USB hub with one non-working port?

barfood

USB hub with one non-working port?

Unread post by barfood »

SOLVED: It's by design, a USB socket that only outputs power, does not read data.

Original post:--------------
There is one port on my USB hub that doesn't seem to work at all: it's the one next to the power plug, on the side where there is the HDMI connector. There is no green light next to the USB port when I connect something in this port, but all other USB ports in the hub have a green LED next to them when I connect anything. Also, the red LED of the USB hub is turned on when I power the MiSTer, which I suppose means it's operating normally.

Is my USB port broken? Is it meant to connect something else? How can I troubleshoot it? Thanks in advance
Jayde Six

Re: USB hub with one non-working port?

Unread post by Jayde Six »

It will be hard to see once assembled but right above that port it says pwr1 and it only provides power.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

I believe we're talking about the same port (see attach). I never noticed the pwr1 on the board! Then, what could be powered from this port?
Attachments
pwr1.png
pwr1.png (426.59 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
Jayde Six

Unread post by Jayde Six »

I've heard it's for stuff like external drives that require more power to run. Though if you are using the stock power supply with the y splitter cable you still have the limits of the original power supply, it won't give ya more than that.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Some older USB drives had a Y-shaped USB adapter to draw power from a second port. You can use it to power a USB Wii sensor bar. You can just keep a micro usb cable connected for charging your wireless controllers. Anything that draws power from USB but doesn't need data is good to go through that.