tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by Moondandy »

Very nice! That works really well in grey scale.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Blackwine is adding MRA support for Neo Geo.
viewtopic.php?f=25&p=36603#p36603

I guess this means images will ne needed for all these 149 MVS games?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Neo_Geo_games
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

Moondandy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:46 pm Blackwine is adding MRA support for Neo Geo.
I guess this means images will ne needed for all these 149 MVS games?
You can assume that. Alas, a neverending task... :)
BTW: I've added a handful new GSCs: MC1201, dorodon, dotrikun, lagunar and Jukk@M's very nice one. Sheet also edited.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Oh well, on the plus side there are a lot of good games in there to make images for - Metal Slugs will be fun. I went and added them all to the bottom of the sheet, these will presumably be added as MRAs very soon. Blackwine also added Super Xevious as well, but Patreon only for now.

With JT adding another 50+ alternates for the Sega 16 going to be a lot more arcade MRAs soon!

Thanks for adding those other images!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:36 pm Oh well, on the plus side there are a lot of good games in there to make images for - Metal Slugs will be fun. I went and added them all to the bottom of the sheet, these will presumably be added as MRAs very soon. Blackwine also added Super Xevious as well, but Patreon only for now.
Good boy. We'll see what's going on and I'm sure that Jukk@M has an eye on that also.
With JT adding another 50+ alternates for the Sega 16 going to be a lot more arcade MRAs soon!
Yes, but for the alternate MRAs see next upcoming message :)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update to the Daemon (tty2oled.sh):

The search routine now respects the slightly different core names of dozens of MRAs.
Example: You are playing Alien Syndrome from MRA Alien Syndrome (Set 1, Japan, S16A) [FD1089A 317-0033]. Alien Syndrome (the original core) is setting "aliensyn", but the alternate MRA is setting "aliensynjo" as core name - following the naming rules of MAME - so you'll get a text only output of "aliensynjo" as the is no appropriate picture for now. The new routine cuts down the core name until there might be a conformable picture of that name...means "aliensynjo" becomes "aliensyn" after a few tries - or still text only as a last resort.

Simple but effective. And no need to create dozens/hundreds of double/new/similar pictures for the same game - even though the possibility remains of course :)
Jukk@M

Unread post by Jukk@M »

Arcade:
Metal Slug = Metal Slug.gsc ?
Metal Slug 2 = Metal Slug 2.gsc ?
Metal Slug 3 = Metal Slug 3.gsc ?
Metal Slug 4 = Metal Slug 4.gsc ?
Metal Slug 5 = Metal Slug 5.gsc ?
Metal Slug X = Metal Slug X.gsc ?
Nand2Tetris = Hack.gsc
Super Xevious = Super Xevious.gsc ?
GSC_10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Jukk@M wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:40 am Arcade:
Metal Slug = Metal Slug.gsc ?
Metal Slug 2 = Metal Slug 2.gsc ?
Metal Slug 3 = Metal Slug 3.gsc ?
Metal Slug 4 = Metal Slug 4.gsc ?
Metal Slug 5 = Metal Slug 5.gsc ?
Metal Slug X = Metal Slug X.gsc ?
Nand2Tetris = Hack.gsc
Super Xevious = Super Xevious.gsc ?
Thanks again, mate! Nand2Tetris is already in tree. Are the others prepared for NeoGeo MRA and therefore with a question mark? We'll have to wait for news about that and it's naming scheme before publishing your pictures. Anyways, pack#10 parked...
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I just ordered a tty2oled PCB from eBay UK, many thanks to the person offering them, if he/she is on this forum.

Now I'm trying to decide on a display. Are there any preferred brands, display colors (lifespan?) or sizes, or ones that would be better avoided?
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

gojira54

Unread post by gojira54 »

I've got 2x TTGO T8 PCBs left - free to forum members, just cover the postage from UK =]
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:02 amNow I'm trying to decide on a display. Are there any preferred brands, display colors (lifespan?) or sizes, or ones that would be better avoided?
Any SSD1322 in any size should do a fine job. No preffered brand for now. Lifespan unknown as all displays we're using are still alive. Display color of your taste, but my personal favorite is "white" for it's strong contrast (in my opinion).
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

venice wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:11 am Habe you checked the Gallery?
https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... ki/Gallery
Yes, multiple times :) I'm leaning towards green right now, but I wonder if it is a pure (emerald) green or more yellow-ish (towards lime). I would much prefer a pure green.
RealLarry wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:28 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:02 amNow I'm trying to decide on a display. Are there any preferred brands, display colors (lifespan?) or sizes, or ones that would be better avoided?
Any SSD1322 in any size should do a fine job. No preffered brand for now. Lifespan unknown as all displays we're using are still alive. Display color of your taste, but my personal favorite is "white" for it's strong contrast (in my opinion).
Thanks! That is good to know.

