ADF Storage ?

Washac

ADF Storage ?

Unread post by Washac »

I am new to all this so please be gentle with me :)
I have setup an SD card with Workbench and WHDLoad, I recently heard said that some WHDLoad games can run faster than what they should so I would like to store ADFs onto the SD Card, where/in what directory should I put them ?

Thanks.
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Re: ADF Storage ?

Unread post by breiztiger »

games\amiga

and select with F12
CPC-Power Staff
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Washac wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:32 pm I recently heard said that some WHDLoad games can run faster than what they should.
I know it used to happen under emulation, especially where cycle-exact is not possible. Have you actually seen it happen yet on your setup?
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

breiztiger wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:16 pm games\amiga

and select with F12
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

akeley wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:46 pm
Washac wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:32 pm I recently heard said that some WHDLoad games can run faster than what they should.
I know it used to happen under emulation, especially where cycle-exact is not possible. Have you actually seen it happen yet on your setup?
Nope, but I have seen somebody playing WHDLoad games on a MiSter and it was happening.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

What games?
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

One-on-One is definitely too fast, but it more or less always has been, even on hardware.
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

akeley wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:57 pmWhat games?
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 to name one.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I'm interested in this because games running at wrong speeds were (are?) one of the big problems in Amiberry. I'd rather avoid it here.

About One-on-one Larry bird, I thought they sorted it out? At least in emulation it's disable JIT, enable cycle exact http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=409513&postcount=12

I will try Lotus later, if you know about any more games please post the names too.

EDIT: have played Lotus 2 for a bit yesterday (first time in +20 years :) and can't say I could observe any speed-related problems. Though this game is pretty fast already so if the differences are subtle they might be hard to catch.

Could it also be related to PAL/NTSC? I think MegaAGS defaults to NTSC so maybe that could confuse somebody used to slower PAL versions.
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

akeley wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 pm I'm interested in this because games running at wrong speeds were (are?) one of the big problems in Amiberry. I'd rather avoid it here.

About One-on-one Larry bird, I thought they sorted it out? At least in emulation it's disable JIT, enable cycle exact http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=409513&postcount=12

I will try Lotus later, if you know about any more games please post the names too.

EDIT: have played Lotus 2 for a bit yesterday (first time in +20 years :) and can't say I could observe any speed-related problems. Though this game is pretty fast already so if the differences are subtle they might be hard to catch.

Could it also be related to PAL/NTSC? I think MegaAGS defaults to NTSC so maybe that could confuse somebody used to slower PAL versions.
I think you may well be right about the PAL/NTSC assumption on the speed issue.
Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

The MegaAGS launcher scripts default to NTSC if the game is compatible, otherwise it will launch games in PAL mode. It is possible to force either mode via the settings menu.
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

Optiroc wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:29 pm The MegaAGS launcher scripts default to NTSC if the game is compatible, otherwise it will launch games in PAL mode. It is possible to force either mode via the settings menu.
OK, thanks.