The MSTR Case

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
akicus

The MSTR Case

Unread post by akicus »

Hi,

Per from AkiCus here (maker of the PS360+).
I just wanted to post about the up and coming case I have been working on.
I have teamed up with DaemonBite for this project as he has validity within this community.
I have personally been using the DE10 Nano for a while now and love it so that is why I decided to try and create something.

We call the case "MSTR" (short for MiSTeR) and the goal with this case is to create a thoroughly engineered and multi-featured case for the MiSTer platform. I could go on about more things but I rather wait a little longer.
Specs will be posted later.

FrontMSTR3.png

More pics here:
https://www.instagram.com/akicusco/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fallon

Re: The MSTR Case

Unread post by Fallon »

Looks interesting, but I can’t see the rest as I don’t Instagram.

Why have a complex hinge instead of something you can screw down? I’ve never opened my my mister case since setting it up. Seems less breakable too.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Fallon wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:42 am Looks interesting, but I can’t see the rest as I don’t Instagram.

Why have a complex hinge instead of something you can screw down? I’ve never opened my my mister case since setting it up. Seems less breakable too.
Here it shows the lid opening
https://akicus.co/HingeTestOpen.mp4

Colors for the lid
https://akicus.co/BoxColorMSTR.mp4

Also:
1. We may come out with a more "simple" version that has no moving lid as well, it is up to what people want really.
2. I am a big fan of engineering. Easy access is never wrong and with all the stuff you will be able to have inside the box it makes a lot more sense.

We will have a smaller version of this case as well that will be more for the "main stream" but more on that later.
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

It also looks much like a game console, which is something other mister cases have never really achieved so far.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Fallon wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:27 pm It also looks much like a game console, which is something other mister cases have never really achieved so far.
That was part of the idea as well, to make it more user friendly and usable for regular people who are new to all of this (not that other cases are not that but I think you understand). The design is based on the CPSII from Capcom.

To have all the controller ports on the front of the case (USB,SNAC and "something extra") and a headset jack with volume slider so if you wish to use headphones you will be able to (we will use our own pcb for this that will work great with the MiSTer with "pop" correction et.c).

Same on the back of the case, all ports are there in one row. SD-card is on the side for easy access.

CPSII.
real-authentic-progear-capcom-cps2_1_9824fb2a19fdec3041a3c193797d64a9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slipard

Unread post by Slipard »

Seems an interesting "hommage" to CPS2 case, I would even like a red lid option (didn't see it on the second video).

What add-ons will it be compatible with?
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Slipard wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:32 pm Seems an interesting "hommage" to CPS2 case, I would even like a red lid option (didn't see it on the second video).

What add-ons will it be compatible with?
Colors can be added if customers want it I guess, the colors in the video is mostly because of what the most regular CPSII used.

What add-ons did you have in mind? I ask because I don't want to post all the specs just yet.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Feedback from me at least. I agree with nixing the hinge. Those hinged components over long time can wear down, it's just an unnecessary increase to cost of manufacturing and more measuring points in QC at the manufacturing parts. It's more things that can be bent and broken. I agree that ease of access, the ability to work on the inside, and potentially room for modifications by enthusiasts is a major priority with something like the MiSTer. I like the overall look of the design though, reminds me of the Argon One Pi 4 case

71hgqmQezrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

which is one of my favorite cases for the Pi platform in general. Access to the I/O board buttons, the SOG switch, etc... should be prioritized and not sure if this looks like they have been.
birdybro~
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

aberu wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:33 pm Feedback from me at least. I agree with nixing the hinge. Those hinged components over long time can wear down, it's just an unnecessary increase to cost of manufacturing and more measuring points in QC at the manufacturing parts. It's more things that can be bent and broken. I agree that ease of access, the ability to work on the inside, and potentially room for modifications by enthusiasts is a major priority with something like the MiSTer. I like the overall look of the design though, reminds me of the Argon One Pi 4 case which is one of my favorite cases for the Pi platform in general. Access to the I/O board buttons, the SOG switch, etc... should be prioritized and not sure if this looks like they have been.
Thank you for the input. I fully understand your thoughts on the hinges, I can however promise that it will be made out of metal thick enough to handle a beating. The hinges actually have another feature but more on that later.

Buttons are on the lid, left side (one button is spaced out for a reason, more on this later). On the right side of the lid are LEDs, big red one and three small ones (one extra that I will write more about later, it has something to do with the "cartridge system" on the front of the case).