I was looking into the lifespan of the OLED pixels (hours to 50% brightness) and it seems like yellow is the best color in that regard. Though for how many hours a day it would be used on average, it probably doesn't really matter. And my case is acrylic 'looking glass' greenish, so yellow doesn't really match well.

I'm considering white as well, as it is such a neutral color for all the logos. Though I might not want to look at a pure white light source late in the evening.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Good work getting started on the Neo Geo already!

So weirdly with Super Xevious, Blackwine has a space in the .mra filename
https://github.com/blackwine/Arcade-Xev ... r/releases
"Super Xevious.mra" - this seems to be the only .mra that does this, which I am wondering if it would cause issues. Might be worth asking if it can be a without a gap if it is going to cause issues.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:46 amI was looking into the lifespan of the OLED pixels (hours to 50% brightness)
Right thought :) That's the cause why we have set the default contrast to 100 (of 255): it offers the best relation between contrast and lifespan.
I have a green 5.5" OLED in use and that green is "green" like Slimer's green as seen in Ghostbusters :)
I'll take some photos for you later in hope that might help you making a decision...
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:48 am Good work getting started on the Neo Geo already!

So weirdly with Super Xevious, Blackwine has a space in the .mra filename
"Super Xevious.mra" - this seems to be the only .mra that does this, which I am wondering if it would cause issues. Might be worth asking if it can be a without a gap if it is going to cause issues.
Great to hear! The space character is no problem...whe had that issue some months ago with another core's name and factored that in the Daemon already.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:11 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:46 amI was looking into the lifespan of the OLED pixels (hours to 50% brightness)
Right thought :) That's the cause why we have set the default contrast to 100 (of 255): it offers the best relation between contrast and lifespan.
Great to hear that! That will also make it a bit easier on the eyes late in the evening.
I have a green 5.5" OLED in use and that green is "green" like Slimer's green as seen in Ghostbusters :)
I'll take some photos for you later in hope that might help you making a decision...
I guess that is slightly towards yellow then, maybe like a grass green? Photos would be great, much appreciated.
stefer09

Unread post by stefer09 »

You could update the gallery with my new enclosure :

a6aff6f710ea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:19 pm
RealLarry wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:11 pm
Great to hear that! That will also make it a bit easier on the eyes late in the evening.
Yes, and even if it's too stressful for your eyes you can edit tty2oled.ini and set your appropriate contrast there.

I guess that is slightly towards yellow then, maybe like a grass green? Photos would be great, much appreciated.
Here they are. There has to be another OLED in "unknown" color, but I don't no where it's burried in my lab...erm...
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:48 amSo weirdly with Super Xevious, Blackwine has a space in the .mra filename
Ha! Just inspected these. Despite their filename (which are uninteresting for us), both are setting "xevious" as corename (see one of my previous posts about MRA, MAME and <setname>). So only one xevious.gsc and many xevious_altX.gsc possible (see USE_RANDOM_ALT in tty2oled.ini).
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Hi@all,
we have now 357 XBM Pictures and 510 GSC's.
Many many Thanks :)

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:11 pm Yes, and even if it's too stressful for your eyes you can edit tty2oled.ini and set your appropriate contrast there.
Good to know that! That will come in handy.
Here they are. There has to be another OLED in "unknown" color, but I don't no where it's burried in my lab...erm...
Yellow? :D
Wow, thanks so much for that! That is a great comparison.

