Shared Folder Discussion

Sorgelig
Site Admin

Shared Folder Discussion

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Extract from ReadMe:

All required files (and sources) are in extra/MiSTer_share.lha

Amiga driver is based on Niklas Ekström [a314](https://github.com/niklasekstrom/a314) driver.

On Amiga:
- copy dummy.device to DEVS:
- copy MountList to DEVS: (or add content from MountList to existing file)
- copy MiSTerFileSystem to L:
- open CLI and type there: mount share:
- MiSTer drive will appear on main WB screen. If it will work, then you can add this command into user-startup file, and it will be mounted at every boot.

On Linux side the folder is "shared" inside Amiga folder.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Re: Shared Folder Discussion

known issues:
1) On WB 3.1/3.9 after copy/move/delete the icons, you have to manually choose Window->Update option to get window updated.
The root of this issue is unknown.

2) On WB 3.1 if deleting folder isn't empty, the content will be removed while folder itself won't. Just delete it one more time.
Technical info: WB creates the lock on folder which prevents deletion. After deletion, the lock removed. Weird behaviour.. Is it WB bug?

3) WB 3.1 (3.9 too?) doesn't display correct total/used size on window header for large SD cards.

WB 3.1.4 currently has no known issues. It's considered as most compatible with shared folder.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

When it will be robust, it can be used as a normal hard disk drive for something big like WHDLoad collection, so you won't need a big hard drive.
uigiflip

Unread post by uigiflip »

so is this the mister version of the pidisk from a314 project?
Ultimate MiSTer Blissbox pro version, Replay Vidor version, Replay 2, Real Amiga's 500+, 500+ with pi storm, a1200 in cd32 special edition case. https://www.twitch.tv/uigiflip
aToyRobot

Unread post by aToyRobot »

I'm afraid to report that this doesn't work for me.

I have updated to the latest version of the core (manually, downloaded from github), added the mount config and installed the driver files as per your instructions. When I run the mount command on the CLI I get no output, but the CLI locks up. I wonder if I've done something wrong, for example I have put my 'shared' directory in the Amiga directory in the root of my SD card, is that the correct location?

I think the hard disk file I have is on WB3.1, but I do have the disk images and a license for 3.1.4 so could try upgrading if necessary.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

aToyRobot wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:44 pm When I run the mount command on the CLI I get no output, but the CLI locks up.
Did you update Minimig_AGA.rbf and Main_MiSTer?
aToyRobot

bbond007 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 pm Did you update Minimig_AGA.rbf and MiSTer?
I updated Minimig, but not the MiSTer firmware (I had somewhat forgotten that you could), perhaps that's it. Will try that and report back.
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

work for me !!! and very simple

very easy to transfert files to amiga side now

thanks
CPC-Power Staff
aToyRobot

I have updated my main MiSter firmware and this is now working. The share is visible on the workbench desktop and the files that I added to the SD Card are visible. This is going to make file transfer much less of a hassle

Thanks for this Sorgelig, and all of the work you do on MiSTer in general
bbond007
Top Contributor

Sorgelig wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:16 pm WB 3.1.4 currently has no known issues. It's considered as most compatible with shared folder.
Yes WB 3.1.4 works very well. Thank you very much! This is a much desired feature.

I also tried it on 3.1 with ClassicWB ADV:

The drive icon pops up as "SHARE:Sorg" and you can't open it. This is probably something to do with Scalos which is a Workbench replacement included with ClassicWB ADV. You can go into DirectoryOpus or CLI and access "SHARE:", so it does still work...
Sorgelig
Site Admin

uigiflip wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:23 pm so is this the mister version of the pidisk from a314 project?
No. I've used part of Amiga driver from a314 project, but communication channel and linux side are completely different.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

bbond007 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:37 pm I also tried it on 3.1 with ClassicWB ADV:

The drive icon pops up as "SHARE:Sorg" and you can't open it. This is probably something to do with Scalos which is a Workbench replacement included with ClassicWB ADV. You can go into DirectoryOpus or CLI and access "SHARE:", so it does still work...
ClassicWB has additional bug to normal WB3.1 - second fantome icon. Check precisely - there must be another real icon called "MiSTer" - it works fine. At least this is how it works for me. So, just ignore the "SHARE:Sorg" icon, use MiSTer icon.
Probably it will be fixed later.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

btw, my setup of WB3.9 is ClassicWB but it doesn't use Scalos as far as i see. It's normal Workbench and it still has that fantome icon. I think it's "feature" of ClassicWB tweaks..
Sorgelig
Site Admin

i found workaround against fantom icon in ClassicWB:
in mountlist remove line
Mount = 1
then in startup script after mount share: add line:
dir share: >NIL:
bbond007
Top Contributor

Sorgelig wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm btw, my setup of WB3.9 is ClassicWB but it doesn't use Scalos as far as i see. It's normal Workbench and it still has that fantome icon. I think it's "feature" of ClassicWB tweaks..
I had to refresh my memory, but there are 9 distinct versions of classic WB --> http://classicwb.abime.net/index.htm

Some use Scalos, some don't. I was using the "ADV" version with WB 3.1. Looks like the 3.5 and 3.9 version do not.

