USB Hub not functioning after a cold reboot

silentheaven83

USB Hub not functioning after a cold reboot

Unread post by silentheaven83 »

Hi everybody,

sorry for the dumb question. I was playing Castlevania on GBA few hours ago and I asked a cold reboot from the OSD. After that, every device connected to the USB HUB (v2.1), including the keyboard, gamepad and wifi adapter, stopped working.

I tried to plug and unplug them but nothing changed, like the HUB was totally disconnected, none of the LEDs was on.
Then I turned off and on the MISTer and everything went back to normal.

Then I tried to reproduce "the bug" but even if I loaded the same game the cold reboot worked correctly.

Do I need to be worried about this?
Thanks!
DiamondDave

Re: USB Hub not functioning after a cold reboot

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Maybe 1 out of every 10-15 times I turn on my MiSTer (either by using the on-off switch on my digital I/O board or unplugging the unit) the USB hub doesn't power on with the rest of it. I just have to unplug the barrel connector, plug it back in, and everything starts up properly.

It's done this for close to a year (ever since I got it) and though a minor annoyance it doesn't seem to be a serious problem.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Sounds like both off you could be experience to low power!
I mean to low power from the wallwart/transformer.

The 2A that comes with the DE-10 is on the limit even with not much connected (usbhub/memory/gamepad/keyboard/wifi/bluetooth).
I have never seen this happen with heavy use for over a year with much hooked up to it except wifi/bluetooth/RF stuff, cable or nothing here :ugeek:
But i have the meanwell 4A from misterfpga https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... er-supply/
silentheaven83

Unread post by silentheaven83 »

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01566WOAG/

with an adapter Micro USB -> DC. It's 3A and I don't have USB HDD connected, "only" wifi adapter and the Xbox One controller.

Anyway the next order from Nat (misterfpga.co.uk) will be that PSU.
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

grizzly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:22 am Sounds like both off you could be experience to low power!
I mean to low power from the wallwart/transformer.

The 2A that comes with the DE-10 is on the limit even with not much connected (usbhub/memory/gamepad/keyboard/wifi/bluetooth).
I have never seen this happen with heavy use for over a year with much hooked up to it except wifi/bluetooth/RF stuff, cable or nothing here :ugeek:
But i have the meanwell 4A from misterfpga https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... er-supply/
I have tried it with both the included power supply and a 5V 4A power supply, and experience the same thing. It is very infrequent though.

It can happen when there is nothing plugged into the hub as well, so it's not a power drain issue. I think maybe there is a loose connection somewhere, but it's not a big deal.