USB Hub v2.1 - Doesn't work and hopefully someone can help?

soydemadrid

USB Hub v2.1 - Doesn't work and hopefully someone can help?

Unread post by soydemadrid »

Hi I've made a USB 2.1 hub board using this guide: https://ezcontents.org/mister-usb-hub-21-smd-soldering

However I can't seem to get it working.

I'm trying with just a micro usb male-to-male cable, as I don't have the L-shaped connector bracket.

When I plug the power jack in, the red LED just flashes once.

No usb devices work, and I've tried adding a jumper across P2 but that doesn't seem to help.

Can anyone please help me with how to test why this isn't working? Also can anyone confirm if the USB2.1 hub can be used via a micros usb cable to the DE10-nano - or is that L-shaped bracket required?

Thanks for any help or advice.
MorkMikael

Re: USB Hub v2.1 - Doesn't work and hopefully someone can help?

Unread post by MorkMikael »

as far as i know you need to use the micro usb port on the usb board or the L-shaped connector bracket and use the micro connector on the de10-nano.
or a MiSTer USB Bridge Short Connectors.
legacypixels

Unread post by legacypixels »

Is r1 in the r1a or r1 position?
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
soydemadrid

Hi thanks for the replies
legacypixels wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:23 pm Is r1 in the r1a or r1 position?
I've tried both positions and neither work. Can anyone confirm if the usb hub can work with just a micro usb cable from its micro usb port directly to the Nano's one, or is the L-shaped bracket required?
evilsim

Unread post by evilsim »

any functional usb micro to micro cable will work. (usb bridge pcb or not)
i have had times where a cable does not work so try another cable if you are confident in your solders.
USB hub 2.1 is meant to just flash red just once (when you apply power), then as the mister boots up and then detects a functional usb-usb connection between de10nano and usbhub, the light will come on full-time, then when you connect a device, its LED should also light up too.
goodluck!
soydemadrid

That's odd... does the cable have to be OTG? The one I bought did say OTG and is like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132823083225

I get the initial one flash of red, then nothing else. Do I have to set some jumper pins somewhere? What's the correct setup for using a micro usb cable with r1/r1a and jumpers? thanks again
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

I could be wrong but... The usb addon board itself handles the OTG side. That's why it has the usb controller chip on it. That's all a usb otg cable is, is a cable with a usb controller chip on it. EDIT: I was wrong! :P

First thing's first, I would get a non-otg micro usb to micro usb cable.

Next I would check the schematic of the micro usb adapter from the Hardware_MiSTer repo and see if it's actually a cross over connector. If it is, then your cable you use needs to be a cross over as well. But my guess is the problem is because you are using an OTG cable, because then you have two usb hosts ganged into one another, and the mister firmware probably can't communicate with that.

Also the usb controller on that board has some very fine pitch soldering required. Make sure you didn't bridge any of the pins.
birdybro~
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

aberu wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:51 pm .... That's all a usb otg cable is, is a cable with a usb controller chip on it....
:?: A USB OTG cable is just a cable with an added connection on the micro USB side. It can also have a resistor (used for phones and I forgot the reason). It is really easy to make one
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

jca wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:56 pm
aberu wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:51 pm .... That's all a usb otg cable is, is a cable with a usb controller chip on it....
:?: A USB OTG cable is just a cable with an added connection on the micro USB side. It can also have a resistor (used for phones and I forgot the reason). It is really easy to make one
Oh? I thought that it was able to act as the host whereas a regular cable was not. That's why I prefaced with "I could be wrong but..." after all! :D

Does OP have power going to the usb board as well?
birdybro~
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Here it is, the resistor is there if you also want to charge your phone via the OTG cable. For MISTer it can just be a short.
Edit:
When I said easy it is theoretical as you have to take apart the micro USB plug :(
Attachments
OTG cable.jpg
OTG cable.jpg (35.67 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
soydemadrid

Hi thanks guys, so do you think I need a non-OTG cable then?
soydemadrid

Also can anyone help out what pin/jumper the p1/p2 should be on if using micro-usb to micro-usb cable? Thanks