tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On now with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

dave18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:16 pmWorse part is explaining to my wife why I'm buying a new cable when I have a box full of them already taking up room in the house!
A thing of "better arguments". Maybe some warm words about a possible meltdown, burning house or womhole may help :)

Happy to swap code/esp with anyone who wants to test stuff (am in UK). Case arrived today so am distracted measuring and 3d printing, will hopefully have something to show after the weekend.
I think you're using Windows as you'd dropped Putty logs some posts ago? In case of using Linux I'd be happy to zip a cleaned up copy of my Arduino subfolder for you.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
venice
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On now with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by venice »

Update

"Contrast Update" for SD & USB Version
You can set now the OLED Contrast Value in the INI File

The Update contains
  • New Contrast INI Option => INI File Update to v1.2
  • Updated tty2oled Script for sending Contrast Value from the MiSTer to ESP
  • Updated SD & USB Arduino Sketches to read and apply the received Contrast Value
  • Updated S60tty2oled Script (Minor Update, not Contrast related but needs the INI File Update v1.2)

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Jukk@M wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 am ...
+ 93 text .xbm images.
Hi Jukk@M,
the Picture "A.ASTROCADE.xbm" shows "GORF".
Is this correct?

Jukk@M

Unread post by Jukk@M »

venice wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:15 am
Jukk@M wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 am ...
+ 93 text .xbm images.
Hi Jukk@M,
Is this correct?
Yes, that's right.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Jukk@M wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:40 am
venice wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:15 am Hi Jukk@M,
Is this correct?
Yes, that's right.
List fully updated.
https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... ation-List

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

RealLarry wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:03 am
dave18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:16 pmHappy to swap code/esp with anyone who wants to test stuff (am in UK). Case arrived today so am distracted measuring and 3d printing, will hopefully have something to show after the weekend.
I think you're using Windows as you'd dropped Putty logs some posts ago? In case of using Linux I'd be happy to zip a cleaned up copy of my Arduino subfolder for you.
I have attached my actually compiled bin file which I have uploaded to my TTGO-T8 just a few minutes before.

//Edit
Attachment deletet

dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

Thanks, although I guess it will be hard to tell if it's working correctly on my 128 pixel display.
dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

dave18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:16 pmHappy to swap code/esp with anyone who wants to test stuff (am in UK). Case arrived today so am distracted measuring and 3d printing, will hopefully have something to show after the weekend.
Hmm, might be an interesting test. I can always compile on a VM and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

dave18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:48 am Thanks, although I guess it will be hard to tell if it's working correctly on my 128 pixel display.
Sorry I forgot.
I can build one for you as well.

Did you already left an link for your source?

dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

venice wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:40 am
dave18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:48 am Thanks, although I guess it will be hard to tell if it's working correctly on my 128 pixel display.
Sorry I forgot.
I can build one for you as well.

Did you already left an link for your source?
I did but here it is to save you looking. https://github.com/dave18/MiSTer_tty2ol ... SD1306_USB

Please note that I added a function to the display library to integer scale the bitmap (included in the git)
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

dave18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:19 am ...
I did but here it is to save you looking. https://github.com/dave18/MiSTer_tty2ol ... SD1306_USB

Please note that I added a function to the display library to integer scale the bitmap (included in the git)
Here we are.
The SD Version didn't compile at my end but I have Compiler Warnings set to all and this causes sometimes more strict compiler errors

Code: Select all

the address of 'filename' will always evaluate as 'true' [-Werror=address]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

dave18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 am
Hmm, might be an interesting test. I can always compile on a VM and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.
Here you are: LINK DELETED This is my stripped down playground for my/our tty2xxx things. The archive includes a hidden subdirectory containing a cache and other things; I don't know if it's neccessary for your setup and tests so I nevertheless included it.
dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

Thanks, I'll give it a try
dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

Case is finished and the display looks small but perfectly formed.
IMG_20210507_134826.jpg
IMG_20210507_150207.jpg

IMG_20210507_134837.jpg
IMG_20210507_150143.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

RealLarry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 am

Here you are: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing This is my stripped down playground for my/our tty2xxx things. The archive includes a hidden subdirectory containing a cache and other things; I don't know if it's neccessary for your setup and tests so I nevertheless included it.
So, I used your archive with my Ubuntu 64 VM (under VMware). I went back to the original USB source file from Venice's github and re-added my display changes, so this now uses the Strings library again which kept crashing my ESP under Windows. Compiled and uploaded to the board straight from the VM (the upload process worked flawlessly from the VM!), and Voila! Everything works fine at 115,200. Definitely some buggy libraries floating around in the Windows version. Thanks for both your help on this.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

dave18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm …and Voila! Everything works fine at 115,200. Definitely some buggy libraries floating around in the Windows version. Thanks for both your help on this.
Really strange behavior :roll:
And cool that it works now :)

Maybe a mix of old and new libraries.
If you like to try, add an new Windows User and install
all boards and libraries under this user from scratch and try again with an new working/project folder.

Btw, can I use one of your case pictures for the gallery?

dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

venice wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:20 pm Btw, can I use one of your case pictures for the gallery?
Of course
gojira54

Unread post by gojira54 »

I was waiting for PCBs to turn up before trying this - got some spares if anyone wants at cost (I'm in the UK)

It isn't working for me though yet - please could I get some advise?
The OLED shows 'MISTER FPGA' on startup but then doesn't show the mister logo or any core image when cores are selected, if I change in the ini file USETEXTPICTURE="yes" the core name is shown in writing when the core is started :s

I'm not good at scripting/linux etc but tried to follow the instructions, this is what I have done;
set OLED jumpers for 4SPI
written the USB version sketch & installed U8g2 Library
run the install command and then altered the ini file

I have a populated tty2oledpics folder in \\mister\fat and NO msd card in the TTGO-T8.

