tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

Yeah, I'll take a look to the mentioned ones as I've to, erm, create some similiar-ones-but-I-can't-talk-about pictures :)
BTW: Did you read Sorgelig's answer about "logos for rom's"? He did it already and it's working as suggested by you. I think it's time for you to learn how to create nice pictures as there'll are zillions to be done... :ugeek:
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by Moondandy »

Hah! I probably should learn to make some pics. So does this mean that every single rom for every core could now have a pic?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:57 pm Hah! I probably should learn to make some pics. So does this mean that every single rom for every core could now have a pic?
More or less, yes. He released a new version of MAIN yesterday with an appropriate hint. I tried this with some cores (Atari 2600, Atari XL, C64, SMS, NeoGeo) then, but every core printed out what ROM or disk I have loaded.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hmm, is it possible for it to default to the core image if there isn't one for the ROM? There is the big issue that ROM names aren't standardised for console games like they are for arcades, different packs often have different names.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:31 am Hmm, is it possible for it to default to the core image if there isn't one for the ROM? There is the big issue that ROM names aren't standardised for console games like they are for arcades, different packs often have different names.
You're correct. We are thinking about using a checksum based translation table. This requires that one is using "ROM packs" which are containing standard ROM/Disk dumps - this means it would be difficult to impossible to include hacked and patched ones. But better this than a dead dove in the raindutter :D
Moondandy
Top Contributor

That sounds a good idea, might be good (if possible) to have a flag in the .ini to use rom images if available, otherwise always use the system image.
Jukk@M

Unread post by Jukk@M »

Arcade pictures :
Tokio - Scramble Formation = tokiob.xbm
Tron = tron.xbm
Two Tigers = twotigerc.xbm
U.N. Squadron = unsquad.xbm
UniWar S = uniwars
Vampire Hunter 2 Darkstalkers Revenge = vhunt2.xbm
Vampire Savior The Lord of Vampire = vsav.xbm
Vampire Savior 2 The Lord of Vampire = vsav2.xbm
Van-Van Car = vanvan.xbm
Varth Operation Thunderstorm = varth.xbm
Victory = victorycb.xbm
Vindicators Part 2 = vindctr2.xbm
X-Men children of the atom = xmcota.xbm
X-Men vs Street Fighter = xmvsf.xbm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:39 pm That sounds a good idea, might be good (if possible) to have a flag in the .ini to use rom images if available, otherwise always use the system image.
The mentioned flag is already in my testing version of INI and with your thought in my mind ;)
Today I have played with the new informations Sorgelib gave us. Nice and needful infos, but what I'm missing is the info what ROM/Disk was started finally. This state would end in displaying the current/last selected ROM/Disk and the corresponding picture while browsing through the filebrowser. Also a nice option, indeed, but I'm afraid that could be "too much" and maybe slowdown things.
What do you think? (other users gladly included)
Moondandy
Top Contributor

So would the flow be:
Launch Master System: Master System Image
Launch Sonic within MS core: image changes to Sonic
Open OSD while in Sonic and browse: image stays as Sonic
Launch Alex The Kidd: images changes to Alex The Kidd
?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:30 pm So would the flow be:
Open OSD while in Sonic and browse: image stays as Sonic
?
No, just not. What you are describing is that what i had in mind, but (for now, under the given circumstances) the way would be
Browse through the ROMs, displaying every picture of item which is selected/underlined
Open OSD while in Sonic and browse: same as two points above

Unsatisfying to me. Hmm....
Moondandy
Top Contributor

That would certainly be an easy way to check images if you just needed to run through the menu to see them without launching
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:53 pm That would certainly be an easy way to check images if you just needed to run through the menu to see them without launching
And that is what I mentioned with "nice option" - but leds to more new difficulties: How long to wait after receiving a new selected entry to display the picture? What if your are selecting ROMs one by one in a second? ESP/OLED needs some time too. Would led to receive and display every n'th entry only when fast tackling the entrys.
But good to talk about, as this brings ideas, solutions and problems ontop the table.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Jukk@M wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:40 pm Arcade pictures :
Tokio - Scramble Formation = tokiob.xbm
Pack 11 (tty2oled-xbm_11.rar) uploaded.
Many Thanks

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

Moondandy
Top Contributor

I don't know if one of you chaps would be interested in doing this, but it would be really helpful to see a video demo of your workflow for making an image. Getting the initial image, what software you use for resizing and rendering, how you check them, then finally uploading. A visual step by step guide of how to do it efficiency with free software would be great. Might help get some more image makers on board as well, I am certainly keen to give it a go and would to see how a pro does it.

