Arcade1Up Cocktail/Head to Head Cabinet

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
bungerc

Arcade1Up Cocktail/Head to Head Cabinet

Unread post by bungerc »

Definitely new to the MISTer scene and appreciate the forum, so thanks for hosting! My wife and I are in the middle of a house build and are going to have a rec room with a projector and an arcade1up cabinet or two, but in the meantime I purchased an Arcade1up cocktail cabinet like the one here: https://arcade1up.com/collections/head- ... eetfighter

I really like the idea of head to head gaming so two folks aren't as cramped while playing, as the arcade1up cabs are a little too small for my liking otherwise. Anyway, I don't care so much about the included games, but rather like the cabinet and sanway joystick layout, and was wondering what, if any, options I have for gutting and using with a MISTer. I've looked through the forums and don't think I've seen any video options that would have mirrored video images, so I'm assuming that is not going to work, but wanted to check. Assuming it does not, does anyone have any creative ideas on how to make this work? I don't know if there would be room to insert two small monitors in the cab, but if so do you think a 1x2 HDMI splitter would work so both players had their own?

If I need to sell the cabinet I can, but thought it would be a cool use of the MISTer for the arcade cores. Thanks!
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Arcade1Up Cocktail/Head to Head Cabinet

Unread post by Newsdee »

There are Pandora's Box style barcades that have two screens for Vs play. They use a VGA or HDMI splitter for video, for example:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSjfQIc

If you want something bigger just have two HDMI displays with a splitter. They work fine in my experience.

I like cocktail tables, but I don't think it's a good format for 2 player fighting games. Games on cocktails usually had a screen that switched around and players would take turns.
But what you could do is mount a 2-player arcade stick on a podium on the side of the cocktail table. So basically you can use it as a single monitor without much added conplexity.
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: Arcade1Up Cocktail/Head to Head Cabinet

Unread post by thorr »

I saw the new Ms Pacman cocktail cabinet and am seriously thinking about getting it. The cool thing is I could play it in either orientation like Newsdee mentioned. I already built a two-player joystick panel that I could easily add legs to or set on top of a piano bench for the horizontal games sitting on the long side of the table.

Does anyone know what the latency/lag is on the built-in Arcade1up monitor when paired with the HDMI control board that is needed? I am also thinking I might be able to fit my Panasonic CRT in there since it has a deep cabinet. I would have to measure everything to see if it would fit. That would eliminate the lag and provide a larger screen. It may not be worth it though if the existing screen works well. It's 1280x960 4:3.