tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
zinjin21

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by zinjin21 »

RealLarry wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:37 am
zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:27 amOh!!!!! I fix it!!!!
I do not know why.
Serial is receiving strange data. so i called Serial.flush() once and it fixed it!
Good boy! Glad that you got it woeking now.
But damned, I inserted this line of code in march '21 and removed it again after I've fixed my graphics problems by resoldering a bad solder joint at displays header :roll:
Could your please try to set Serial.flush() a few lines earlier? ie from line #227

Code: Select all

// Init Serial
  //Serial.begin(57600);                       // 57600 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  Serial.begin(115200);                      // 115200 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  //Serial.begin(921600);                     // 921600 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  Serial.flush();
and retest your setup? If all goes well we'll commit this to the codebase.
Good. It's still good work. Thank you.
I tested on NodeMCU V3 and NodeMCU CP2102.

My guess is that the driver sends something to Serial when it is connected via USB.
It's just a guess.
화면 캡처 2021-07-10 135219.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

Moondandy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:02 pmIt's such a great wee project that I don't think too many MiSTer users are even fully aware of, I wasn't until recently. It definitely deserves some more exposure.
Same to me. Found this project in january? february? and thought "Nice, but why?". While playing with Arduino/ESPs in march I gave it a try just for fun, was very pleased and fixed a bug in his code. This marked the beginning of a great collaboration.
And if you want to give Venice a big thank you, just send him a postcard: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... i/Cardware

Also, give me a shout if you want edit access to the sheet I knocked up.
Will do this the next minutes as I've commited some pics for Jotego's cores...
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
RealLarry
Top Contributor

zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:52 am
RealLarry wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:37 am
zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:27 amOh!!!!! I fix it!!!!
I do not know why.
Serial is receiving strange data. so i called Serial.flush() once and it fixed it!
Good boy! Glad that you got it woeking now.
But damned, I inserted this line of code in march '21 and removed it again after I've fixed my graphics problems by resoldering a bad solder joint at displays header :roll:
Could your please try to set Serial.flush() a few lines earlier? ie from line #227

Code: Select all

// Init Serial
  //Serial.begin(57600);                       // 57600 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  Serial.begin(115200);                      // 115200 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  //Serial.begin(921600);                     // 921600 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  Serial.flush();
and retest your setup? If all goes well we'll commit this to the codebase.
Good. It's still good work. Thank you.
Aah, great! Thanks for reporting this! We'll fix this today. Keep having fun with it! And stay tuned, because there will be more and beautiful things to discover soon ;)
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:27 am ..
Oh!!!!! I fix it!!!!
Great :)
Did you use "testing" or the "normal" USB-Version?

Could you try a longer run using MiSTer_SAM if you like to see how stable it works?
SAM = https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_SAM
Don't enable the tty support in SAM, just run it.

I will add your fix to my actual "testing" and run a few tests.
The SD Version got the new line as well.

Cheers :mrgreen:

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Moondandy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:29 pm ..
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Might be of use to people into making the images to see what is currently missing. I need to finish reading through all the wikis for the project and get my head around how it works for arcade cores, but can add those to the list later on.

If this is useful and anyone wants edit access to the file just let me know.
Can I link to your list from the tty2oled Wiki?
If yes I get rid of my excel sheet ;) and the translation list.

Btw, in Arcade, some entries in the Name and XBM column need to be swapped.
Many Thx

..a nice weekend @all

Reg

Unread post by Reg »

The latest challenge - I install the screen saver applicaiton - figured it would be nice and I get this on the tt2oled.
IMG_9578.jpg
Wondeful - not working correctly - but clearly I must need to update the tty2oled Arduino sketch and upload it through Arduino 1.8.15.

I've rebuilt my PC since I first did this so I install everything again and it all appears good. I have the "MiSTer FPGA by Sorgelig" appear with the USB icon.

I connect back USB cable to the case in the MiSTer and the display is dead. Ok, I figure something went wrong. When I then upload to the Arduino again - nothing.

