My 3D printed MiSTer retro case is ready to be shared.

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
leejsmith

Re: My 3D printed MiSTer retro case is ready to be shared.

Unread post by leejsmith »

Caldor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:13 pm
leejsmith wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 am
Caldor wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 am
Yeah, it seems these parts require the printer to be 20x20cm. Mine is 30x30 or a bit more I guess. I think its 35 in one of the axis. I guess you could probably split it up into even smaller parts, but that would probably be tedious and the result might not be worth it anyway.

I have almost finished the third part. The part for the MiSTer itself, so then I just need the two top parts and the USB part. The USB part I will need to modify though. Also this third part I am a bit unsure about. It has a lot of plastic strings going around the model, I hope I can clean that up when its finished.
HI, how and why will you mod the usb part can I help ?
I have found some different free tools to help with it, but many also suggest a program called Simplify3D, it does cost money though.

I looked at the STL files though and found that the guy who created this project had already updated these STL files before I downloaded them to support newer USB hubs for the MiSTer than the one he had. So I have printed the one he designed and now I just need some of the right screws and adapters to put it all together. I think a keyboard might be waiting for me at home otherwise I have another keyboard that should fit this case.
you do know I am the guy that made it right ?
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

leejsmith wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:15 am
leejsmith wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 am

HI, how and why will you mod the usb part can I help ?
I have found some different free tools to help with it, but many also suggest a program called Simplify3D, it does cost money though.

I looked at the STL files though and found that the guy who created this project had already updated these STL files before I downloaded them to support newer USB hubs for the MiSTer than the one he had. So I have printed the one he designed and now I just need some of the right screws and adapters to put it all together. I think a keyboard might be waiting for me at home otherwise I have another keyboard that should fit this case.
Ahh, no I did not realize that :D I can see now that you made the first post here, so makes sense.

But yeah, the updated USB part seems to work for me. Or looks like it should, I just need to get hold of some screws and such for it. I got the keyboard yesterday. Really loving the design so far. What do you use to edit 3D designs?
leejsmith

Unread post by leejsmith »

Caldor wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:39 am
leejsmith wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:15 am

Ahh, no I did not realize that :D I can see now that you made the first post here, so makes sense.

But yeah, the updated USB part seems to work for me. Or looks like it should, I just need to get hold of some screws and such for it. I got the keyboard yesterday. Really loving the design so far. What do you use to edit 3D designs?
i still use 123design and want to move to fusion, but I get frustrated with not knowing how that works when I just want to make a thing.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

There are several different CAD applications I have been looking into, but have not tried any of them yet. CURA is one of them and sounds promising, that is probably the first one I will try. Simplify3D sounds like its one that many feel is worth the money it costs, so I am guessing that must be pretty good. Blender is a general 3D editting program and... well I do game development as well so it could probably be useful to learn Blender better while also using it to make / modify 3D printer blueprints. But I worry about whether it will be easy to make accurate scaling of the product.

Three other options are TinkerCAD, Meshlab and FreeCAD. I have only tried Meshlab, or at least I am pretty sure I tried using it for reducing the complexity of some 3D models before I found some tools for doing that directly in Unity. I have also been considering trying to make my own support creation scripts to use inside Unity, to see if maybe I could automate it. But probably best to try the free software first. I suspect that will be much better.

I found this list of free 3D printer software:
https://learn.g2.com/free-3d-printing-software

Here is an image of my 3D print of your design:
MiSTer case.jpg
I have not tried putting the MiSTer inside it as I need screws for it first, then I also need the adapter cables and such, but it seems that might not be needed at first to just test it. I think it might not be the correct keyboard I have because I think its a bit too high. But it still looks okay I think. Its also RGB... was the first and cheapest I could find so I hope it wont use too much power, or that maybe I can disable the RBG in it. The switches in this one are pretty loud so I am thinking about maybe replacing them, but also I might try to 3D print new keys for it and try to make it a general Commodore keyboard, adding both C64 and Amiga specific keys to it. That will probably take away its RBG, but I did not buy it for its RBG anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dwmcqueen

Unread post by dwmcqueen »

Wonderful work! I've printed this out and am migrating my Mister to the case.

The key question I have is about my USB hub (v 1.2). The power barrel is not moveable so I will be soldering a power connector like you did. However, this buts my min-USB connector towards the outside of the case. Is a way forward to solder a header on to what is marked as P1 and P2 on the board and then hack a mini-USB cable to connect it?