I was having a think about what systems might be doable originally for game images without the use of checksum tables etc. For different named ones. Some of the smaller, older systems sometimes only have one pack with a handful of games, the RX-78 springs to mind. The downside is these cores don't get a lot of eyes on them but would work as almost a proof of concept. The one that may be more interesting might be the Top300 Dos Pack, as most people playing on the 486 are using the same pack and it has all the big games in there.

If you have a system you are wanting to use as a proof of concept test let me know and I can put together a new tab on the sheet.
stefer09

Unread post by stefer09 »

Hmmm for myself it's a combination of Photoshop, then Gimp to convert the file to XBM ... and I use different tools in Photoshop depending on the image, so it would be hard to do a step by step guide because it's on a case by case basis...
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:04 pm I don't know if one of you chaps would be interested in doing this, but it would be really helpful to see a video demo of your workflow for making an image. Getting the initial image, what software you use for resizing and rendering, how you check them, then finally uploading. A visual step by step guide of how to do it efficiency with free software would be great. Might help get some more image makers on board as well, I am certainly keen to give it a go and would to see how a pro does it.
There is no "standard procedure" for b/w images. The capabilities for these pictures are so much limited (256x64 pixel with one colour) that one has to be highly imaginative. This getting more easier with our "mysterious greyshades" and with some luck and depending on the source picture, one can use a handful of functions within GIMP to gain attracive results. But again, sometimes it might be necessary and/or useful to use these functions the other
way round, in addition with other functions, technics and artistical ability. Like the real life :)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:04 pmI was having a think about what systems might be doable originally for game images without the use of checksum tables etc. For different named ones. Some of the smaller, older systems sometimes only have one pack with a handful of games, the RX-78 springs to mind. The downside is these cores don't get a lot of eyes on them but would work as almost a proof of concept. The one that may be more interesting might be the Top300 Dos Pack, as most people playing on the 486 are using the same pack and it has all the big games in there.

If you have a system you are wanting to use as a proof of concept test let me know and I can put together a new tab on the sheet.
I'm getting crazy and doomed about this. Filenames are too much unreliable, CD based games aren't revealling their fileextension and VHD based cores/games are permanently changing their content. Waiting for the Geistesblitz (a flash of genius).
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Well if it is only used for arcade cores, it can be kept so that with non-arcade it always just displays the system image, right?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:40 pm Well if it is only used for arcade cores, it can be kept so that with non-arcade it always just displays the system image, right?
Correct. The core's picture will be displayed all the time when core is getting started (ie "Commodore C64") (I wouln't change that bevaviour, regardless what way tty2oled is going to be in future). If the function of displaying ROMs/Disk pictures will be realised, the meant behaviour would be extended by "if a ROM/Disk is loaded and there exists a picture which fits to checksum/filename/whatever, it will be displayed - or the name of core/disk will be shown as plain text and last resort". Regardless of the core. Existing information would be shown.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

That's OK then, so it's something that can be used where it will benefit - like on System E, and there is no instance where having this means you wouldn't still get the system image.

I think I have figured out why I keep getting my tty2oled script being a 0 bytes file. I think it happens if you run the script when you have no internet connection, it tries to download a new version before checking there is one, and replaces the file with a 0 bytes file.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:19 pm That's OK then, so it's something that can be used where it will benefit - like on System E, and there is no instance where having this means you wouldn't still get the system image.

I think I have figured out why I keep getting my tty2oled script being a 0 bytes file. I think it happens if you run the script when you have no internet connection, it tries to download a new version before checking there is one, and replaces the file with a 0 bytes file.
Thanks for your informations. Will be checked out tomorrow.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:19 pmI think I have figured out why I keep getting my tty2oled script being a 0 bytes file. I think it happens if you run the script when you have no internet connection, it tries to download a new version before checking there is one, and replaces the file with a 0 bytes file.
Gosh, you're right! Just simulated a "no internet" at my MiSTer and also got an update_tty2oled.sh with 0 Byte.
Will be fixed before breakfast.

EDIT: Fixed, tested and comitted. Please run update_tty2oled.sh again to get the new fixed updater.
If anything is getting wrong with updater's uddate, please report immediately and if in doubt, manually download the updater and rerun:

Code: Select all

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tty2oled/main/update_tty2oled.sh -O /media/fat/Scripts/update_tty2oled.sh
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:19 pm That's OK then, so it's something that can be used where it will benefit - like on System E, and there is no instance where having this means you wouldn't still get the system image.
Seems that System E games are using the normal Sega Master System (SMS) core, but MAME ROMs with it. This is using the standard pictures for tty2oled then.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Update ran fine for me, thanks for fixing!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:01 pm Update ran fine for me, thanks for fixing!
Aah! Glad to hear. You're welcome.
Jukk@M