Going to walk away and try later - I really don't need this shit going wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:02 pmAlso, give me a shout if you want edit access to the sheet I knocked up.
Thanks, very helpful. Did some changes, a handful additions and dozens of preparations.
Hint: One can take the XBM/picturename from the respective MRA, the tag there is named <setname>
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Reg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:54 am ...
The tty2oled program on the ESP got some enhancements to show text which is used by MiSTer_SAM.
If you don't enable tty support in MiSTer_SAM INI you should see the "normal" pictures and you don't need an ESP Update.
If you enable tty support in MiSTer_SAM you should see text, but you need the latest tty2oled program version on the ESP.

You can try "testing" as well as this version add the possiblity to install future version via Wireless.
Testing is available here: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... SB_Testing
If you like to try testing read the readme at Github and let me know if something is unclear.

zinjin21

venice wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:18 am
Oh!!!!! I fix it!!!!
I use “normal” USB-Version.
Could you try a longer run using MiSTer_SAM if you like to see how stable it works?
I tested now. its great work~! good I’m happy. :lol: :lol:
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

venice wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:23 am
Reg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:54 am ...
The tty2oled program on the ESP got some enhancements to show text which is used by MiSTer_SAM.
If you don't enable tty support in MiSTer_SAM INI you should see the "normal" pictures and you don't need an ESP Update.
If you enable tty support in MiSTer_SAM you should see text, but you need the latest tty2oled program version on the ESP.

You can try "testing" as well as this version add the possiblity to install future version via Wireless.
Testing is available here: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... SB_Testing
If you like to try testing read the readme at Github and let me know if something is unclear.
Thank you Venice.

I have no explanation as to why - but this version installed and worked instantly with all problems of the screen not working simply gone ?

I cannot explain what happened - when I was pushing MiSTer_SSD1322_USB after the screen failed after it initally worked. Re-uploading the sketech to the Arduino still failed with that version, it uploaded but nothing displayed.

Moving to using the MiSTer_SSD1322_USB_Testing with zero changes apart from the different sketch, I did not modify anything - worked.

Thank you sir, thank you very much.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

venice wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:41 am Can I link to your list from the tty2oled Wiki?
If yes I get rid of my excel sheet ;) and the translation list.

Btw, in Arcade, some entries in the Name and XBM column need to be swapped.
Many Thx
Absolutely! My gift to you guys, please do whatever you want with it. I'm not a developer, and my graphical skills are very rusty, but I am a product manager by trade, so happy I can finally do something that helps the MiSTer project, even in a very small way. Only other thing I have been able to do is document NES Mapper support across the various FPGA systems, and special chip support on other consoles if that is of any interest to anyone and hasn't seen it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... KubpBqpVRM

I think that is all the Arcade name/xbm entries in the right place now, not sure how I managed to mess that up, thanks for flagging.

Outside of Arcades, you guys have most of the cores covered already. Things left:

Amstrad PCW - seems to have has slipped through the net
GBA and GBC 2 player cores - just released, maybe just a tweak to the current images
CHIP-8 - doesn't seem to have a logo, maybe just needs a Text based image
Flappy Bird - I am surprised no one has done this, that's a fun one!

Epoch Galaxy II - this is an LCD handheld that was released with different names in each region, but each has it's own logo/font: Astro Wars (UK) Super Galaxian (JP) Galaxy II (US)
galaxyii.jpg
643x0w.jpg
although interestingly in Japan it looks like they got the same Astro Wars branded unit inside their Super Galaxian box:
7eff30c44962eb0905e298d928ac96e0.jpg
Tomytronic Scramble - another LCD handheld that has a pretty cool logo that could work
maxresdefault.jpg
ADC Tape Input Tester - could have fun with a cassette image on here
Input Tester - new core, not sure what it all is used for, maybe just needs text image

That seems to be the lot for official cores. For unofficial, not actually that many unless I have missed some
There are versions of NES, Master System and Megadrive/Genesis that support 3D games with glasses
C6250 - doesn't seem to have a logo, maybe just text will do, hopefully be in main soon
Nand2Tetris - this is a series of education tutorials where you learn to code a computer, I imagine text logo would be fine for this
PC-88 - this one is currently being worked on to get it into Main, big core when it does
Mandlebrot Zoomer - not sure if you can recreate mandlebrot images on for an oled but might be fun to try
Spectrum ZX48 - another Spectrum that will likely be in Main at some point
Basilisk II - a Mac II emulator that runs on MiSTer
JT Memtest - JT made his own memtest to see if people's 128mb ram would work with his cores, I am struggling to find a link to it though

Anyone know if any other unofficial cores that I have missed from the sheet? Always keen to find more unofficial cores I don't know about.

