The MSTR Case

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
akicus

Re: The MSTR Case

Unread post by akicus »

Me and DaemonBite are still working on the MSTR case so don't let the lack of updates fool you ;).
We have updated a few things so we will post about it soon.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Sorry for the lack of updates, more updates will be coming this month. We are trying to include every possible thing + be future upgradable if needed (if new io board comes out or whatever.
Stay tuned...
Bennehana

Unread post by Bennehana »

I was just about to ask how's goin with this case i will buy one for sure.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Small update. This is just an early render of the pcb design of the MSTR (just so you get the overall idea of what it will look like).
More to come soon.

MSTRPCB1.JPG
MSTRPCB3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Here are also some more pics.

More detailed pic of the add-on pcb. One USB-jack will face inwards for adding WiFi or Bluetooth addon (it sits inside so no one takes it during tournaments or if you are at a gathering or whatever).

AddOn.png

Example of how the cassette pcb will look, more detail on this soon. 4 x DB15 will be possible.

CassettePCB.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

akicus wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:39 pm More detailed pic of the add-on pcb. One USB-jack will face inwards for adding WiFi or Bluetooth addon (it sits inside so no one takes it during tournaments or if you are at a gathering or whatever).
Nice. I like the idea of the inward facing USB.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

7AujP3A.gif
Bennehana

Unread post by Bennehana »

So how is the progress going with this?
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Bits n Stuff wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:04 am I think that after the recent Nt mini Noir that a gunmetal grey is the only way to go with this beauty now. :D

Not my photo, it's from the My Life in Gaming video.
Regarding the colors it all depends on what the customers want I guess, gunmetal should be no problem however.

Bennehana wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:46 pm So how is the progress going with this?
It is going forward, right now there are some holidays so update will come after that.
derFunkenstein

Unread post by derFunkenstein »

I'm very, very excited for this. I'd much rather have something a little bigger with ports on front/back than have the tiniest case ever with ports on all sides. Even in the MiSTer Addons PCB case (which is very nice for what it is) the thing looks hokey as all get-out. I just found out about this today and will follow with great interest.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Posted two news pics on Instagram. Will upload both pics here later as well for those who don't use that media.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKL5WXrLD7Z ... cotvinfkkd

Any questions please let me know.
derFunkenstein wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 am I'm very, very excited for this. I'd much rather have something a little bigger with ports on front/back than have the tiniest case ever with ports on all sides. Even in the MiSTer Addons PCB case (which is very nice for what it is) the thing looks hokey as all get-out. I just found out about this today and will follow with great interest.
That was my personal reason as well for even starting this project. Something that is solid, looks good next to other things in the home and is easy to use. Hopefully the end product will live up to this.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Here is the picture.

MSTRPCBJan18.jpg

More updates soon.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Bits n Stuff wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:49 am Really can't wait for this to be ready!!
Seriously, due to how impressed I am with Mike's work on cases for audio equipment and how much I'm liking the look of DaemonBite I'd seriously be happy to pre-order and pay now even though I know it may not be out until the end of the year. Honestly, it's the only reason I've not bought any DaemonBite hardware yet, with this on the way it makes more sense to just wait for this. :D
Thanks for the kind words.
We can't accept any payments yet, sorry.
It is important for us to first know that we will have a product that will work as promised and have the high quality that we strive for.
Regarding time frame I don't think it will take the whole year as we come a long way already.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Damn it!

giphyz.gif
giphydf.gif
giphyvb.gif

:twisted:
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a new Mister Case. Looking forward!

Been wanting a bigger wider case for a while instead of the super small yet clunky standard ones.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

Also , the reason I swapped my analog io with the digital io is because of the power switch.

Is there a power switch on this?
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Milspex wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:34 pm Also , the reason I swapped my analog io with the digital io is because of the power switch.

There will be a power switch on the back, yes.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

akicus wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:46 pm
Milspex wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:34 pm Also , the reason I swapped my analog io with the digital io is because of the power switch.

There will be a power switch on the back, yes.
Thanks, perfect!
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Updated the instagram account with a new picture for those who want to see. More pictures will be uploaded here shortly...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKZZWWjrwam ... sphxrd8aqx
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

can't wait to see full build pics.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

MSTRPCBAssembly.png

More soon.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

full sd card size slot ftw too...
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Milspex wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:02 pm full sd card size slot ftw too...
Yes, we thought it would be easier for the end user to handle. If you use microSD you can just use a adaper card for it.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

yes its great. MicroSD is too finicky as it is ..
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

MSTRPCBAssembly2.png

Different angle.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

So if I understand correctly, the player cartridges are different modules you can insert, like a module with snes controller ports, or one with 4 db15s, or genesis ports and such?
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Milspex wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:46 pm So if I understand correctly, the player cartridges are different modules you can insert, like a module with snes controller ports, or one with 4 db15s, or genesis ports and such?
Correct.
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Bits n Stuff wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:51 pm What time of power connector does this use?
I can see some sort of barrel connector on the back of the PCB, is it the same setup as the DE10-Nano? I currently use a splitter on mine to also power the USB board, I'd assume due to this being a customised setup that it will only need a single input with everything else being taken care of by whatever custom power management is happening inside?
Not that I've minded using a splitter but obviously being able to just plug in a single power lead and flick the power switch is an improvement in my mind.
There is a JST connector in the picture below that will allow us to route a cable inside the case and UNDER the pcbs so it won't look too bad. How it all connects will be presented with more pictures of the real hardware (pcbs) that should show up next month so please wait for that.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

looking good
akicus

Unread post by akicus »

Bits n Stuff wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:25 pm Thanks @akicus.
It'll be interesting to see actual PCB hardware. If I'm being honest, whatever happens on the inside of the box is something that I'm just happy to think of as magic and leave to you. :)
My question was more from me as a user and just wondering if I'd be able to use the same power adapter that I'm currently using on MiSTer. Not that it really matters either way, I wa just wondering.
You can use the same power supply, yes. If you want to use all USB ports at the same time you may need to use a little beefier power supply (we have many ports in total on the MSTR).