No 3.5mm Analogue Audio With IO Board v6.1

thefirebutton

No 3.5mm Analogue Audio With IO Board v6.1

Unread post by thefirebutton »

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. I don't see a troubleshooting specific topic. I've had a search but can't find any solution to this anywhere...

I've just put together a new MiSTer using a v6.1 IO board. Everything seemed to be good while I was using the HDMI out, but I've now (simultaneously) plugged headphones into the 3.5mm audio out socket on the IO board and don't seem to be able to get any audio out of it.

I realise there's a high probability that I'm being an idiot and have missed something obvious, but can anyone tell me how to get this working?

Regarding the IO board installation; I've set the SW3 switch on the nano board to "on" before installation as per the instructions. The pre installed fan, reset button and osd button all appear to work without issue. I've not seen any LED light anywhere yet.

thanks in advance
Simon
thefirebutton

Re: No 3.5mm Analogue Audio With IO Board v6.1

Unread post by thefirebutton »

Just in case anyone else has this problem. I asked the good folks at misterfpga.co.uk (where I bought the board from) for help and got a reply within minutes. Apparently the SW3 switch on the v6.1 board that I have shouldn't be set to on. All switch should be set according to this pic.

https://misterfpga.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... ration.png

Set accordingly and now everything now works. The best bit, is that all the LEDs work too and the whole think looks really flash and whizzy.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

I will say this, the 3.5mm audio jack also has a mini-TOSLINK optical jack built into the same thing, on the Analog I/O board.

I did have the 3.5mm audio jack working but the sound was quiet to my headphones, so had to pipe it into a headphone amp. Once I did that, the EMI (electromagnetic interference) was so bad that I bought a mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable, bought a cheap DAC (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZPYS818/) that could do both headphone out and RCA out, and have been using that instead ever since for both CRT and headphone play. Much better.

That being said, here's some stuff that might fix your setup.

1. When you say you see no LED lights, does that include the 3 status lights next ot the 3 buttons on the I/O board? If that's true, then something is either wrong with your I/O board or it's installed incorrectly somehow.

2. I remember I had some ini setting I was toggling to troubleshoot one of my issues like this awhile ago. Maybe try turn off hdmi_audio_96k option in the mister.ini file?

3. To troubleshoot it, just to see if there is something going on with the HDMI audio taking precedent, turn on dvi_mode in the mister.ini if #2 didn't do anything for you. Remember you did this since it will disable audio over HDMI when you do.
birdybro~
macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

I wouldn't have thought that the 3.5mm audio jack would directly drive headphones - I think it is just line out levels
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee