Cause found & solution for Pink / Magenta / Purple tinted video on MiSTer I/O Board analog VGA output

trackball

Cause found & solution for Pink / Magenta / Purple tinted video on MiSTer I/O Board analog VGA output

Unread post by trackball »

There were some previous threads about this topic and the symptoms described below on the older Atari forums, but they had been locked, so I am posting this solution here in a new thread.

I had purchased a MiSTer I/O board (v5.2) from a fellow forum member many months ago. The person selling it had assembled it themselves, but the board was incomplete, and missing many of the surface mount resistors and capacitors, as well as the DE-15 ("VGA") connector for the analog video output. After using it for many months mainly for the cooling fan and convenient buttons on top, I decided to order the missing parts and solder them in place to finish the board myself, so I could use the analog video output.

After soldering everything in place, I connected the I/O board back on the MiSTer, and connected a VGA-compatible monitor to the analog video connector. The video signal appeared on the analog monitor! Unfortunately, while sharp and stable and otherwise correct, it had a pinkish or purplish tint to it. The video displayed correctly and with normal colours on the HDMI connector, so the issue seemed to be isolated to the video output on the I/O board.

This pink or purple color stayed no matter what I tried. It was the same on every monitor I tried, every video cable, and with every setting I tried in the MiSTer's .INI file. I also tried re-flowing solder on the VGA connector, and on many of the surface mount components on the I/O board, in case there was a bad connection.

I found multiple reports of people experiencing the exact same symptom with their MiSTer I/O boards when I searched online, but there never seemed to be a very clear resolution as to how they made the pink tint go away, or if they ever fixed the problem they had. Most people seemed to have just replaced their MiSTer I/O board with a new one in order to make the issue go away. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying additional things and seeing if it made it better or worse.

Since the image being outputted on the video connector was recognized correctly by the monitor, and other colours were present in the image, my guess was that the pinkish tint on everything on the display was being caused by either too much of something signal-wise being sent to the monitor, or else too little of something.

When searching online for articles about what would make a VGA video image appear pink or red, I found a mention somewhere saying that a LACK OF THE GREEN VIDEO SIGNAL would make a VGA image on a monitor appear very pink or purple.

I started looking at the schematic for the MiSTer I/O board, and saw that the green video signal goes through the resistor array, and then heads down to a slider switch, where the user can switch between standard video, or sync-on-green video. If the switch is not installed on the I/O board, no green signal is passed along to the video output. The switch handles passing the green video in each of those two video styles, but it must be present or else no green signal of any kind gets sent through.

Sure enough, I looked at my MiSTer I/O board, and the switch was never installed. I never thought to order one when it didn't come already present on the board - I just figured it was optional, since I wouldn't be using sync-on-green. IT IS NOT OPTIONAL - YOU NEED SOMETHING IN PLACE HERE to make an signal connection. I quickly soldered in a jumper made from a wire between the two holes on the board enabling the standard-style video's path for the green signal. On my VGA monitor, the pink or purple tint was gone, and the analog video output now looks perfect!

I will be ordering a proper switch soon so that I can finish the board, but for now, this has solved the problem on my I/O board.

If you are experiencing a pink or purple tint on your I/O board's analog ("VGA") video output, I would encourage you to look at the schematics for your I/O board, follow the green signal's path while looking at your actual I/O board, and confirm that the sync-on-green DPDT slider switch (listed as SW4 on MiSTer I/O board v5.2) is installed and is working properly.

Hopefully this helps someone else who runs into the pink or magenta tint on their analog video and can't figure out where to start!
Nat

Re: Cause found (and solution!) for Pink / Magenta / Purple tinted video on MiSTer I/O Board analog VGA output connector

Unread post by Nat »

Basically a good rule of thumb when building MiSTer boards is unless it is marked on the circuit diagram as DNI (Do Not Install) all components should be installed unless you are certain of the ramifications of leaving certain components uninstalled when building addon boards.
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
Sigismond0

Re: Cause found (and solution!) for Pink / Magenta / Purple tinted video on MiSTer I/O Board analog VGA output connector

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Good stuff, though I'll throw a small wrench into this and say that my board came with a SOG switch installed (and it works correctly as I'm using RGsB to my PVM), but I still get pink VGA ouput no matter what I do. Not a big deal for me since I'm not using VGA natively, but others might have the same issue.
trackball

Sigismond0 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:05 pm Good stuff, though I'll throw a small wrench into this and say that my board came with a SOG switch installed (and it works correctly as I'm using RGsB to my PVM), but I still get pink VGA ouput no matter what I do. Not a big deal for me since I'm not using VGA natively, but others might have the same issue.
Think back about what you're describing here -- we know you have a green signal at the switch, because when the switch is in SOG mode, it passes green along fine to your PVM (and adds sync to it). However, when the switch is in "VGA" mode, you get the pink tint on the VGA image. It sounds like the green signal isn't being passed through the switch when it is positioned in VGA mode (eg. the VGA side of the DPDT switch isn't working properly). I would replace the switch! You could remove the switch and put a jumper in the appropriate holes for the switch for VGA mode on the board like I did and prove it that way before ordering anything. Even if I wasn't using it, I'd rather not have half working stuff if I didn't have to.
trackball

Nat wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:37 am Basically a good rule of thumb when building MiSTer boards is unless it is marked on the circuit diagram as DNI (Do Not Install) all components should be installed unless you are certain of the ramifications of leaving certain components uninstalled when building addon boards.
I hear you - I wish I wasn't working backwards from a half-finished board to begin with.
pokevania

Re: Cause found & solution for Pink / Magenta / Purple tinted video on MiSTer I/O Board analog VGA output

Unread post by pokevania »

I ran into this issue after a clean format. To fix the pink/ purple hue, the ypbpR option must be enabled in /media/fat/MiSTer.ini. It's off by default.