Embedding into RasPad 3 case

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Embedding into RasPad 3 case

Unread post by Sorgelig »

I've received several days ago interesting case RasPad 3 from Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... rogramming
When i've saw it first time i've immediately thought it's possible to integrate MiSTer inside.
Thanks to developers who don't assign very specific place for Raspberry Pi and give a lot of freedom to integrate something else.

So it turned out embedding of MiSTer wasn't easy, it was super easy! Space inside is deep enough to accommodate even standard SDRAM vertical module. Originally i was thinking to add some retention using RPi holes, but SDRAM module has height just exact to case height inside, so it keeps MiSTer perfectly. Additionally cables keep the board in place.

The only challenging thing was to find a short thin and slim MicroHDMI - HDMI cable. I've found 50mm cable. 20mm or 30mm should be even better.
I've soldered MicroUSB -> USB-A cable to get RasPad 3 USB hub working.
Also soldered Type-C -> barrel cable to power the MiSTer.
MicroSD card breakout cable is unfortunately too short for MiSTer. You can try to find a longer ribbon cable. I've decided to go a simpler for me method - i've soldered the cable :) But even without extension cable you can use SD card directly in MiSTer. It's seldom need to be extracted.
The only breakout cable was used without any change is Ethernet :)

That's all.
Here is the result:
20201231_140223.jpg
20201231_140109.jpg
1) USB hub in RasPad 3 is USB 3.0 and it works fine in USB 2.0 mode (de10-nano has USB 2.0 only).
2) Battery works fine, but i can't tell how long it lasts yet. Charging circuit is classic slow charger, so it needs quite some time to charge.
3) RPi4 has two HDMI outputs, and RasPad3 uses this feature to use LCD panel and external HDMI at the same time. MiSTer has only single HDMI, so external HDMI is not working. With some additional work it's possible to integrate some small HDMI splitter and get external HDMI working too. But i suggest to have just additional MiSTer for RasPad3 for mobile-only use.
4) Internal speakers work fine from HDMI source. Audio is muffled though. You need to lift the RasPad 3 a little to get a better audio.
5) RasPad 3 board works quite independently, so you get icons for charging and discharging as overlay on top of MiSTer video. There are 3 LEDs on the side to show the current charge level.
6) Original fan is quite noisy even in slow mode. I've used my favourite quiet ADDA fan without heatsink. That should be enough as originally FPGA is supposed to work in up to 100 degree. Effect of this cooling isn't so good, but enough i think.

The only thing i couldn't make work is touchscreen. It's not that touchscreen is really useful for MiSTer, but would be good to make it working. I had plan to simulate a light gun for supported cores. That would be fun and a whole new experience.
Unfortunately de10-nano simply doesn't see touchscreen at all. Even lsusb doesn't show any unknown USB device. Probably it's a classic de10-nano USB host issue when some devices simply don't work.
There is also a chance that touchscreen somehow depends on HDMI and may be needs some additional initialization. Actually i've tried to connect USB hub to my Windows PC and it also doesn't see the touchscreen. I've tried RPi4 - it sees the touchscreen, so i've confirmed it works in original RPi4 config.
So probably i'm missing something here.

But anyway RasPad3 adoption already works fine. You get a portable MiSTer without any difficulties in embedding process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
limi
Top Contributor

Re: Embedding into RasPad 3 case

Unread post by limi »

This is great! I’ve previously wished I could build a version of this form factor with the low-latency, 4:3 aspect ratio iPad screen — it’s fantastic that there’s a simpler option available now.

By the way, is it capable of standing upright (“TATE”) on the side that does not have the USB ports, for games that run in vertical mode? (Mostly arcades)
warham

Unread post by warham »

ive bought small flexible cables from this place in the past

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000300793063.html
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

Not bad at all!! I still have to finish my ipad screen build :)
Ashenshards

Unread post by Ashenshards »

Finally a use for the gyro ? I think the de 10 has some kind of built motion / movement detection doesn't it?

Thanks for sharing this project. I might have to consider making one of these.
Rikko

Unread post by Rikko »

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you actually gain other than having a MiSTer in a box with a screen?
128Mb v2.5 @150MHz
USB Hub v2.1
IO Board v6.1
built, not bought
ToothbrushThreepwood

Unread post by ToothbrushThreepwood »

A portable, self-contained unit with audio, video, controller input and battery power, as I understand it.
My question is if the battery time with a DE-10 Nano is similar to the 5 hours they advertise with a Pi?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Update:
got touchscreen working. It's forcibly disabled if secondary HDMI is not connected (RPi4 has two HDMI outputs). To workaround it I've soldered a jump wire to always enable 5V supply for touchscreen board. Purple wire is what i've soldered:
20210107_014033.jpg
MiSTer recognizes it but for correct use i think it will need special support in Main.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
belgarcat

