I/O Board 6.1 Low volume from 3.5mm jack

MAPPY

I/O Board 6.1 Low volume from 3.5mm jack

Unread post by MAPPY »

Hello. Some time ago I soldered myself this board and finally received scart cable from Lotharek. The image is perfect, but sound is so low that I need to turn volume to the max to hear something and most I hear is the speaker buzzing. I also tested on two pairs of my headphones with same results on all cores. No problems with sound on HDMI. Did I miss something in .ini file?
jdsilva

Re: I/O Board 6.1 Low volume from 3.5mm jack

Unread post by jdsilva »

Pretty sure that Jack is line level, not amplified. It's meant to go into an amp before a loudspeaker or headphone.
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

I've experienced this and it depends on the core and the TV set used. An atari-forum.com user comments he solved this problem using a cheap 6J1 tube preamplifier.

I'd also check global volume and core volume are on max setting.
MAPPY

Unread post by MAPPY »

Finally found time to fix it somehow.
jdsilva wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:33 pm Pretty sure that Jack is line level, not amplified. It's meant to go into an amp before a loudspeaker or headphone.
pacoarcade wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:36 pm I've experienced this and it depends on the core and the TV set used. An atari-forum.com user comments he solved this problem using a cheap 6J1 tube preamplifier.

I'd also check global volume and core volume are on max setting.
You guys were right. I changed 3.5 audio jack and spdif led since it did not met the specs, thus no digital audio. After adding new mini jack there was an minor improvement. Bought something like thisfor like $5, connected to my crt and sound is here, loud and clear. So yeah, definitely need some amp or something for mister. Thanks again for help
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

I solved this problem using a Divlpoetry TUBE-6J1 preamplifier (with 6K4 tubes). It sounds great now, and the volume control allows to easily correct the volume differences between cores.