MiSTer in Pi Top Case 2020

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
sid

MiSTer in Pi Top Case 2020

Unread post by sid »

1.jpg
I finally finished my Mister Setup in the Pi Top Case. I don’t know how much has built the Pi Top Case but for those who thinking about it in these days, it isn’t as much difficult to finish it. The Pi Top Case which is not cheap (but feels a quite cheap in my hands) but it is still available at RS Online in 2020. I can recommend the effort is definitely worth it.

I ve built close the minimal setup that means no mainboard with the secondary sd card (over the mister board) and the additionally SD RAM because i don’t need it for the cores that i use. The RTC Board that is not really necessary, but it is better for solder the contacts for the SPI and I2C Bus to handle the brightness, volume control and battery status. For the USB Hub i used a modified own from speedlink.

Thanks to the description on Git Hub with all schematics from Sorg and also in the old forum i didn’t have big problems to step by step to finish the setup. As you can see i did ordered the german version of the Pi Top Case.
2.jpg
SD RAM
The main problem was the 128 MB SDRAM which does not fit into the Pi Top Case. The horizontal version is not available from Antonio Villena anymore (so far i know). So i decided to remove the original header from the SD RAM and use a new header but to bend the pins to an angle of 45 degree and solder the pins then directly on the surface of the board. And yes it works very well. The memory test runs well but to insert the SD RAM the Ardurino Header in the north was in the way so i decided to remove it.
3.jpg
Audio Board
The audio board is most essential because it handles all the connections over the small pins between the Pi Top Hub and the Mister. I ordered the unpopulated audio boards by pcway and need 2 weeks for shipping. You get at a minimum 5 boards, but they are not very expensive. The components (resistors and capacitors) i got through by my local electronic shop (but to be honest it whould be great to have a part list on git hub :)
I did popular twice the Audio Board because i failed in soldiering the Ampifier IC on the Audio Board. Finally, i soldered the Adafruit amplifiers directly to the audio board. By the way a small question: Why is the I2S Bus also connected to the Pi Hub?
Ok i installed the small Adafruit boards but the problem was then the HDMI connector and DC Input were in the way. Therefore, i inserted some crews below the DE10 to get more space.
4.jpg
5.jpg

Cables
Two cables are necessary: One to the GIPO header for the I2S Bus for Sound and one to the RTC Board (or directly to the north east ("LTC") Header of the DE 10 Nano for the SPI/I2C Bus for handling the battery, volume and brightness control. All connections are well documented in the schematics.
6.jpg
USB Hub
I did use one of the 5 ordered audio boards as a baseplate for the mini usb hub from speedlink with no extra power supply. Sometimes the usb hub does not come up during boot but my plans is to connect the power to the audio board to fix this issue. In the most cases the usb hub does work very well with connected wlan stick, bluetooth stick and connected internal keyboard.
But the USB does not fit without changes. So break up the case in the on the other side and connect an micro usb connector directly to the internal cables

Cooling
Currently i have no active cooling but the mister works without any problems in the Pi Top case. I think the Mister board should be cooled but that the Mister does not need more than 700mA that means at maximum of 4 Watts has to dismissed via the heat sink. This is a not a very critical aspect for me in the moment.

Speaker
I ordered two 8 Ohms (3W) Speaker that sound quite good but the Case does lay over the speaker. Currently i am thinking about to make some holes in the lid to improve the sound.

Conclusion:
The only annoying issue at the moment is i have to open the lid sometimes because the screen does lose its synchronization for some reason (reconnect of the HDMI connector does fix this issue). Currently i thinking about to insert a HDMI switch in the case to handle this better and also for a easy connection to a bigger desktop screen.
The battery time is approximately 2-3 hours. It would be great to have a battery alert when the battery becomes low (e.g. 5% remaining) because it happens sometimes that the screen is getting dark suddenly. Unfortunately this it is not implemented yet.
The main emphasis of the laptop is not optimal the battery does not have the same weight for the screen. That results in seesawing a little bit :) The screen is bright and clear. Scrolling is perfect smooth. The brightness adjustment works very well with the SPDT Switch (small IC on the backside).
That’s it! I love this a amazing laptop. I recommended this absolutely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WolfgangBlack

Re: MiSTer in Pi Top Case 2020

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

Nice job!
NegSol

Unread post by NegSol »

Congrats on the build! MiSTer to go!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Nice, I like the flatter, longer hardware layout over the short tall stack.
belgarcat

Unread post by belgarcat »

Nice!
Maybe the HDMI losing sync is a thermal issue?
It happened to me when I didn’t have a fan, once installed all hdmi sync drops went away.
sid

Unread post by sid »

ty@all. i want to investigate the synchronize problem with an active fan in the next time. Also in preparation is an 3.5 jack headphone amplifier board from adafruit i want to integrate. I will give feedback soon
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

This is extremely cool. Just so you know, if you're ever feeling like making more of those and selling them, I'd be among the first in line to buy one :)
tronarea

Unread post by tronarea »

Hello everybody,

urgently need help!
I have a PITOP V2 and all Mister FPGA parts and am in the process of integrating them.

