Fan Supposed to be Running?

SouthernBoy

Fan Supposed to be Running?

Unread post by SouthernBoy »

I just got a pre-built Ultimate MiSTer that came with a Noctua fan pre-installed. I noticed after having the device on for a while that the fan wasn't running. In fact, I've never actually seen or heard the fan come on yet. Is the fan supposed to run "full-time" or only turn on when it gets hot?
grizzly

Re: Fan Supposed to be Running?

Unread post by grizzly »

The IO board should have a jumper to set the fan voltage to either 5v or 3,3v.
It´s right next to the fan header.
Could have fallen of/forgot to install during building so check that it´s there.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

If the fan is finicky, it may need 5v to startup. Try the 5v jumper position if it is on 3.3v (or missing entirely).
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

In addition to what ash said, an explanation of why fans may not start or may have issues if their voltage is too low is in this Technology Connections video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ3GW7lVBWY

Essentially the fan needs enough voltage to "turn over" similar to a starter on your gas-powered automobile. If it can't get started easily enough, it could sit there collecting electricity and burning.

However, the noctua fan they use IS designed for 3.3v so I highly doubt that is what is causing it to fail, that it's not enough voltage to turn over. It's likely that one of these things is happening:

1. The fan is faulty

2. The connectors going to the jumper pins are not making a consistent contact.

3. That I/O board is faulty

4. The connection from the I/O board to the DE10-Nano is faulty.
birdybro~
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

grizzly wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:43 pm The IO board should have a jumper to set the fan voltage to either 5v or 3,3v.
It´s right next to the fan header.
Could have fallen of/forgot to install during building so check that it´s there.
That was the exact solution in my case.

My 6.1 I/O board came with no jumper caps whatsoever.

I've scavenged a couple from old HDDs and whatnot, so I remedied that particular problem.

Please note, the 'semi-official' Noctua NF-A4x10 5V fan will not run @ 3.3V as advertised, so take care to put the jumper on the 5V setting.

Edited for fake news :mrgreen:
Nat

Unread post by Nat »

lamarax wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 pm Please note, the 'semi-official' Noctua NF-A4x10 5V fan will not run @ 3.3V as advertised, so take care to put the jumper on the 5V setting.
I think your fan is possibly faulty as the Noctua NF-A4x10 5V should work perfectly using the 3.3 volt jumper selection, albeit at a lower rpm.
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Nat wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 am I think your fan is possibly faulty as the Noctua NF-A4x10 5V should work perfectly using the 3.3 volt jumper selection, albeit at a lower rpm.
My bad; you're quite right actually! I tested again and the fan does indeed run @3.3V.

The quietness + the "rotoscope" kind of illusion under the enclosure's grille had me fooled :mrgreen: