MT32-Pi : About the USB 3.0 cable to link MT32-Pi with the MiSTer

Oliver_Twist

MT32-Pi : About the USB 3.0 cable to link MT32-Pi with the MiSTer

Unread post by Oliver_Twist »

Hi !
I'm new to the MT32-Pi.
I read the web site about the MT32-Pi but I have one question :
I bought my MT32-Pi complete. It came with a very short male male USB 3.1 cable with the MT32-pi.
I want to buy a longer cable in order to place the MT32-Pi and its screen in the right spot for my installation.
(40 to 50 cm would be great ... but maybe it's too long ????)
I understand that this male to male cable used to plug this add on to the I/O port is very sensitive....
Can someone point me in the right direction (for example, a cable sold on amazon ) with a compatible male male 3.0 cable ??
:?:
Stupid Dufus

Re: MT32-Pi : About the USB 3.0 cable to link MT32-Pi with the MiSTer

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

Longer cables can cause issues. The mt32pi wiki page (https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wik ... connection) says this:
Whether you are connecting the Raspberry Pi to the MiSTer using an off-the-shelf USB 3.0 A-A cable and the MiSTer HAT PCB, or with home-made cabling (e.g. cutting up a USB 3.0 cable or using jumper wires), you must use a short cable to ensure reliable operation.

This is because I²C is not really designed to be used over lengths of cable, and so signal degradation can occur due to capacitance in the cable and/or signal reflection. If you experience a corrupted OLED screen display or erratic synth switching behavior (e.g. as in issue #59), try a shorter cable.

The maximum USB cable length that has been tested successfully is ~50cm, and so this should be considered an "extreme" configuration. It is recommended that you try to find a cable <30cm long for a reliable connection. Anything longer is very likely to fail, so please consider this carefully when choosing a cable. Some users have used short jumper wires and still experienced failures because of poor quality of the wires and lack of shielding.
It also has a list of cables and how they perform.
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Long cables won't work

492753-glutman.jpg
492753-glutman.jpg (28.49 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
Oliver_Twist

Unread post by Oliver_Twist »

well.. THANK you, ALL for the quick answer !
Oh and .. Merry Christmas !!