Unread post by Jukk@M »

Arcade pictures :
Super Zaxxon = szaxxon
Swat = swat.xbm
Tetris = atetrisc.xbm , tetrisse.xbm , tetris.xbm
The King of Dragons = kod.xbm
Time Pilot '84 (Set 2) = tp84a.xbm
Time Pilot '84 (Set 3) = tp84b.xbm
Time Scanner = timescan.xbm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jukk@M

Unread post by Jukk@M »

Arcade pictures :
SuperCobra = scobra
Super Glob = sprglbpg
Super Pac-Man = superpac
Tazz-Mania = tazmania
TeddyBoy Blues = teddybb
The Glob = theglobp
The Punisher = punisher
The Speed Rumbler = srumbler
Three Wonders = 3wonders
Tiger Road = tigeroad.xbm
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Jukk@M Pictures Packs 12+13 ready for your Updater.

venice
Top Contributor

tty2oled Greyscale-Update release

Unread post by venice »

Hi tty2oled friends,
we have released the tty2oled Greyscale-Update for you!

During our tests with an 5.5" SSD1322 Display we figured out that the SSD1322 Display controller is able to handle 16 greyscale levels!

The main problem was that the actual used Arduino graphics library "U8G2" is for monochrome displays only.
Adafruit offers a graphics and greyscale library called "Adafruit GFX" but without support for the SSD1322 controller.
But Adafruit offers a hardware add-on library for the SSD1327 controller.
We forked this library and modfied it for the SSD1322 controller.

Voila! Now we have full 16 level greyscale-support for the SSD1322 controller and our 256x64 pixel display.
altered_beast.png

We have modified all parts of the software around the tty2oled display for greyscale support.
You need to update the tty2oled MiSTer scripts and it's INI file. Just run the tty2oled updater to accomplish this.
And you will have to re-program your tty2oled hardware with the new Arduino program.

If you have updated your tty2oled hardware with the new Arduino program, set the new
INI Option "USE_GSC_PICTURES" (see below) to "yes", to get the new pictures shown.

The Arduino program code got:
  • Support for monochrome (xbm) and greyscale (gsc) pictures
  • Option "XROTATE" to enable 180° rotation per default
  • Option "XTILT" to enable support for a tilt-sensor for display auto-rotation on (actually) pin32
  • Option "XDTI" to enable support for the MIC145 (LM75 compatible) temperature sensor on d.ti's board
  • Option "XSENDACK" to enable "Send Acknowlege" from tty2oled back to the MiSTer - very useful if you're using the text or geometric commands

Needed libraries for the Arduino program:
  • Adafruit GFX (*) and all depending libraries
  • U8G2 for Adafruit GFX (*)
  • Bounce2 (*) needed for the tilt-sensor
  • eHaJo_LM75 (*) needed for the MIC145 sensor on d.ti's tty2oled board
(*) These Libraries can be installed using Arduino's library manager.
See also https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... Windows%29

The INI file got:
  • New option "USE_GSC_PICTURES" to enable or disable greyscale picture (GSC) support - if you set this option to "no" (default) you can still use the old Arduino software.
  • New option "USE_RANDOM_ALT" to enable or disable the usage of the alternative "_alt" files - if set to "yes" and there're xxx_alt* pictures, they'll be diced out and displayed.

The MiSTer scripts got:
  • Support for monochrome and greyscale pictures
  • Picture download using rsync
  • Enhanced error handling
  • Enhanced update handling
General Changes:
  • Initial picture download is done using an zipped file
  • Picture content delivery is now done using an external webserver
    This extremely speeds up the picture download and their checksum files aren't needed anymore

Needed tools for creating greyscale pictures:
  • Graphic program (Gimp, Paint, Photoshop, Paint@Net, etc.)
The following Picture priority is used:
Highest
  • GSC Pictures in /media/fat/tty2oled/pics_pri
  • XBM Pictures in /media/fat/tty2oled/pics_pri
  • GSC US Pictures (if enabled) in /media/fat/tty2oled/pics/...
  • XBM US Pictures (if enabled) in /media/fat/tty2oled/pics/...
  • GSC Pictures in /media/fat/tty2oled/pics/...
  • XBM Pictures in /media/fat/tty2oled/pics/...
  • Text based Pictures (if enabled) in /media/fat/tty2oled/pics/...
  • Corename Output as Text
Lowest

Requirement: You need to run MiSter Release 2021-08-31 or newer.

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Wow, congrats chaps, that's quite an achievement and Altered Beast image looks great!

For people making images, should they stop making monochrome and just make greyscale going forward or is there still a reason to keep making monochrome in addition to Greyscale?