Did I permanently damage my IO Board, or is it ok?

Zesty

Did I permanently damage my IO Board, or is it ok?

Unread post by Zesty »

Background:

On my IO board, I trimmed and re-flowed the leads on the LED headers to better fit the RTC spacer. During the process I accidentally removed the capacitor at C2. I soldered the capacitor back on and put the IO board back on the DE-10, but my MiSTer wouldn't power on. I removed the IO board and the DE-10 booted normally. I was hoping it was just a bad joint so I re-flowed the solder for C2 and now everything appears to be working correctly.

Question:

Is my IO Board and/or DE-10 probably fine, or am I likely to have damaged one or both of them when I tried to power them on? Are there any tests I should run?
legacypixels

Re: Did I permanently damage my IO Board, or is it ok?

Unread post by legacypixels »

Check that the headers aren't shorted, you have power and ground next to each other, and verify that the C2 pads aren't shorted.
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
Zesty

Re: Did I permanently damage my IO Board, or is it ok?

Unread post by Zesty »

I double-checked and there are no shorts. Everything appears to be functioning normally now.

Since it started working again as soon as I re-flowed the solder for the capacitor at C2, it seems like the only issue was a bad joint there.

Is there any reason to assume that the IO board or DE-10 might have been damaged when I attempted to power them up while C2 was disconnected? If not, I'll stop worrying.

(Edit: Over a month later and it's still working fine. So if any damage occurred, it wasn't a fatal blow. :lol: )