What am I doing wrong please?

lVRodyB.jpeg
dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

Have you also set USBMODE="yes" in the ini file?

If so, worth double checking that you only have one ttyUSB device listed under /devs. The ini assumes that the TTGO will be on ttyUSB0 but this can be changed in the ini file.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

gojira54 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:58 pm
It isn't working for me though yet - please could I get some advise?
The OLED shows 'MISTER FPGA' on startup but then doesn't show the mister logo or any core image when cores are selected, if I change in the ini file USETEXTPICTURE="yes" the core name is shown in writing when the core is started :s

I'm not good at scripting/linux etc but tried to follow the instructions, this is what I have done;
set OLED jumpers for 4SPI
written the USB version sketch & installed U8g2 Library
run the install command and then altered the ini file
The Startscreen should show an USB Logo in the top right corner if you use the USB Arduino Sketch.
I don‘t see this on your screenshot.
USB_32x16png.png

Did you set the INI Option „USBMODE“ to „yes“?

Generally, all sketch versions should show the corename as text if no matching picture is available.
5A7FBB3C-CDB9-42A7-8016-507ABCC62CDC.jpeg

„USETEXTPICTURE“="yes" is only responsible for the download of „pictures with Text“ if you run the updater.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

dave18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:28 pm If so, worth double checking that you only have one ttyUSB device listed under /devs. The ini assumes that the TTGO will be on ttyUSB0 but this can be changed in the ini file.
Good point!

RealLarry
Top Contributor

dave18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm
RealLarry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 am

Here you are: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing This is my stripped down playground for my/our tty2xxx things. The archive includes a hidden subdirectory containing a cache and other things; I don't know if it's neccessary for your setup and tests so I nevertheless included it.
So, I used your archive with my Ubuntu 64 VM (under VMware). I went back to the original USB source file from Venice's github and re-added my display changes, so this now uses the Strings library again which kept crashing my ESP under Windows. Compiled and uploaded to the board straight from the VM (the upload process worked flawlessly from the VM!), and Voila! Everything works fine at 115,200. Definitely some buggy libraries floating around in the Windows version. Thanks for both your help on this.
Oi, glad to hear and congrats to get it running! 25:0 for Linux and me :) But very strange behaviour, providing that Windows, Arduino and it's Libs are up to date. Should not happen, definitely.
gojira54

Thanks for the replies - but I've gone backwards :/
I wrote to the arduino again with the USB version sketch, OLED stays black all the time now.
After removing the mister installation and reinstalling the updater says '/dev/ttyUSB0 detected' so I haven't broken it?
How to test please? I don't understand the instructions> You can easily test your Display by sending text from the Arduino's Serial console.
I don't know what I'm doing with this stuff, this is connected direct to a PC, what software and what commands to type pls?
Apologies for my lack of understanding, any help much appreciated
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Moinsen,
I am still working at the Documentation so it can be something is missed.
gojira54 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 pm Thanks for the replies - but I've gone backwards :/
I wrote to the arduino again with the USB version sketch, OLED stays black all the time now.
I updated the USB Sketch a few days before and have not set the TTGO Board as default Board.
This setting is resonsible for the correct Display connection.
I have changed this now to TTGO as default Board.
Uncomment_Only_One_Board.png

Please download the USB Sketch again and transfer it to the TTGO.
Take a look at https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... o-Settings as I add a few more Information there.

Step by Step

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

gojira54 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 pm How to test please? I don't understand the instructions> You can easily test your Display by sending text from the Arduino's Serial console.
The Arduino IDE has an Terminal/Serial Monitor which you can use for testing.
Just open the Window, check the connecction details and send your test words.

SerialMonitor_Open_small.png
SerialMonitor_1_small.png

gojira54

Thanks very much for the infos =]
I have written to my TTGO again and display shows once correct option is selected in the sketch - thanks I missed that.
When writing the sketch I got in red info about my board, it has a 40mhz crystal & 4mb flash, I have amended the board properties when writing to match
I cannot get any picture to display when using the arduino software serial monitor, I'm starting to think have a dodgy TTGO - when connected to mister I get graphical corruption on oled and random behaviour, never seen any of the pictures load

Mt7xnej.jpeg
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Make some good readable Pictures from the "red" messages, from your Board and from your Arduino Board Settings and post them here.
If possible also pictures from the connection between the ESP and the Display.
My Board has 16MB Flash, you need to change the amount of Flash Memory accordingly to your board.

gojira54

Thanks a lot for the help =]
I've only soldered the pins marked in red, the rest are not used?

ZParbSR.jpg
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

No Problem seen at the "red" text.

Didn't you solder OLED Pin 1 with GND? That's OLED's Main GND Point.
See https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... Electrical

//Edit
Did you change the Flash Memory Frequency?

My TTGO T8 has an 40MHz Crystal as well (just checked) but I never changed the Flash Memory Frequency in Arduino IDE
which is normally set to 80Mhz.
See https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... o-Settings

gojira54

GND wire fixed it :oops:
I made some PC Engine tiles - attached
Again if anyone wants a TTGO-T8/OLED PCB give me PM
Thanks a lot for your time & patience helping me & for creating - this is a great addition to mister!!

NErzWDN.jpg