Two Amiga Cores?

Golden Mean

Two Amiga Cores?

Unread post by Golden Mean »

I hope I'm not crossing into drama here, especially for my first post, but why are there two Amiga cores? One is called "Amiga" and another "Minimig." However, they seem to use the same cfg files, etc. Which is everyone using? And why? I did notice that the minimig has been updated more recenlty.
KnC

Re: Two Amiga Cores?

Unread post by KnC »

there is only one core and its called minimig but to make things easier for people the update script when you first run it makes a folder called amiga for you to put the files needed to run the core in
Golden Mean

But I actually have two cores: Amiga_20200407 and Minimig_20200529. And I didn't manually place them in the Cores folder. The only difference I've noticed so far is that the Amiga core allows me to display 1440P, but the Minimig will not.
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

when you start the core named as amiga and open the osd what does it say down the left hand side of the osd
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

KnC wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:26 am there is only one core and its called minimig but to make things easier for people the update script when you first run it makes a folder called amiga for you to put the files needed to run the core in
Strange, I had to manually add the Amiga folder on my SD card.
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

Washac wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:33 am
KnC wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:26 am there is only one core and its called minimig but to make things easier for people the update script when you first run it makes a folder called amiga for you to put the files needed to run the core in
yeah from update script

2019-08-21 - Implemented CREATE_CORES_DIRECTORIES; when "true" (default value), the updater will create the core directory (i.e. /media/fat/Amiga for Minimig core, /media/fat/SNES for SNES core) the first time the core is downloaded

so maybe you changed the default option
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

KnC wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:37 am
Washac wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:33 am
yeah from update script

2019-08-21 - Implemented CREATE_CORES_DIRECTORIES; when "true" (default value), the updater will create the core directory (i.e. /media/fat/Amiga for Minimig core, /media/fat/SNES for SNES core) the first time the core is downloaded

so maybe you changed the default option
Nope I did not touch any scripts, but I think I know the reason, its maybe because I use the Mac OS SD Card install script.
Could also be the reason why I only have the Minimig core.
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

Using the offical updater will only get the rbf named minimig from the mister git, you was talking about adding the amiga folder yourself manually
the folder will only be added if you have not changed that option and the official mister updater script is run with no minnimig core on the sd card instead of making a minimig folder it creates a folder called Amiga
Golden Mean

KnC wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:21 am when you start the core named as amiga and open the osd what does it say down the left hand side of the osd
It states, "Minimig." That's why this is weird to me. They both look the same except for the core name, the date of the core, and the fact that I can't start the most recent minimig in 1440P. I don't remember manually including it, so I just assumed it got uploaded it using the updater. I do use a couple of updaters, the official and jotega's/, so I'm not exactly sure where it came from. I would just use the most recent, but it isn't loading with 1440P.

At this point, I'm just curious where it came from?
apolkosnik

Unread post by apolkosnik »

Golden Mean wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:01 am But I actually have two cores: Amiga_20200407 and Minimig_20200529. And I didn't manually place them in the Cores folder. The only difference I've noticed so far is that the Amiga core allows me to display 1440P, but the Minimig will not.
You meant that it will work with your 1440p monitor, and cover the whole screen?
Golden Mean

apolkosnik wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:37 pm
Golden Mean wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:01 am But I actually have two cores: Amiga_20200407 and Minimig_20200529. And I didn't manually place them in the Cores folder. The only difference I've noticed so far is that the Amiga core allows me to display 1440P, but the Minimig will not.
You meant that it will work with your 1440p monitor, and cover the whole screen?
Sorry for abandoning this thread. I got busy with work. No, I stick with the original aspect ratio and use my 4k TV to zoom to 4:3. It still scales to 1440P. My Sony handles PC resolutions well. Anyway, since the recent update making 1440P official, I haven't had any problems. I also figured out why I had two cores. I copied Mister folders from a friend, and he changed the name to Amiga to make it easier to remember it was Amiga. I'm sorry, I didn't realize this sooner. Anyway, now that I have a handle on Mister, I deleted everything and started all over. Everything is running smooth, and only one Minimig core. Sorry for my absent mindedness! I'm fairly embarrassed by the whole situation.