My 3D printed MiSTer retro case is ready to be shared.

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
leejsmith

My 3D printed MiSTer retro case is ready to be shared.

Unread post by leejsmith »

I finished printing and testing the files so I am happy to share. Take a look at the video to see how I assemble the parts used.

ByteMavericks

Re: My 3D printed MiSTer retro case is ready to be shared.

Unread post by ByteMavericks »

That looks awesome! I've just received my board and add-ons, and am wanting something interesting as a case - that looks like it does the job very well!
TwinX

Unread post by TwinX »

Very very nice. Thumbs up for this.
deepthaw

Unread post by deepthaw »

You're doing the lord's work here.
deepthaw

Just bought the plans. Don't even have a 3-D printer. Guess I'm gonna have to start asking my friends.
leejsmith

deepthaw wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 pm Just bought the plans. Don't even have a 3-D printer. Guess I'm gonna have to start asking my friends.
wow thanks make sure it has a 220x220 print bed.
deepthaw

leejsmith wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:48 pm
deepthaw wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 pm Just bought the plans. Don't even have a 3-D printer. Guess I'm gonna have to start asking my friends.
The site from which I bought the plans is giving a deceptively low price to print it. Would you mind looking through to see what it needs to print correctly? I really do not know what I’m doing.

(Edit) A friend of mine who is in the long, arduous process of 3-D printing Iron Man’s armor looks like he’s going to help me out with this.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

This is intense! Great job!
birdybro~
leejsmith

deepthaw wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 pm
leejsmith wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:48 pm
The site from which I bought the plans is giving a deceptively low price to print it. Would you mind looking through to see what it needs to print correctly? I really do not know what I’m doing.
They are only printing the first part from the zip file. I can tell from the scale they show 10x18.5x5 mm
so you would have to upload each part separately
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

This is great!

I tried to get a quote to print it from the same site (threeding.com) but it won't let you add the top cover parts to the order. They seem to goof up the web interface and say they are $0 to print, with delivery date of 1970. :)

The rest of the parts you can add...
leejsmith

rcade wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:33 am This is great!

I tried to get a quote to print it from the same site (threeding.com) but it won't let you add the top cover parts to the order. They seem to goof up the web interface and say they are $0 to print, with delivery date of 1970. :)

The rest of the parts you can add...
I think I will have to mention a few things to the site too, the zip file uploaded only shows a single part in the 3d view too so they have a few bugs to fix.
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

I got quotes from several printers, and the lowest was $125. The highest was crazy-high... thousands. :)
deepthaw

rcade wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:35 pm I got quotes from several printers, and the lowest was $125. The highest was crazy-high... thousands. :)
Holy crap. A friend of mine thinks it won’t take more than 1 kg of filament, And I’m buying the fancy stuff the creator used which cost $40 a roll.
leejsmith

deepthaw wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:52 pm
rcade wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:35 pm I got quotes from several printers, and the lowest was $125. The highest was crazy-high... thousands. :)
Holy crap. A friend of mine thinks it won’t take more than 1 kg of filament, And I’m buying the fancy stuff the creator used which cost $40 a roll.
I think around 600g
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

deepthaw wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:52 pm
Obviously we would be paying for much more than the filament cost.
leejsmith

I post loads of updates in twitter if you want to see and I just printed the case as a single part on a big printer.
https://twitter.com/leelegionsmith/stat ... 3710973953
leejsmith

I finished the revisions for the smaller Ajazz keyboard version and also uploaded the RPI3 for the tenkless keyboard. same link as the first https://www.threeding.com/user/leejsm1th
leejsmith

Does anyone have any completed prints with keyboards ?
mbalmer

Unread post by mbalmer »

Would it be possible to have a revision that supports a full-width keyboard? I enjoy a lot of older DOS games that use the numpad and it would be amazing if the setup was modular enough to work with a full-width keyboard.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

mbalmer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:49 pm Would it be possible to have a revision that supports a full-width keyboard? I enjoy a lot of older DOS games that use the numpad and it would be amazing if the setup was modular enough to work with a full-width keyboard.
There is an option for a full size keyboard mentioned in the video: https://youtu.be/wmXbRdR733Q?t=1447
mbalmer

