DAC quality on the analog IO board ?

mahen

DAC quality on the analog IO board ?

Unread post by mahen »

Hi !

I'm using an almost bare MiSTer setup ATM, and really don't need more.

However, I currently use the analog output from my HDMI monitor to hook it up to my stereo amplifier.

What happens is, during each screenmode change, the audio is temporarily cut. My questions are :

- are there audio interruptions when using the analog output from the IO board, during modes changes ? (frequent in Amiga games & demos)

- how good is the IO Board DAC ? Sound is very important to me, I would be saddened if the IO Board DAC was not as good as my HDMI monitor DAC.

I could try the Digital IO Board which has optical output but I'm not sure it'll work with my amplifier. Overall, I'm not sure it's worth purchasing an IO board just for the analog output + to have LEDs and button in the official case... Thanks !
mahen

Re: DAC quality on the analog IO board ?

Unread post by mahen »

Now that I think about it, it would be better if I could use the TOSLink input from my amplifier. It that works that means one less conversion and as I don't need anything from the regular IO Board, the other one might be more future proof.

The ideal would be for me JUST to add an optical output but that's beyond my capabilities :)

Similarly, can anyone confirm there is no sound gap / interruption during screenmonde changes when using the optical out ?
nagus

Unread post by nagus »

I use an HDMI audio extractor and haven't noticed audio interruptions.

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIQER0E/

I run the toslink out to a DAC that is connected to my headphone amp.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Hi ! Thanks for your reply. Hopefully, there will be no interruption when using the toslink / jack output from the IOBoard.
Hmm, so what is a little strange is, through HDMI there is actually no interruption in your case (through the extractor). There is one when my monitor or my amplifier acts as an extractor. Thanks !

Edit : did you try Amiga demos / games which dynamically change the screenmode ? For instance, demos displaying stuff in interlaced mode temporarily or flipper games switching to multiball mode temporarily ?
tRAcE

Unread post by tRAcE »

Mahen, are you sure this is not your HDMI monitor interrupting audio an screenmode changes?

For example my Sony 4K TV does this whenever it switches to another resolution for a second.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

> Mahen, are you sure this is not your HDMI monitor interrupting audio an screenmode changes?

Yep, this is indeed my assumption. I just wanted to make sure it's worth adding an I/O board just for having un-interrupted audio (and possibly a slightly better DAC or one less conversion in the case of an optical output). Thanks !