With "ADV", after I edited the Mountlist I no longer got "SHARE:Sorg" initially (after mounting), however after "dir share: >NIL:" the phantom "SHARE:Sorg" icon appeared, but still no "MiSTer:" icon. (even after refreshing backdrop)

In CLI and DirectoryOpus "SHARE:" and "MiSTer:" both work which is great :) Just reporting the behavior for anyone else who might have been using Scalos.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Attempting to copy zip files into to the shared folder from AmigaOS does not work, ends up in "can't open file.zip for output - file does not exist" error.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

More... uhm... issues:

The ".." and "." are not treated right, they appear to be treated as subfolders, and one can `cd share:../../../..` and "escape" the shared folder all the way to / of the MiSTer, and since the user running the core is root, one can ruin the entire MiSTer from within AmigaOS - isn't that something? :)

Also, if you enter a subdir on SHARE: and then try `cd /`it doesn't work.

It is a little confused about casing, but that's not a big deal.

Trying to write non-ascii character in filenames is ignored alltogether it seems.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

kolla wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 am More... uhm... issues:

The ".." and "." are not treated right, they appear to be treated as subfolders, and one can `cd share:../../../..` and "escape" the shared folder all the way to / of the MiSTer, and since the user running the core is root, one can ruin the entire MiSTer from within AmigaOS - isn't that something? :)

Also, if you enter a subdir on SHARE: and then try `cd /`it doesn't work.

It is a little confused about casing, but that's not a big deal.

Trying to write non-ascii character in filenames is ignored alltogether it seems.
good catch. I will handle ".." in path.
Does Amiga support .. in paths originally?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

bbond007 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:15 am
Sorgelig wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm btw, my setup of WB3.9 is ClassicWB but it doesn't use Scalos as far as i see. It's normal Workbench and it still has that fantome icon. I think it's "feature" of ClassicWB tweaks..
I had to refresh my memory, but there are 9 distinct versions of classic WB --> http://classicwb.abime.net/index.htm

Some use Scalos, some don't. I was using the "ADV" version with WB 3.1. Looks like the 3.5 and 3.9 version do not.

With "ADV", after I edited the Mountlist I no longer got "SHARE:Sorg" initially (after mounting), however after "dir share: >NIL:" the phantom "SHARE:Sorg" icon appeared, but still no "MiSTer:" icon. (even after refreshing backdrop)

In CLI and DirectoryOpus "SHARE:" and "MiSTer:" both work which is great :) Just reporting the behavior for anyone else who might have been using Scalos.
it seems original glitch with fantom icon combined with Scalos makes original icon to disappear.
May be you can try to find the root of issue causing that fantom icon to appear?
The issue is not in Scalos but somewhere else. I don't use Scalos and still have fantom icon. Also my WB is 3.9 while your is 3.1.. So it seems some tweak in ClassicWB. Original WB3.1 has no such icon.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Sorgelig wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 am good catch. I will handle ".." in path.
No. / refers to the parent directory, and : to root of volume.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

rhester72 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:11 pm
Sorgelig wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 am good catch. I will handle ".." in path.
No. / refers to the parent directory, and : to root of volume.
shoudn't / be a delimiter in path?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

oh, really...
So i need to rewrite the path handling.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Current directory is "" BTW
Sorgelig
Site Admin

rhester72 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 pm Current directory is "" BTW
it seems not really "" but path inside the quotes which protects the names with spaces. Quotes aren't passed to driver as far as i see.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Sorgelig wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:10 am May be you can try to find the root of issue causing that fantom icon to appear?
I will try and figure it out...
Sorgelig
Site Admin

With latest Main paths should work correctly.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Sorgelig wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:31 am With latest Main paths should work correctly.
Indeed, great work! :)

Still cannot copy zip files to SHARE: - I copied a zip files to /media/fat/Amiga/shared on the linux side, and from the Amiga side this file looks like a directory.... but not one I can enter or do anything about ("wrong file type" error) - I guess this is a unintended feature of how the firmware treats zip files elsewhere?

As I mentioned earlier, there's a small casing issue - I have a SHARE:Mods directory, and normally I would expect "cd share:mods" to take me to this directory, and it does, but the shell prompt path (and ouptut of "cd") says "MiSTer:mods" and not "MiSTer:Mods", as I would have expected. It's a minor thing, I suspect this may just be a side effect of how FAT filesystems is treated on Linux... :)

Another weirdness with Workbench though - if you mark an icon inside SHARE: and go to icon menu and "leave out", it will be placed on the workbench desktop, like expected. But if you go to window menu and select "update", it will still be visible in SHARE: as well. I've never seen this happen with other filesystems from what I recall. (In case you wonder, when you do select "leave out", a file will be created, SHARE:.backdrop that contains relative paths to the files/directories that are left out).
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Oh, could the path to the shared directory be a configuration option somewhere, pretty please? :)
Sorgelig
Site Admin

kolla wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:20 pm Oh, could the path to the shared directory be a configuration option somewhere, pretty please? :)
give a finger - they will eat the whole hand... ;)
Sorgelig
Site Admin

zip fix has been committed to repo. It will be available in next Main release.
As for problems in WB it's unlikely i will fix it myself. Amiga OS is unknown to me. Sources for Amiga driver is available, so anyone more professional in AmigaOS can provide fixes.