My 3D printed MiSTer retro case is ready to be shared.

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
leejsmith

Re: My 3D printed MiSTer retro case is ready to be shared.

Unread post by leejsmith »

mbalmer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:18 pm
ash2fpga wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:37 pm There is an option for a full size keyboard mentioned in the video: https://youtu.be/wmXbRdR733Q?t=1447
I checked out the Threeding website where he's got his models posted and the MiSTer case doesn't appear to include the spacer he mentions. It isn't shown in the pictures, nor is it mentioned in the description. Is it actually in the download and just not shown?
HI, I did have this setup for my Logitech G413 so have some very early designs, what keyboard would you want to use It could need to be changed for too many keyboards so not something I continued with
leejsmith

mbalmer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:49 pm Would it be possible to have a revision that supports a full-width keyboard? I enjoy a lot of older DOS games that use the numpad and it would be amazing if the setup was modular enough to work with a full-width keyboard.
what keyboard ? I have very early version for my Logitech G413 carbon, but it would need to many versions for all the keyboards around.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

leejsmith wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 am
Caldor wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 am
Newsdee wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:52 am I'm tempted to try a print, but my printer is really small (13x13cm bed) so probably not worth it.
Hope yours comes out great though! Good luck!
Yeah, it seems these parts require the printer to be 20x20cm. Mine is 30x30 or a bit more I guess. I think its 35 in one of the axis. I guess you could probably split it up into even smaller parts, but that would probably be tedious and the result might not be worth it anyway.

I have almost finished the third part. The part for the MiSTer itself, so then I just need the two top parts and the USB part. The USB part I will need to modify though. Also this third part I am a bit unsure about. It has a lot of plastic strings going around the model, I hope I can clean that up when its finished.
HI, how and why will you mod the usb part can I help ?
I have found some different free tools to help with it, but many also suggest a program called Simplify3D, it does cost money though.

I looked at the STL files though and found that the guy who created this project had already updated these STL files before I downloaded them to support newer USB hubs for the MiSTer than the one he had. So I have printed the one he designed and now I just need some of the right screws and adapters to put it all together. I think a keyboard might be waiting for me at home otherwise I have another keyboard that should fit this case.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Caldor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:13 pm I think a keyboard might be waiting for me at home
Man i hate the feeling of never knowing if my keyboard is still going to be there when i get home or if it has skipped town :mrgreen:
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

grizzly wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:44 pm
Caldor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:13 pm I think a keyboard might be waiting for me at home
Man i hate the feeling of never knowing if my keyboard is still going to be there when i get home or if it has skipped town :mrgreen:
Hehe :) It was here. Might not be the exact model meant for this as at the bottom the keyboard is a bit high it seems. But still fits in pretty nice. The switches are more noise than my "silent" mechanical keyboard, so I guess this Corsair keyboard that I normally use does have improved sound reduction... but its still really high compared to non-mechanical keyboards.

I still need some screws and adapters for it though so I can put it together.
leejsmith

Caldor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:13 pm
Caldor wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 am
Yeah, it seems these parts require the printer to be 20x20cm. Mine is 30x30 or a bit more I guess. I think its 35 in one of the axis. I guess you could probably split it up into even smaller parts, but that would probably be tedious and the result might not be worth it anyway.

I have almost finished the third part. The part for the MiSTer itself, so then I just need the two top parts and the USB part. The USB part I will need to modify though. Also this third part I am a bit unsure about. It has a lot of plastic strings going around the model, I hope I can clean that up when its finished.
I have found some different free tools to help with it, but many also suggest a program called Simplify3D, it does cost money though.

I looked at the STL files though and found that the guy who created this project had already updated these STL files before I downloaded them to support newer USB hubs for the MiSTer than the one he had. So I have printed the one he designed and now I just need some of the right screws and adapters to put it all together. I think a keyboard might be waiting for me at home otherwise I have another keyboard that should fit this case.
you do know I am the guy that made it right ?
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

leejsmith wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:15 am

Ahh, no I did not realize that :D I can see now that you made the first post here, so makes sense.

But yeah, the updated USB part seems to work for me. Or looks like it should, I just need to get hold of some screws and such for it. I got the keyboard yesterday. Really loving the design so far. What do you use to edit 3D designs?
leejsmith

Caldor wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:39 am
leejsmith wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:15 am

Ahh, no I did not realize that :D I can see now that you made the first post here, so makes sense.

But yeah, the updated USB part seems to work for me. Or looks like it should, I just need to get hold of some screws and such for it. I got the keyboard yesterday. Really loving the design so far. What do you use to edit 3D designs?
i still use 123design and want to move to fusion, but I get frustrated with not knowing how that works when I just want to make a thing.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

There are several different CAD applications I have been looking into, but have not tried any of them yet. CURA is one of them and sounds promising, that is probably the first one I will try. Simplify3D sounds like its one that many feel is worth the money it costs, so I am guessing that must be pretty good. Blender is a general 3D editting program and... well I do game development as well so it could probably be useful to learn Blender better while also using it to make / modify 3D printer blueprints. But I worry about whether it will be easy to make accurate scaling of the product.

Three other options are TinkerCAD, Meshlab and FreeCAD. I have only tried Meshlab, or at least I am pretty sure I tried using it for reducing the complexity of some 3D models before I found some tools for doing that directly in Unity. I have also been considering trying to make my own support creation scripts to use inside Unity, to see if maybe I could automate it. But probably best to try the free software first. I suspect that will be much better.

I found this list of free 3D printer software:
https://learn.g2.com/free-3d-printing-software

Here is an image of my 3D print of your design:
MiSTer case.jpg
I have not tried putting the MiSTer inside it as I need screws for it first, then I also need the adapter cables and such, but it seems that might not be needed at first to just test it. I think it might not be the correct keyboard I have because I think its a bit too high. But it still looks okay I think. Its also RGB... was the first and cheapest I could find so I hope it wont use too much power, or that maybe I can disable the RBG in it. The switches in this one are pretty loud so I am thinking about maybe replacing them, but also I might try to 3D print new keys for it and try to make it a general Commodore keyboard, adding both C64 and Amiga specific keys to it. That will probably take away its RBG, but I did not buy it for its RBG anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dwmcqueen

Unread post by dwmcqueen »

Wonderful work! I've printed this out and am migrating my Mister to the case.

The key question I have is about my USB hub (v 1.2). The power barrel is not moveable so I will be soldering a power connector like you did. However, this buts my min-USB connector towards the outside of the case. Is a way forward to solder a header on to what is marked as P1 and P2 on the board and then hack a mini-USB cable to connect it?