Unread post by belgarcat »

This is great! I'm really tempted to get one of these, and being able to play lightgun games with touchscreen would be really interesting!
Rikko wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:57 pm Pardon my ignorance, but what do you actually gain other than having a MiSTer in a box with a screen?
Portability
Sorgelig
Site Admin

another option to enable touchscreen is to solder 0402 resistor with 100k on outlined place:
InsertPic_.jpg
Sorgelig
Site Admin

RasPad3 includes Type-C to Barrel cable supposedly to use generic Type-C charger instead of included bulky AC adapter. Unfortunately they missed the point. This cable requests only 12V from charger while fully charged battery gives 12.6V. So you won't be able to charge RasPad3 fully by this cable. I've no idea what they were thinking to design this cable..
To use generic Type-C PD charger you will need to use this connector with small PCB configured for 15V: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P4PQ6D4
AC_SL1001_.jpg
Sorgelig
Site Admin

After experimenting with HDMI to get it on internal screen and external one, i found to conclusion that simple wires splitter to both HDMI connectors doesn't work. Secondary port acts as an antenna receiving the noise. It doesn't work if external monitor isn't connected. When external monitor is connected then both internal display and external are working.
So, there are only 2 options:
1) connect HDMI only to internal display and leave external HDMI unused.
2) use some miniature HDMI splitter inside the case.

And since i want to explore the edge cases, i've decided to try to integrate the splitter to see if it fits.
Here it is:
20210208_185505.jpg
It looks messy, but fits :) Now i can use external display.
Also i've added small USB hub to USB Blaster and USB console connections. Normal user won't need it.
20210208_214315.jpg
Basically everything of RasPad3 is supported now. Only minor thing is missing: 3 I/O buttons and 3 LEDs. They are not very important but i will think how to add them. Probably a small breakout board on the back near GPIO hole can be attached.
belgarcat

Unread post by belgarcat »

Wow, you actually supported the touchscreen in lightgun games, I can't wait to test it once I receive my raspad. Thank you!
I've also ordered the touchscreen for the ipad3/4 screen, I wonder if it will work. https://aliexpress.com/item/32979840359.html
Also, I like the HDMI splitter to allow a tvout connection. Does it work directly or do you have to press a button to switch between screens? Which model is it, can you post the link or the model name? Thanks!
max1602

Unread post by max1602 »

Nice Work! Looks cool and something different :)
Less is not always more.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

belgarcat wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 am Wow, you actually supported the touchscreen in lightgun games, I can't wait to test it once I receive my raspad. Thank you!
I've also ordered the touchscreen for the ipad3/4 screen, I wonder if it will work. https://aliexpress.com/item/32979840359.html
Also, I like the HDMI splitter to allow a tvout connection. Does it work directly or do you have to press a button to switch between screens? Which model is it, can you post the link or the model name? Thanks!
- only Raspad3 touchscreen will work. There is no point for touchscreen support basically. It's not natural control for MiSTer. I've added Raspad3 touchscreen support just for fun since it's there already.

- You don't need to switch between screens - both work at the same time providing the same resolution.

I don't have model name of splitter. It's pretty much generic one. Any splitter will work (as long as it has chips, not just wires).
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

I went ahead and attempted the same thing

I still need to make a few adjustments but it works

JvUMg8i.jpg
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

darksakul wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:28 am I still need to make a few adjustments but it works
that's quite long chain for SD card :)
darksakul

Sorgelig wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:12 pm that's quite long chain for SD card :)
I know it is, I have something I hope is shorter and works coming in the mail.

But it works, so that all that matters.

The real pain in the but was getting the HDMI splitter situated and fitting.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
darksakul

I Need to take a pic later, but the later relases of the Ras pad now comes with a a 15 volt adapter.
Its still kinda crap, the cord kinda short.

I am taking your suggestion about USB C charging. I am ordering a barrel jack to USB C PD.3 cable
The barrel jack the wrong size, but that is easy to swap to a different plug.

I am also experimenting with different fan options
I want to squeeze a 40mm Noctua fan in there, but it's not a good fit
Lorenzorenegade

Unread post by Lorenzorenegade »

Going for the raspad build with my Mister. I got everything else pretty much covered but maybe someone could instruct how to solder the USB-C to Barrel jack -adapter? Which of the wires/pads of the USB-C are connected to the barrel jack?

Thanks!
darksakul

For me I bought a pre-wired Barrel jack, and the USB C connector I bought came with this small breakout PCB that is labeled.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

If anyone else is interested in buying a RasPad 3 with a 20% discount, I just received this coupon code via email:

RASPAD20OFF

https://raspad.com/

Having just done quick test purchase and adding one to my cart, it did indeed give me a 20% discount.