The problem I cannot get a picture on the Pitop v2 with the Mister FPGA.

It works with a Raspberry Zero and Raspberry 3.

But unfortunately not with the mister.

I tested all settings in Mister.ini.

Everything works on my 4K TV and the Mister.

Only the combination PitopV2 and Mister not.

I am so desperate.

I have already invested a lot of money and cannot get any further here.

The resolution Rasberry and Pitop v2 is Full HD 1920x 1080 and works.

Unfortunately none of the resolutions of the Mister FPGA and PITOP V2.

Please help me
tronarea

update: here the data from raspian about the display in pitop v2

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA && /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m DMT && /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -s

Group CEA has 2 modes:
mode 4: 1280x720 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive
(prefer) mode 16: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:148MHz progressive

Group DMT has 1 modes:
mode 4: 640x480 @ 60Hz 4:3, clock:25MHz progressive

state 0xa [HDMI CEA (16) RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

hope anyone can help
sid

Unread post by sid »

Have you also tried standard 1920x1080p 60hz? Unfortunately i habe only the pitop v1 here. But what i can say it only accepts the native resolution 1080p and no other. Maybe this is also valid for the v2?
tronarea

thank you for your replay really! yes I use also the Standart resolution but not working I don't know why other device with this resolution works fine on pitop. and yes only with this 1920x1080 60 hz works on other device but the mister with this resolution bring no picture... I use mutch settings in mister. ini not working on mister and pitop...also Mode 8 and 9 Standart

My last stand
mister.ini
[MiSTer]
;VIDEO MODE
; custom mode: hact,hfp,hs,hbp,vact,vfp,vs,vbp,Fpix_in_KHz
video_mode=1920,88,44,148,1080,4,5,36,148500
custom_aspect_ratio_1=16:9
;video_mode = 8
;VIDEO SETTINGS
menu_pal = 0
dvi_mode = 0
fb_terminal = 1
fb_size = 1
video_info = 0
hdmi_limited = 1
vsync_adjust = 0
;VGA SETTINGS
forced_scandoubler = 0
ypbpr = 0
composite_sync = 0
vga_scaler = 0
direct_video = 0
;VIDEO SCALING
vscale_mode = 1
vscale_border = 0
;AUDIO SETTINGS
hdmi_audio_96k = 0
volumectl = 0
;MISC SETTINGS
key_menu_as_rgui = 0
rbf_hide_datecode = 0
;bootscreen = 0
recents = 1
gamepad_defaults = 1
keyrah_mode = 0x18d80002
reset_combo = 0
osd_timeout = 30
bootcore_timeout = 10
sid

Unread post by sid »

tronarea wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:04 pm thank you for your replay really! yes I use also the Standart resolution but not working I don't know why other device with this resolution works fine on pitop. and yes only with this 1920x1080 60 hz works on other device but the mister with this resolution bring no picture... I use mutch settings in mister. ini not working on mister and pitop...also Mode 8 and 9 Standart

My last stand
mister.ini
(...)
I would try not to define a specific pixeltime table just use video_mode=8 mybe without custom_aspect_ratio_1. For help you can use my mister ini which is based on the current template: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini from git.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tronarea

Hello again, thank you first for your time "SID" !

I use your config, but not working.

I have try much things ...today i remove pin 13 from a hdmi cable thats the only difference from hdmi of The nano de10 (mister fpga) have pin 13 to ground too other devices example raspberry. but no luck.

I have try much settings all settings from mister default and much more custom settings. nothing work.

My last idea is i2c bus on raspberry and clone the signals for pitop hub one this way
https://blog.danman.eu/emulating-hdmi-connection/

to inject i2c signals and mister signals one the same hdmi in on pitob hub to bring up the display and hope i can see then the mister hdmi out on the pitop screen but this is realy my last idea all other things i think i have try....

where ever have an idear that i can try please tell me!
and again thanks for your help "SID"
tronarea

my settings is only hdmi cable from mister to pitop and boarddetect to ground so i can power up the pitop hub without cooling bridge:
received_2808528869416490.jpeg
received_840445816742673.jpeg
received_756053025013997.jpeg
received_275887937269271.jpeg
received_237690901394347.jpeg
IMG_20210122_212411.jpg
tronarea

here more details about the hub and cooling bridge
sid

Unread post by sid »

tronarea wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:15 pm here more details about the hub and cooling bridge
(...)
I've sent you a pm
sid

Unread post by sid »

Some small update about my Mister Pi Top Setup. I’ve redesigned the USB Board on the right side which does match much better than my temporary solution. The right USB Port is now a stacked port. Used IC is the GL850G in minimal configuration.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
In Real:
4.jpg
On the left side i've integrated an headphone jack. Selectable via the switch in the middle of the picture
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
sid

Unread post by sid »

Please find here the gerber files of the USB Hub
gerber.zip
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

I know this is an old thread, but on a similar note, I wonder how feasible it would be to try and fit a MiSTer inside a Framework laptop?