tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Jukk@M

Re: tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Unread post by Jukk@M »

Neo Geo MVS:
Panic Bomber = panicbom.gsc
Pleasure Goal = pgoal.gsc
Pochi and Nyaa = pnyaa.gsc
Pop 'n Bounce = popbounc.gsc
Prehistoric Isle 2 = preisle2.gsc
Pulstar = pulstar.gsc
Super Bubble Pop = sbp.gsc
Super Dodge Ball = sdodgeb.gsc
Super Sidekicks = ssideki.gsc
Super Sidekicks 2 = ssideki2.gsc
Super Sidekicks 3 = ssideki3.gsc
Viewpoint = viewpoin.gsc
Waku Waku 7 = wakuwak7.gsc
Windjammers = wjammers.gsc
Zed Blade = zedblade.gsc
Zupapa! = zupapa.gsc
GSC_14.1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

Jukk@M wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:08 pmNeo Geo MVS:
As always: Many thanks for the fresh blood! Pictures are ready for download and sheet updated.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Jukk@M wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:08 pmNeo Geo MVS:
...and my "revenge" ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

If my calculation is correct we have now 357 XBM's and 626 GSC's.
Many Thanks to all Picture Contributor's.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

rbz

Unread post by rbz »

venice wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:25 am We have 609 "real" Pictures and 48 Symlinks in the Repo.
Yeah I don't show the symlinks since they can't be rendered directly, I probably could come up with a workaround but it would show the dupe images.
venice wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:42 am If my calculation is correct we have now 357 XBM's and 626 GSC's.
Many Thanks to all Picture Contributor's.
Glad to see the pixviewer update is working to automatically show the new files!

Here are some thoughts for upgrades I will add in the future
  • Preview pasted in XBM/GSC
  • Show a letter divider and jump links to a letter to make it easier to jump to a specific section of pictures? Although the huge wall of pics is kinda nice too
  • A way to show the i2c2oled pix?
  • Rework some of the CSS to work better on small screens, not really a frontend person so this has been the hardest part of the project so far :lol:
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

i2c2oled pix support will be great.

//Edit
No need to show symlinked Pictures as they are already shown.

Toya

Unread post by Toya »

Is this compatible with the Mt32-pi? It has an OLED screen and shows at least some information?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Toya wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:38 am Is this compatible with the Mt32-pi? It has an OLED screen and shows at least some information?
"Compatible" yes, they are working side-by-side. But if you intend to use mt32-pi's display for tty2oled, then no, in neither way.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

TTY2OLED is connected to the USB port, which is handled by the ARM CPU. MT32-pi is connected to the FPGA. It is not possible to use its display for TTY2OLED functionality without an unreasonable amount of development.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Jepp, there was already a disccussion in March...
See viewtopic.php?p=20822#p20822

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Looks like my custom PCB, that I kindly got from @gojira54, is finally arriving today, after being stuck at customs for 28 days after I payed duty. Really looking forward to finally being able to assemble it and see the result.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 am Looks like my custom PCB, that I kindly got from @gojira54, is finally arriving today, after being stuck at customs for 28 days after I payed duty. Really looking forward to finally being able to assemble it and see the result.
Holy shit! Is that the movie "28 days later"? Stuck at customs for so many weeks after paying duty? Not even the German customs is that bad!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:27 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 am Looks like my custom PCB, that I kindly got from @gojira54, is finally arriving today, after being stuck at customs for 28 days after I payed duty. Really looking forward to finally being able to assemble it and see the result.
Holy shit! Is that the movie "28 days later"? Stuck at customs for so many weeks after paying duty? Not even the German customs is that bad!
Yeah, the postal service has been failing pretty hard here the last months, with package delivery times constantly shifting days or even weeks. Apparently it is their customs department that is way behind. They are legally allowed to keep it for thirty days, but I've read messages online from people waiting for multiple months already or never getting their package after all. I have another package from the UK stuck there currently for a week.

It got a message from their app today, with a photo of the PCB package, it was supposed to be put in my mailbox today, but it still isn't there, now that it is almost evening.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:38 pm
Yeah, the postal service has been failing pretty hard here the last months, with package delivery times constantly shifting days or even weeks. Apparently it is their customs department that is way behind. They are legally allowed to keep it for thirty days, but I've read messages online from people waiting for multiple months already or never getting their package after all. I have another package from the UK stuck there currently for a week.

