MiSTer in the Commodore 65 / MEGA65 wedge case

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
limi
Top Contributor

MiSTer in the Commodore 65 / MEGA65 wedge case

Unread post by limi »

Since was already discussed a bit in the C64 part of this forum, I went to find some more info about the Mega65 case, a modern recreation of the never-shipped successor to the Commodore 64: the C65.

I spoke to the developers on their Discord server, and they confirmed that they will sell the Mega65 keyboard and enclosure separately from the Mega65 computer, since people are interested. This is a modern re-imagining of the C65 with a great keyboard, and space for a floppy drive.

This seems like a great option for a MiSTer wedge case.
3FCBE086-E9A2-496C-8605-C7172AE9FB9B.jpeg
D5A63605-1F7F-4A43-8D9B-9BC064559228.jpeg
They also mentioned that they want to produce a case without the floppy drive once the initial batch of units with floppy drives are sold out, and that it will look like the unreleased (and unknown until recently) C65 “Classroom” edition:
B885F06B-E1F8-4497-93F4-7D71C84924B9.jpeg
So when the project gets to the next stage, hopefully we can get our hands on these for use with the MiSTer. 😄
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattsoft

Re: MiSTer in the Commodore 65 / MEGA65 wedge case

Unread post by mattsoft »

These are cool looking cases and the diskless version is a great idea. Agreed that they could make nice homes for a MiSTer.
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

limi wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:59 pm
I spoke to the developers on their Discord server, and they confirmed that they will sell the Mega65 keyboard and enclosure separately from the Mega65 computer, since people are interested. This is a modern re-imagining of the C65 with a great keyboard, and space for a floppy drive.
Ok NOW this project has my attention .. I was never really interested in the computer part .. but the case/keyboard very much more so ..
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

Mega 65 is going to be pricey. I suspect their case won't be cheap too.
greylord

Unread post by greylord »

Those cases and keyboards are very nice, but i guess they're taylored to the Mega65 board.

Whether the MiSTer and its expansion boards will fit well inside them (and how) remains to be seen.
mattsoft

Unread post by mattsoft »

greylord wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:32 pm Those cases and keyboards are very nice, but i guess they're taylored to the Mega65 board.

Whether the MiSTer and its expansion boards will fit well inside them (and how) remains to be seen.
someone could make an adapter like the ones being made to fit a MiSTer into an ITX case.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

It was known they plan to sell the cases separately very long time ago. Unfortunately it doesn't move at all. While they develop the electronic parts and FPGA core, nothing stops them to release the cases at first for those who need just cases. At least they could rise some funds for further development.
limi wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:59 pm They also mentioned that they want to produce a case without the floppy drive once the initial batch of units with floppy drives are sold out, and that it will look like the unreleased (and unknown until recently) C65 “Classroom” edition
That's sad thing.. With floppy the case looks much better. Without floppy it's ugly - I'm not buying this definitely.
Lemme guess - normal cases will be sold out before it will be announced to public.
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

Sorgelig wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:07 am It was known they plan to sell the cases separately very long time ago. Unfortunately it doesn't move at all. While they develop the electronic parts and FPGA core, nothing stops them to release the cases at first for those who need just cases.
The only thing stopping them is protecting their launch publicity. No way are they going to let the case go out early before they launch the Mega65.
DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA »

Sorgelig wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:07 am That's sad thing.. With floppy the case looks much better. Without floppy it's ugly - I'm not buying this definitely.
Lemme guess - normal cases will be sold out before it will be announced to public.
That's only a matter of personal taste :-).
I think the one without the floppy is pretty and slim. And floppies were very unreliable even in the 80th.
The only likeable thing about them is the sound they make ...
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

In floppy part of case you can add some additional interfaces. For example you can place SD card connector there for easy access. You don't have to place a real floppy there.
DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA »

Sorgelig wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 am In floppy part of case you can add some additional interfaces. For example you can place SD card connector there for easy access. You don't have to place a real floppy there.
Yes, but the Mega65 project is serious about a REAL floppy. And the additional floppy space makes the case somehow bulky.
But to each his own ...
Hackshed_Carl

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

I'd be tempted to mount a touchpad on top of the floppy housing
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

Sorgelig wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 am In floppy part of case you can add some additional interfaces. For example you can place SD card connector there for easy access. You don't have to place a real floppy there.
Ohhh, or maybe the MT32-pi mounted in there with the OLED in the floppy mouth and buttons on top :)