SoG is at the back at a easy to reach place.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

To clarify, the front buttons are not ATTACHED on the lid (they are fastened on the "base").
When the lid slides down the buttons will pierce through the holes on the lid so it protrudes a bit, meaning no wires or anything on the lid.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Whats the large rectangular section is for?
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

darksakul wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:08 am Whats the large rectangular section is for?
We will reveal this information soon when we post all the specs.
Slipard

Unread post by Slipard »

akicus wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:14 pm What add-ons did you have in mind? I ask because I don't want to post all the specs just yet.
As a potential customer feedback, my use of MiSTer is:
- computers: being able to emulate computers on my desk;
- arcade: being able to play in a cab (JVS, mostly, but JAMMA option is still cool although I see it more as an external add-on);
- consoles: being able to connect to TV and use lagless sticks (so USB is an option, but having a DB15 connector is a must have IMO).

I would mostly use the case for arcade and consoles, the standard case being perfect as it is for computers, so at least two cases for me (maybe more when I get more cabs).

So 128 Mb of RAM, four DB15 ports for playing TMNT games, four USB ports for computers (keyboard, mouse, extensions) comes to my mind.

In an ideal world, you would collaborate with the author of this thread and make the case compatible with its mini-ITX MiSTer and compete with Analogue in order for MiSTer to get momentum.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Slipard wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:59 am
akicus wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:14 pm What add-ons did you have in mind? I ask because I don't want to post all the specs just yet.
As a potential customer feedback, my use of MiSTer is:
- computers: being able to emulate computers on my desk;
- arcade: being able to play in a cab (JVS, mostly, but JAMMA option is still cool although I see it more as an external add-on);
- consoles: being able to connect to TV and use lagless sticks (so USB is an option, but having a DB15 connector is a must have IMO).

I would mostly use the case for arcade and consoles, the standard case being perfect as it is for computers, so at least two cases for me (maybe more when I get more cabs).

So 128 Mb of RAM, four DB15 ports for playing TMNT games, four USB ports for computers (keyboard, mouse, extensions) comes to my mind.

In an ideal world, you would collaborate with the author of this thread and make the case compatible with its mini-ITX MiSTer and compete with Analogue in order for MiSTer to get momentum.
Thanks for all the feedback.
* Emulating computers should be no problem as we should have all the I/O's that a fully equipped MiSTer setup has. More on that later.
* JAMMA can be done as a external thing, JVS I can look at again, I did so before but spent more time on the case and it's functions. You play on NAOMI?
* Regarding controller lag, this is where my buddy DaemonBite will come in, his boards are known in the community to have low lag, this is why I teamed up with him.

We are working on a smaller version of the MSTR case as well, that might be better in a cab (that was part of my idea as well to have something more portable and "main stream").

Regarding the DB15 ports, that is actually where that rectangular box on the right of the case comes in. Basically (I can say this at least) it is something we call a "Player Cartridge System (PCS)", more on that later as well.

Regarding the custom made DE10 Nano, this was actually my FIRST wish to be done before I started developing the case and working with DaemonBite. It would be more expensive in the end but it would draw some attention for sure. Btw, the case I am working on will be made in a similar way to Analogue as it will be CNC'd out of one piece of Aluminium, that was my idea from the start as well, I want this product to stand out and feel premium, otherwise I could of made something more simple.
Maybe I will contact him though, just to see what he says.

Btw, here is a drawing of how the LEDs would look and the buttons.

FrontBnLED.png
Slipard

Unread post by Slipard »

Four players PCS and I am sold.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Slipard wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:30 pm Four players PCS and I am sold.
Duly noted.
Slipard

Unread post by Slipard »

akicus wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:13 pm
Slipard wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:30 pm Four players PCS and I am sold.
Duly noted.
Quite appreciated. :D

Now, to persuade Jotego to first finish Street Fighter and then to do Konami four players games before CPS2. :twisted:
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Slipard wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:38 pm Now, to persuade Jotego to first finish Street Fighter and then to do Konami four players games before CPS2. :twisted:
Six-player even? :D
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

If someone good could play for me that would be even better :mrgreen:
royaltaste

Unread post by royaltaste »

Nice case, but I’d love to see some of the USB ports on the back for e.g a midi-interface.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

royaltaste wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:50 pm Nice case, but I’d love to see some of the USB ports on the back for e.g a midi-interface.
Thanks for your input.
That could be possible with a little change of the design inside so the option would be there if the user wants to use it.
Two is enough or more is needed?
Reed_Solomon

Unread post by Reed_Solomon »

akicus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:05 pm Two is enough or more is needed?
I'd go with 4. Wifi dongle, keyboard, mouse, midi, external HDD, Bluetooth dongle, lots of potential USB.

4 in front 4 in back. Enough to make everyone happy.