It got a message from their app today, with a photo of the PCB package, it was supposed to be put in my mailbox today, but it still isn't there, now that it is almost evening.
...sound like you're located in the US - I've heard of terrible delivery times since months, especially by USPS. Damn fucking times these days :(
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:54 pm

...sound like you're located in the US - I've heard of terrible delivery times since months, especially by USPS. Damn fucking times these days :(
No, I'm in the Netherlands actually. The postal service here used to be pretty good. But now they are charging duty for any package value, instead of only for 22 Euro and over. Add to that that the UK is no longer part of the EU and their work load gets worse.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:03 pm

No, I'm in the Netherlands actually. The postal service here used to be pretty good. But now they are charging duty for any package value, instead of only for 22 Euro and over. Add to that that the UK is no longer part of the EU and their work load gets worse.
Uh, I see... That's a fucking EU/UK thing. And that's why I'm still ordering from China, despite of that European "22€ order". The Chinese companies are sending via the Netherlands, seeming to bypassing German customs and are arriving in ~10-14 days. No duty, no hassle, yust fun. Strange days.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Uh, I see... That's a fucking EU/UK thing. And that's why I'm still ordering from China, despite of that European "22€ order". The Chinese companies are sending via the Netherlands, seeming to bypassing German customs and are arriving in ~10-14 days. No duty, no hassle, yust fun. Strange days.
I noticed that as well. Orders from AliExpress come flying in in about eight days now. Apparently they are member of some organization (don't remember the details) that allows them to already add tax and bypass customs.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:20 pm
I noticed that as well. Orders from AliExpress come flying in in about eight days now. Apparently they are member of some organization (don't remember the details) that allows them to already add tax and bypass customs.
Copy that. And that's why I'm a friend of the new silk road. Let's trade all together! It's a responsibility of all participating countries not to be drawn over the table (is that translating correct?).
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:13 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:20 pm

Copy that. And that's why I'm a friend of the new silk road. Let's trade all together! It's a responsibility of all participating countries not to be drawn over the table (is that translating correct?).
That does seem like a good idea. The package wasn't delivered today, hopefully tomorrow.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

...had a short night and some boredom, but verve for new pictures to fill the gaps, so here they are:
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Planning on finally assembling mine this weekend. My sleep this week sadly got wrecked by a severe allergic reaction to food coloring, never experienced that before.

Pro tip: Don't solder the headers on the Arduino before you have the PCB :D You might think you've soldered them on straight until you actually try to put them inside the holes of the PCB.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:29 am Planning on finally assembling mine this weekend. My sleep this week sadly got wrecked by a severe allergic reaction to food coloring, never experienced that before.
Oi, my compassion to you. Had similar things in the past, but after not-buying and consuming such crap these reactions are almost gone and I'm feeling like being 35 again - despite the fact that I'm still getting older :)

Pro tip: Don't solder the headers on the Arduino before you have the PCB :D You might think you've soldered them on straight until you actually try to put them inside the holes of the PCB.
Good point! And no need to solder all header points. For a good fit it's enough to solder the first and the last point of a row, plus the points where a track is leading to.
Crossing my fingers for you, but I'm very sure that you can do it. Welcome to your first tty2oled device!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

...and so that none of my greedy kids get bored, I've made and uploaded some more GSC pictures. Its gap-filling weekend again!
Sorry, no preview, you have to do the update, a look at the protocol and to play these cores intensively! :)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:50 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:29 am Planning on finally assembling mine this weekend. My sleep this week sadly got wrecked by a severe allergic reaction to food coloring, never experienced that before.
Oi, my compassion to you. Had similar things in the past, but after not-buying and consuming such crap these reactions are almost gone and I'm feeling like being 35 again - despite the fact that I'm still getting older :)
It was caused by stewed pears, part of some food we ordered, supposed to be stewed in port. It had a bit of a chemical taste. That's how I figured out that was probably the cause of it. The effect was like being stung by thousands of mosquitoes, I was covered in really itchy bumps like that (no scratching allowed) for days, being worst around 3-4am. Insane how the use of that coloring is even allowed.

Haha, I'm also not young anymore, most annoying is not being able to focus up-close anymore. But I have a magnifier desk lamp to help with soldering.
Good point! And no need to solder all header points. For a good fit it's enough to solder the first and the last point of a row, plus the points where a track is leading to.
Crossing my fingers for you, but I'm very sure that you can do it. Welcome to your first tty2oled device!
Yeah, soldering shouldn't be a problem. Really looking forward to seeing it in action!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:25 amIt was caused by stewed pears, part of some food we ordered, supposed to be stewed in port. It had a bit of a chemical taste. That's how I figured out that was probably the cause of it. The effect was like being stung by thousands of mosquitoes, I was covered in really itchy bumps like that (no scratching allowed) for days, being worst around 3-4am. Insane how the use of that coloring is even allowed.
I'm sure that these additives are allowed...in the appropriate dose. But who knows how drunk the cook was ;)
I still remember with a shudder what we have swallowed down when we were young(er). Most of these additives are forbiiden now, but very late realization. We eat ourselves to death and they're earning millions for it. But not anymore. They should eat their money and perish themselves, we went for DIY food wherever possible, as well with soaps and other things.
Haha, I'm also not young anymore, most annoying is not being able to focus up-close anymore. But I have a magnifier desk lamp to help with soldering.
Hehe, as I'm doing with my magifier glasses, if necessary :) The first time I used them, I moved around, saw myself in a mirror and thought "Gosh, I'm looking like Chu!" ("Blade Runner") :D