I see what you mean with the white display, it does grey scale really well and looks really clear. The green one looks like a nice shade of green as well, I like how it reminds me of old monochrome monitors. The blue one seems to have the least amount of contrast in your photos.
Jukk@M

Unread post by Jukk@M »

Neo Geo MVS:
Alpha Mission II = Alpha Mission II.gsc
Andro Dunos = Andro Dunos.gsc
Art of Fighting = Art of Fighting.gsc
Baseball Stars 2 = Baseball Stars 2.gsc
Baseball Stars Professional = Baseball Stars Professional.gsc
Blue's Journey = Blue's Journey.gsc
Burning Fight = Burning Fight.gsc
Crossed Swords = Crossed Swords.gsc
Cyber-Lip = Cyber-Lip.gsc
Eight Man = Eight Man.gsc
Fatal Fury: King of Fighters = Fatal Fury King of Fighters.gsc
Ghost Pilots = Ghost Pilots.gsc
King of the Monsters = King of the Monsters.gsc
King of the Monsters 2 = King of the Monsters 2.gsc
Last Resort = Last Resort.gsc
League Bowling = League Bowling.gsc
Legend of Success Joe = Legend of Success Joe.gsc
Magician Lord = Magician Lord.gsc
Metal Slug = Metal Slug.gsc (Update)
Metal Slug 2 = Metal Slug 2.gsc (Update)
Metal Slug 3 = Metal Slug 3.gsc (Update)
Metal Slug 4 = Metal Slug 4.gsc (Update)
Metal Slug 5 = Metal Slug 5.gsc (Update)
Metal Slug X = Metal Slug X.gsc (Update)
Mutation Nation = Mutation Nation.gsc
NAM-1975 = NAM-1975.gsc
Ninja Combat = Ninja Combat.gsc
Ninja Commando = Ninja Commando.gsc
Puzzled = Puzzled.gsc
Riding Hero = Riding Hero.gsc
Robo Army = Robo Army.gsc
Sengoku = Sengoku.gsc
Soccer Brawl = Soccer Brawl.gsc
Super Baseball 2020 = Super Baseball 2020.gsc
The Super Spy = The Super Spy.gsc
Thrash Rally = Thrash Rally.gsc
Top Player's Golf = Top Player's Golf.gsc
World Heroes = World Heroes.gsc
GSC_11.jpg
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Really great Pictures, many Thanks again.
Are the Pictures ready to be used or do we have to wait until we know the correct Names (MRA-Setname/Corename)?

RealLarry
Top Contributor

venice wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:31 amAre the Pictures ready to be used or do we have to wait until we know the correct Names (MRA-Setname/Corename)?
We have to wait, unfortunately. I haven't seen any NeoGeo MRA's 'til now, so <setname> of them is totally unknown.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Great effort getting so many of these Neo Geo games done already! I have reached out to Blackwine to see if he has a list of filenames yet.

JT was talking about a lot of variants dropping today, so may want to see if these are going to need images or be picked up by the work to map to similar named files.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:17 pmJT was talking about a lot of variants dropping today, so may want to see if these are going to need images or be picked up by the work to map to similar named files.
Is is not only talking about, he released them some minutes ago (at least for his Patreons). Pictures for them are finished and ready for download by the fuckin' early bird (me). "Fantasy Zone 2" was already done. Couldn't find anything nice for "Toryumon" for now.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Good effort!

OK, so we have the Neo Geo .mra list from Blackwine here:

2020 Super Baseball.mra
3 Count Bout.mra
Aero Fighters 2.mra
Aero Fighters 3.mra
Aggressors of Dark Kombat.mra
Alpha Mission II.mra
Andro Dunos.mra
Art of Fighting 2.mra
Art of Fighting 3 - The Path of the Warrior.mra
Art of Fighting.mra
Bakatonosama Mahjong Manyuuki.mra
Bang Bang Busters.mra
Bang Bead.mra
Baseball Stars 2.mra
Baseball Stars Professional.mra
Battle Flip Shot.mra
Blazing Star.mra
Blue's Journey.mra
Breakers Revenge.mra
Breakers.mra
Burning Fight.mra
Captain Tomaday.mra
Choutetsu Brikin'ger.mra
Crossed Swords 2.mra
Crossed Swords.mra
Cyber-Lip.mra
Digger Man.mra
Double Dragon (Neo-Geo).mra
Dragon's Heaven (development board).mra
Eight Man.mra
Far East of Eden - Kabuki Klash.mra
Fatal Fury - King of Fighters.mra
Fatal Fury 2.mra
Fatal Fury 3 - Road to the Final Victory.mra
Fatal Fury Special.mra
Fight Fever.mra
Football Frenzy.mra
Galaxy Fight - Universal Warriors.mra
Ganryu.mra
Garou - Mark of the Wolves.mra
Ghost Pilots.mra
Ghostlop.mra
Goal! Goal! Goal!.mra
Gururin.mra
Idol Mahjong Final Romance 2.mra
Janshin Densetsu - Quest of Jongmaster.mra
Karnov's Revenge.mra
King of the Monsters 2 - The Next Thing.mra
King of the Monsters.mra
Kizuna Encounter - Super Tag Battle.mra
Last Resort.mra
League Bowling.mra
Legend of Success Joe.mra
Magical Drop II.mra
Magical Drop III.mra
Magician Lord.mra
Mahjong Kyo Retsuden.mra
Matrimelee.mra
Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001.mra
Metal Slug 2 - Super Vehicle-001.mra
Metal Slug 3.mra
Metal Slug 4.mra
Metal Slug 5.mra
Metal Slug X - Super Vehicle-001.mra
Minasan no Okagesamadesu! Dai Sugoroku Taikai.mra
Money Puzzle Exchanger.mra
Mutation Nation.mra
NAM-1975.mra
Neo Bomberman.mra
Neo Drift Out - New Technology.mra
Neo Mr. Do!.mra
Neo Turf Masters.mra
Neo-Geo Cup '98 - The Road to the Victory.mra
Nightmare in the Dark.mra
Ninja Combat.mra
Ninja Commando.mra
Ninja Master's - Haoh-ninpo-cho.mra
Over Top.mra
Pae Wang Jeon Seol.mra
Panic Bomber.mra
Pleasure Goal.mra
Pochi and Nyaa.mra
Pop 'n Bounce.mra
Power Spikes II.mra
Prehistoric Isle 2.mra
Pulstar.mra
Puzzle Bobble 2.mra
Puzzle Bobble.mra
Puzzle De Pon! R!.mra
Puzzle De Pon!.mra
Puzzled.mra
Quiz Daisousa Sen - The Last Count Down.mra
Quiz King of Fighters.mra
Quiz Meitantei Neo & Geo - Quiz Daisousa Sen part 2.mra
Rage of the Dragons.mra
Ragnagard.mra
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 - The Newcomers.mra
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special.mra
Real Bout Fatal Fury.mra
Riding Hero.mra
Robo Army.mra
SNK vs. Capcom - SVC Chaos.mra
Samurai Shodown II.mra
Samurai Shodown III.mra
Samurai Shodown IV - Amakusa's Revenge.mra
Samurai Shodown V Special.mra
Samurai Shodown V.mra
Samurai Shodown.mra
Savage Reign.mra
Sengoku 2.mra
Sengoku 3.mra
Sengoku.mra
Shock Troopers - 2nd Squad.mra
Shock Troopers.mra
Shougi no Tatsujin - Master of Shougi.mra
Soccer Brawl.mra
Spin Master.mra
Stakes Winner 2.mra
Stakes Winner.mra
Street Hoop.mra
Strikers 1945 Plus.mra
Super Bubble Pop.mra
Super Dodge Ball.mra
Super Sidekicks 2 - The World Championship.mra
Super Sidekicks 3 - The Next Glory.mra
Super Sidekicks.mra
The Irritating Maze.mra
The King of Fighters '94.mra
The King of Fighters '95.mra
The King of Fighters '96.mra
The King of Fighters '97.mra
The King of Fighters '98 - The Slugfest.mra
The King of Fighters '99 - Millennium Battle.mra
The King of Fighters 2000.mra
The King of Fighters 2001.mra
The King of Fighters 2002.mra
The King of Fighters 2003.mra
The Last Blade 2.mra
The Last Blade.mra
The Super Spy.mra
The Ultimate 11 - The SNK Football Championship.mra
Thrash Rally.mra
Top Hunter - Roddy & Cathy.mra
Top Player's Golf.mra
Twinkle Star Sprites.mra
Viewpoint.mra
Voltage Fighter - Gowcaizer.mra
Waku Waku 7.mra
Windjammers.mra
World Heroes 2 Jet.mra
World Heroes 2.mra
World Heroes Perfect.mra
World Heroes.mra
Zed Blade.mra
Zintrick.mra
Zupapa!.mra
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:53 pm Good effort!

OK, so we have the Neo Geo .mra list from Blackwine here:
Good job! But: This is the part for the sheet. The other important part is whats the <setname> inside these MRAs as this will be the name of the corresponding picture :idea:
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Oh, I didn't realise that was different, let me ask again.