Is there any decorative LED lighting incorporated into the design? Might look cool to have a plastic strip. Have it change colour depending on the core or randomly who knows.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Reed_Solomon wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:59 am
akicus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:05 pm Two is enough or more is needed?
I'd go with 4. Wifi dongle, keyboard, mouse, midi, external HDD, Bluetooth dongle, lots of potential USB.

4 in front 4 in back. Enough to make everyone happy.

Is there any decorative LED lighting incorporated into the design? Might look cool to have a plastic strip. Have it change colour depending on the core or randomly who knows.
Thanks for the info, I will see how much I fit in the back without making the case bigger. There are usb ports inside the case btw, for internal HDD et.c.

No plans on using extra LED lighting yet, I can look into it though. The plan was to make the case minimalistic but I guess people could turn the LEDs off if they wanted to. If I would incorporate such a thing it would be more simple looking I think, not an "RGB Disco".
I'll look into it.
royaltaste

Unread post by royaltaste »

Thank you for the quick response. I'm not sure, but four ports should be fine. Regarding the distance between the ports (front/back), keep in mind that people will use different kinds of dongles e.g. the 8bitdo receiver. Those will need quite some space.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

royaltaste wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:56 pm Thank you for the quick response. I'm not sure, but four ports should be fine. Regarding the distance between the ports (front/back), keep in mind that people will use different kinds of dongles e.g. the 8bitdo receiver. Those will need quite some space.
Ok.
Yeah, I have some 8bitdo controllers so it's been measured and made to fit.
Dubon

Unread post by Dubon »

Hmm, could it be that its designed to fit an lcd screen in the lid? Maybe an ipad3 lcd?
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Dubon wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:25 pm Hmm, could it be that its designed to fit an lcd screen in the lid? Maybe an ipad3 lcd?
You mean on the inside of the lid? Maybe this could be possible. The LCD screen has a flat ribbon cable so maybe we could have a small adapter board inside the MSTR that connects the LCD screen and has a output on the back of the MSTR with a flat flexible cable connector that is made for easy plug n play (not the normal type of flat cable connector). Then you connect your HDMI adapter board directly to the back of the MSTR using a flat cable, would look less messy this way. Not sure if it would be possible to mount the HDMI adapter board inside as I don't have the dimensions of the most popular one but maybe it can be done with providing a standard four mounting holes inside the MSTR and if it does not fit your specific HDMI adapter board you could make it work using some sort of plastic 3D piece.

Personally I would like to be able to rotate the screen as well but that could be a problem in this current design, I would have to use a longer flat cable inside the MSTR as well, that could create other problems (connectivity issues et.c).
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

I know not all use Instagram so I'll post this here as well.
This was a older concept we had which took up way to much space so we did not continue using it. It had a self-opening solution in the middle. The finalized product will most likely have two "auto-open" mechanics attached on each hinge on the side making it more compact and better design wise. Just wanted to show this, nothing more.
https://akicus.co/OlderConcept.mp4

Like I wrote before we may use a "no hinge" solution as well as a cheaper option, we will see.
hernan43

Unread post by hernan43 »

I agree. I would love to have a case where the power/ethernet/whatever is on the backside and a few ports up front for controllers. Tis appears to tick that particular box for me.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Bits n Stuff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:08 pm I do like the idea of this and I am a fan of Mike of DaemonBite so this could end up being something for me. I have been waiting for a "consolised" set up for MiSTer and DaemonBite is going to be my controler adapter of choice so this ould really end up being for me.
I know it's early at the moment and these things do take time to get right before they reach production so I do hope that people realise that it could take a bit of time.
I do really like the ideo of the controller cartridge thing, if that's what it ends up being. The hinge isn't something I'm bothered about myself and I think I'd prefer just being able to lift the top off after unscrewing.
Will it be plastic or metal?
That is great that you like his products, this is (again) why I teamed up with him because he has validity within the MiSTer community, and we both speak Swedish.
Thanks for the input on the hinge as well, maybe it would be better to release a version without the hinge first to save some time and hopefully make the thing a little bit cheaper (or release one version but sell a "hinge-set" as separate for people who want to use it, that is also possible).
We will be doing some prototypes next month most likely and see how it looks and feels, it is one things to draw it in 3D and another to hold it in your hands.
Regarding materials, I have asked for both Aluminium and PC (Polycarbonate). The Alu will be bead blasted with anodizing to make a good surface that fits in somewhat with regular stuff in the living room, the PC will be sanded down with fine sand paper, vapor polishing (if needed) and color tinted if needed.
They will (most likely) be done in a HAAS 5Axis CNC machine (made out of one piece of material) with good tolerances so we won't go with something cheap for this project.
Also, more about the controller cartridge later.