Unable to use MIDI/TCP for connecting to BBS

Lisko

Unable to use MIDI/TCP for connecting to BBS

Unread post by Lisko »

Hi, I'm perfectly able to connect with ppp and miamidx tcp/ip stack. I would like to use an old terminal program like ncomm or term48 to connect to a bbs using serial modem emulation without tcp/ip. On c64 core with striketerm I can connect using midi/remote/tcp, but with minimig and same settings on serial.device I can't, the terminal says modem not ready and doesn't even try atdt... Suggestions? A bug? I know that I could use tcp/ip and telser.device and works except for zmodem transfers but with mister shouldn't be necessary.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: Unable to use MIDI/TCP for connecting to BBS

Unread post by bbond007 »

The TCP/IP stack you installed is possibly starting in s:startup-sequence or s:user-startup and preventing the terminal program from accessing the serial port.

Make sure you are using the correct BAUD (default is 115200).
The OSD "Change UART Baud" (or Soundfont) option(s) won't work (for now) unless you have updated MidiLink.

I might be able to be of more help if you list the specific TCP/IP and terminal program you are using...
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

bbond007 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:37 pm The TCP/IP stack you installed is possibly starting in s:startup-sequence or s:user-startup and preventing the terminal program from accessing the serial port.

Make sure you are using the correct BAUD (default is 115200).
The OSD "Change UART Baud" (or Soundfont) option(s) won't work (for now) unless you have updated MidiLink.

I might be able to be of more help if you list the specific TCP/IP and terminal program you are using...
MiamiDX and ncomm or term48. I'll try later on a clean 3.1 install to be sure nothing is interfering.
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

Ok, got it connecting to some bbses! Unfortunately transfers are not working, tried with zmodem and ymodem. Are they working for you in midi/tcp mode?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Lisko wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:58 am Ok, got it connecting to some bbses! Unfortunately transfers are not working, tried with zmodem and ymodem. Are they working for you in midi/tcp mode?
I have no trouble transferring files with Zmodem. I use NCOMM 3 with xprzmodem.library.

http://aminet.net/package/comm/term/xprzmodem

What happens if you try to download a file locally from the Linux filesystem with the "ATSZ" command?
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

bbond007 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:58 pm
Lisko wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:58 am Ok, got it connecting to some bbses! Unfortunately transfers are not working, tried with zmodem and ymodem. Are they working for you in midi/tcp mode?
I have no trouble transferring files with Zmodem. I use NCOMM 3 with xprzmodem.library.

http://aminet.net/package/comm/term/xprzmodem

What happens if you try to download a file locally from the Linux filesystem with the "ATSZ" command?
With ATSZ the transfer is fine, I also tried that lib and I still get bad crc errors from the bbs I'm connecting to. Maybe it's the bbs the problem (it runs on cnet) but with DCTelnet I can download fine from that. I also tried Ymodem and Xmodem but is the same. The only thing that drive me crazy is that with DCTelnet works but looks ugly, I can always use ncomm for browsing and DCTelnet for transfers but....
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

I have good old telnetd installed on the Linux side of the MiSTer, and then I use AmTelnet to telnet to the MiSTer.

AmTelnet also supports zmodem through the xprzmodem.library from (among others) the Term package, so you can use sz/rz from the lrzsz linux package to transfer files up and down between Amiga and the Linux side (or wherever you have connected further through ssh from the MiSTer).

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/amtelnet
http://aminet.net/package/comm/term/Term
bbond007
Top Contributor

Lisko wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:40 pm With ATSZ the transfer is fine, I also tried that lib and I still get bad crc errors from the bbs I'm connecting to. Maybe it's the bbs the problem (it runs on cnet) but with DCTelnet I can download fine from that. I also tried Ymodem and Xmodem but is the same. The only thing that drive me crazy is that with DCTelnet works but looks ugly, I can always use ncomm for browsing and DCTelnet for transfers but....
What happens if you change baud to 57600 or 38400, still get CRC errors?
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

bbond007 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:59 am
Lisko wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:40 pm With ATSZ the transfer is fine, I also tried that lib and I still get bad crc errors from the bbs I'm connecting to. Maybe it's the bbs the problem (it runs on cnet) but with DCTelnet I can download fine from that. I also tried Ymodem and Xmodem but is the same. The only thing that drive me crazy is that with DCTelnet works but looks ugly, I can always use ncomm for browsing and DCTelnet for transfers but....
What happens if you change baud to 57600 or 38400, still get CRC errors?
Yes even at 38400 I get bad data packet crc-32 @ 0. I tested another bbs and there downloads works fine. The only strange thing is that dctelnet works fine. Not the end of the world I'll use dctelnet for downloading from there. Thanks for your support.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Lisko wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:39 am Yes even at 38400 I get bad data packet crc-32 @ 0. I tested another bbs and there downloads works fine. The only strange thing is that dctelnet works fine. Not the end of the world I'll use dctelnet for downloading from there. Thanks for your support.
I guess not all "Zmodem" implementations are compatible. telser.device and MidiLink/Remote/TCP should theoretically never get any CRC errors as TCP protocol already has error-checking...
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

bbond007 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:06 am
Lisko wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:39 am Yes even at 38400 I get bad data packet crc-32 @ 0. I tested another bbs and there downloads works fine. The only strange thing is that dctelnet works fine. Not the end of the world I'll use dctelnet for downloading from there. Thanks for your support.
I guess not all "Zmodem" implementations are compatible. telser.device and MidiLink/Remote/TCP should theoretically never get any CRC errors as TCP protocol already has error-checking...
Must be something like that, maybe some sort of optimization for telnet clients which break compatibility with terminal programs. It's not only a problem with zmodem but also with xmodem and ymodem. I also tried with several different terminals.