Unread post by mbalmer »

ash2fpga wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:37 pm There is an option for a full size keyboard mentioned in the video: https://youtu.be/wmXbRdR733Q?t=1447
I checked out the Threeding website where he's got his models posted and the MiSTer case doesn't appear to include the spacer he mentions. It isn't shown in the pictures, nor is it mentioned in the description. Is it actually in the download and just not shown?
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

I have begun printing this. Going great so far. I let my printing software add some support. Finished the first part, I had set the quality pretty high so it took 20 hours. Now I am doing the second part and set the quality lower and it should take 10 hours. Should be at least 9 hours left. I am printing it all in black. I will share some photos when I have more parts.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I'm tempted to try a print, but my printer is really small (13x13cm bed) so probably not worth it.
Hope yours comes out great though! Good luck!
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Newsdee wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:52 am I'm tempted to try a print, but my printer is really small (13x13cm bed) so probably not worth it.
Yeah, it seems these parts require the printer to be 20x20cm. Mine is 30x30 or a bit more I guess. I think its 35 in one of the axis. I guess you could probably split it up into even smaller parts, but that would probably be tedious and the result might not be worth it anyway.

I have almost finished the third part. The part for the MiSTer itself, so then I just need the two top parts and the USB part. The USB part I will need to modify though. Also this third part I am a bit unsure about. It has a lot of plastic strings going around the model, I hope I can clean that up when its finished.
leejsmith

Caldor wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 am
Newsdee wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:52 am I'm tempted to try a print, but my printer is really small (13x13cm bed) so probably not worth it.
Yeah, it seems these parts require the printer to be 20x20cm. Mine is 30x30 or a bit more I guess. I think its 35 in one of the axis. I guess you could probably split it up into even smaller parts, but that would probably be tedious and the result might not be worth it anyway.

I have almost finished the third part. The part for the MiSTer itself, so then I just need the two top parts and the USB part. The USB part I will need to modify though. Also this third part I am a bit unsure about. It has a lot of plastic strings going around the model, I hope I can clean that up when its finished.
HI, how and why will you mod the usb part can I help ?
leejsmith

mbalmer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:18 pm
ash2fpga wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:37 pm There is an option for a full size keyboard mentioned in the video: https://youtu.be/wmXbRdR733Q?t=1447
I checked out the Threeding website where he's got his models posted and the MiSTer case doesn't appear to include the spacer he mentions. It isn't shown in the pictures, nor is it mentioned in the description. Is it actually in the download and just not shown?
HI, I did have this setup for my Logitech G413 so have some very early designs, what keyboard would you want to use It could need to be changed for too many keyboards so not something I continued with
leejsmith

mbalmer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:49 pm Would it be possible to have a revision that supports a full-width keyboard? I enjoy a lot of older DOS games that use the numpad and it would be amazing if the setup was modular enough to work with a full-width keyboard.
what keyboard ? I have very early version for my Logitech G413 carbon, but it would need to many versions for all the keyboards around.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

leejsmith wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 am
Caldor wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 am

HI, how and why will you mod the usb part can I help ?
I have found some different free tools to help with it, but many also suggest a program called Simplify3D, it does cost money though.

I looked at the STL files though and found that the guy who created this project had already updated these STL files before I downloaded them to support newer USB hubs for the MiSTer than the one he had. So I have printed the one he designed and now I just need some of the right screws and adapters to put it all together. I think a keyboard might be waiting for me at home otherwise I have another keyboard that should fit this case.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Caldor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:13 pm I think a keyboard might be waiting for me at home
Man i hate the feeling of never knowing if my keyboard is still going to be there when i get home or if it has skipped town :mrgreen:
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

grizzly wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:44 pm
Caldor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:13 pm I think a keyboard might be waiting for me at home
Man i hate the feeling of never knowing if my keyboard is still going to be there when i get home or if it has skipped town :mrgreen:
Hehe :) It was here. Might not be the exact model meant for this as at the bottom the keyboard is a bit high it seems. But still fits in pretty nice. The switches are more noise than my "silent" mechanical keyboard, so I guess this Corsair keyboard that I normally use does have improved sound reduction... but its still really high compared to non-mechanical keyboards.

I still need some screws and adapters for it though so I can put it together.