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:45 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:25 amIt was caused by stewed pears, part of some food we ordered, supposed to be stewed in port. It had a bit of a chemical taste. That's how I figured out that was probably the cause of it. The effect was like being stung by thousands of mosquitoes, I was covered in really itchy bumps like that (no scratching allowed) for days, being worst around 3-4am. Insane how the use of that coloring is even allowed.
I'm sure that these additives are allowed...in the appropriate dose. But who knows how drunk the cook was ;)
I still remember with a shudder what we have swallowed down when we were young(er). Most of these additives are forbiiden now, but very late realization. We eat ourselves to death and they're earning millions for it. But not anymore. They should eat their money and perish themselves, we went for DIY food wherever possible, as well with soaps and other things.
Hahaha, now I understand what happened, the cook drank all the port, got drunk and used pure food coloring instead.
Yeah, the chemical lemonade we used to drink, wow. And so much candy. Wow, nice, I also am really careful now with synthetic ingredients in everything. I wasn't expecting it this time, only ate a little bit and it was already too late.
Hehe, as I'm doing with my magifier glasses, if necessary :) The first time I used them, I moved around, saw myself in a mirror and thought "Gosh, I'm looking like Chu!" ("Blade Runner") :D

Hahaha, at least that is a really cool look.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Hey kids! It's dark and fucking cold outside. Better keep warm, cozy and safe at home, gaming with the fantastic MiSTer.
And to entertain you so that you don't do anything stupid outside home, here are even more new pictures for our great tty2oled device and the NeoGeo core. Have fun!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Awesome! I've finished soldering. Caused myself a lot more work by having soldered the headers in advance, had to reflow all the contacts about five times and use some tricks to finally fit them on the PCB. Soldering the rest of the contacts was a piece of cake.

Cut off all the header legs, be careful, they go flying off potentially landing inside your electronics. I cut them inside a container and some still escaped.

Put a bit of electrical tape where the metal display mount touches the header contact. So I have the slim sandwich now, is there a case design for that yet?

Plugging it into my PC fortunately showed the TTY2OLED splash, so far so good. Currently installing the MiSTer software for it.

EDIT: Well it just stays on the splash screen forever. Time for some dinner first. I'll probably try flashing it again with the latest update.
EDIT2: With the latest Arduino project update I keep getting a missing bounce2.h file error.
EDIT3: I'm getting this message, which seems completely wrong:
usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 4
[ 294.720822] usb 1-1.3: new full-speed USB device number 5 using dwc2
[ 294.810646] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=1a86, idProduct=55d4, bcdDevice= 4.43
[ 294.810668] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 294.810680] usb 1-1.3: Product: USB Single Serial
[ 294.810689] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 531C013836
[ 294.814594] cdc_acm 1-1.3:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
EDIT4: Does this mean my TTGO T8 1.7.1 has a different serial interface chip and will this not work with TTY2OLED?
EDIT6: It is working correctly from the Arduino console
EDIT7: Looks like this is the new replacement chip on the T8, because of the chip shortage: https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/09/14 ... rt-bridge/
EDIT8: lsusb output: Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a86:55d4 QinHeng Electronics USB Single Serial
EDIT9: Experimenting. Starting tty2oled.sh with parameters:
Using Command Line Parameter
Using Interface: /dev/ttyACM0 with 115200 Baud
USBMODE: yes
Read CORENAME: -MENU-
Send -MENU- to /dev/ttyACM0.
Setting up watches.
Watches established.
/tmp/CORENAME MODIFY
Read CORENAME: -scramble-
Send -scramble- to /dev/ttyUSB0.
Setting up watches.
Watches established.

As you can see 'scramble' is sent to the wrong device. MENU didn't change the display content, but the brightness increased a lot.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Haha, I'm stupid. Totally overlooked the device name in the user ini file. Now I have a cool menu graphic.
Wow, love the cool transition effects!

EDIT: MiSTer SAM died here, seems to be because I let update_all update it. Arcade Attract still works though, this is so cool. I looked for a postcard of my city last week, but apparently they don't exist anymore (not a city tourists would visit). Next time I'm at the large city nearby I'll pick up and send a postcard.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:48 pm Haha, I'm stupid. Totally overlooked the device name in the user ini file. Now I have a cool menu graphic.
Wow, love the cool transition effects!

EDIT: MiSTer SAM died here, seems to be because I let update_all update it. Arcade Attract still works though, this is so cool. I looked for a postcard of my city last week, but apparently they don't exist anymore (not a city tourists would visit). Next time I'm at the large city nearby I'll pick up and send a postcard.
Great that you did it, welcome on board! But I'm wondering that your device identifys itself as /dev/ttyACM0 . I'll have a talk to @venice about that.
EDIT: You already wrote it that they replaced the serial UART chip. Most of them are "ttyUSBx" ones, but some are not. And that's why we are using this as a changable parameter in the INI file ;) Who known what's coming next?