IO Board Buttons Don't Work (turns out they were just finicky) [Solved]

TheMrAwesomeness

IO Board Buttons Don't Work (turns out they were just finicky) [Solved]

Unread post by TheMrAwesomeness »

I finally received a MiSTer case, but before I put my case together, I want to fix one problem I have, so I don't have to worry about opening the case later on. The reset, OSD, and user buttons on my IO board have never worked, and I don't see any info about what the cause of that could be. It isn't the hugest deal, but I would like to have a fully functional device. Does anyone know if there's a switch I have to flip or something to enable the IO board button funcionality? All of the install videos I've seen, they ignore the four switches on the DE-10 nano before they put the IO board on. Could it be something else?
OriginalXOR

Re: IO Board Buttons Don't Work

Unread post by OriginalXOR »

It depends if you have a Digital or Analog IO board but yes the switches on the DE10 are important.

Turn your DE10 so the switches are at the bottom of the board with the Network port on the RIGHT.

Analog IO - Down-Down-Down-Down
DIGITAL IO - UP-Down-Down-Down
TheMrAwesomeness

I have an analog IO and I have all the switches in the same direction. Hmm, I wonder what could be the issue, then. Whenever I turn on my MiSTer, the red and green lights blink, and the yellow one doesn't light up. I don't know if that means anything.
jdeberhart

Unread post by jdeberhart »

TheMrAwesomeness wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:02 am I have an analog IO and I have all the switches in the same direction. Hmm, I wonder what could be the issue, then. Whenever I turn on my MiSTer, the red and green lights blink, and the yellow one doesn't light up. I don't know if that means anything.
The yellow light is typically used as a disk access light. You generally won't see it light up unless there's disk activity from a computer core or CD activity from a CD-based console core.
TheMrAwesomeness

Ah, gotcha, OK, so the yellow light not turning on is normal, then. I'm really stumped with the IO board buttons, I know all the pins are connected when I connect the IO board. I checked the switches and they're all down, and the smaller white dip switches on the other side of the board are in the correct spots, as well (up, down, up, down, up, up). Anyone know what else it could be? Again, it's not the end of the world, I can bring up the OSD and reset the device easily with controllers or a keyboard, but I would just like to know that my buttons work.
TheMrAwesomeness

OK, I was able to get the buttons to work. Turns out they're completely functional, but very finicky about HOW you push them. A simple light press (even if you hear the button click) doesn't work, at least on mine. You have to press it hard enough and at a specific angle, otherwise it won't work. Alrighty then, now time to assemble my aluminum case.