Help with Component video out from IO board.

seastalker

Help with Component video out from IO board.

Unread post by seastalker »

I got the Mister Addons "VGA to Component / YPbPr Cable" and am having trouble getting it to work. With my new IO board (latest at time of writing), I have HDMI going to LED Samsung and component going to CRT.

I've updated Mister from scripts. Picture is great via HDMI but no go on Component. I tried adjusting video settings in the Mister.ini script to switch my 800 by 600 to 640 by 480 thinking my CRT had limited resolution and the Mister was out of range. I then toggled back and forth between those resolutions and enabled YPbPr and then tried enabling C Sync because the option said it was for compatibility.

No go so far and I am sure it must be a setting I've missed. My HD Retrovision cables on my Genesis work a treat on the CRT, and I even tried plugging component into my Samsung flat panel (normally the port for the wii) but no go so I am doubting it is strictly a resolution settings change.

Anyone? Thank you!
redsteakraw

Re: Help with Component video out from IO board.

Unread post by redsteakraw »

You need to use sink on green and set the switch on the IO board to sink on green. Component sinks on the green cable. You won't be able to use the mister on your consumer CRT TV for the linux frame buffer used in the update scripts or the AO486 PC setups as those are outputting a incompatible signal that is out of range for your TV. That and forget about even trying the vectrex unless you have a vector monitor just use the HDMI output for that core as I think it can damage your CRT. The IOBoard outputs the analog signals that the native cores support so it can only output what those console cores native output are.
Fear is the mind killer!
seastalker

I found the SOG switch on the IO board (the only switch) and moved it from its default position of 'Auto' to 'OVR' (I assume OVR means OVER as in 'sync OVER Green'?) but still no go. I re-checked the github about mister.ini but don't see a setting for selecting sync on green additionally there if that is what you meant. What are the exact .ini settings I should be using or does anyone have pre-set .ini files pre-configured they might attach?

When I get this set, it will be nice to use the "toggle .ini on the fly" features so I can plug in to VGA monitor, component, HDMI, etc.

That is a great warning about Not using the Vectrex vore on your CRT as it may damage it! I'd feel bad for BVM/PVM owners especially! An idea: Though it may mess with the updater, I may rename my Vectrex core adding verbiage like "NOT FOR CRT!" even if I get a duplicate core from the updater, alphabetically I should see it next to it as a reminder. Does this warning apply to VGA CRT monitors as well?
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Make sure you have composite_sync and vga_scaler set to 0 in the ini and you should have a signal just the colors will be off unless you set ypbpr=1.
Fear is the mind killer!
seastalker

Thank you all, I finally got it going. At first, it seemed component was looking great but at the expense of my HDMI signal which was running all garbled on many/most cores. I togged some lower resoultions then back to where I was and all worked out. It may have had a temporary glitch like what happens when toggling cores and one must power cycle to clear the leftovers (ram or cache I'm guessing).

Surprisingly, a nice bonus over my old way of using HDMI to an SVIDEO converter is that where 800x600 or 640x480 were my prior ceiling, now I can set to 1920x1080 which works for both my flat panel, and doesn't cause weird artifacts on my CRT through component. I think I pushed my flat tv to 1440p or 1536p on HDMI alone, but this proves too much on dual output- I am more than happy with 1080p. :) My set isn't 4k.

The downside of playing on the CRT tv is that PAL computer cores expectedly flicker but an odd thing is that arcade cores can rotate orientation fine on the flat panel but does nothing on the CRT. That's a huge bummer, but I can play strider and more so no complaints. Sega System 1 games like Flick are cut off where I must choose to cut the top of the screen or bottom when dialing in H pos and V pos settings.

Any suggested .ini settings to plug a Computer monitor CRT via it's hardwired VGA? I may use that for the (most) computer cores and any arcade cores that alter orientation with ease. For VGA, must I flip the green sync switch on the IO board? Thanks!