So a few low hanging fruit there for the non arcades, and not many need made to get complete official coverage, and even unofficial coverage.
zinjin21

zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:26 am
Oh!!!!! I fix it!!!!
I use “normal” USB-Version.
I tested now. its great work~! good I’m happy. :lol: :lol:
I found problem.
If I leave the mister fpga on for a long time, it'll break again.
:o :oops:
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Reg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:49 am ...
Moving to using the MiSTer_SSD1322_USB_Testing with zero changes apart from the different sketch, I did not modify anything - worked.
What you saw was an "Command" send from the MiSTer_SAM Script which was not interpreted by your ESP Sketch because your Sketch was too old.
The ESP was showing the "Command" text like an unknown corename.

The "Text Command" functionality was added to the ESP at the 14th Jun.
See: viewtopic.php?p=27974#p27974

Did you add wireless credentials to the ESP Sketch?

Reg

Unread post by Reg »

venice wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:43 pm
Reg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:49 am ...
What you saw was an "Command" send from the MiSTer_SAM Script which was not interpreted by your ESP Sketch because your Sketch was too old.
The ESP was showing the "Command" text like an unknown corename.

The "Text Command" functionality was added to the ESP at the 14th Jun.
See: viewtopic.php?p=27974#p27974

Did you add wireless credentials to the ESP Sketch?
Yes, I added them into the cred.h when I compiled it.

Not tried anything with that yet - but they are there and ready and waiting. :)
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Reg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:44 pm Not tried anything with that yet - but they are there and ready and waiting. :)
The Wiki entry is already done.
See https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tty2oled/wiki/OTA

Reg

Unread post by Reg »

venice wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:18 pm
Reg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:44 pm Not tried anything with that yet - but they are there and ready and waiting. :)
The Wiki entry is already done.
See https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tty2oled/wiki/OTA
Works like a dream ! :)

Lovely addition.
OTA.jpeg
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:17 pm I found problem.
:o :oops:
Try testing from here
https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... SB_Testing
and let us know.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:17 pmI found problem.
Do you mean leaving on while playing without changing logo or leaving on with changing cores and therefore changing logos?
I'm asking becaue we discovered a hickup in transistion effect #6 which causes the ESP8266 to draw it's watchdog -> RESET. Fix is easy and will be commited the next hours.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

From today's update:
MiSTer News - From: Sorgelig
Linux:
- Add support for DualSense (PS5) controller.
- enable CH341 and PL2303 USB serial drivers.
- Update SSL certificate to latest.

Will CH341 driver support sort issues people have with CH340?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:48 pm MiSTer News - From: Sorgelig
- enable CH341 and PL2303 USB serial drivers.

Will CH341 driver support sort issues people have with CH340?
Not really. If somebody is using a CH341 based device with MiSTer until today and not using my CH341 patched homebrew kernel (already at Venice's git), the device isn't working by no chance. The device is getting it's power and that's all. No communication with MiSTer due to missing device driver (CH341).
This is fixed now by Sorgelig. I expanded my issue about CH341 on time to include another driver (PL2303 - who knows what surprising devices are coming to us).
I'm very sure that most or all issues are timing related - see my last post above. I spent some hours yesterday to create and watch a slideshow of our pictures, but all went fine with my NodeMCU v3 (ESP8266), with the exception of one very certain effect which that led to a crash/reset the 8266.
Should be no big problem to sort this out. All is good and will be better.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Another Testing in Testing available ;)
https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... SB_Testing
Read the Readme!

It contains a bugfix related to the diagonal effect causing the reset/blackout issue on ESP8266.
The "serial.flush" command was added to prevent "first Picture issue" on CH340 Boards.

If no new issues are found in the next days this will be the next release version :)

Please test if possible for you.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Moondandy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:48 pm From today's update:
MiSTer News - From: Sorgelig
Linux:
Thx for these Infos.

It's possible the tty2oled Init and Daemon Script needs to be reinstalled after the MiSTer's Linux Update!
Re-Run the Updater ;)

RealLarry
Top Contributor

I bought an USB measuring device which just arrived. Assuming that its measurement accuracy is accurate to this extent, the measured values are the following:
  • ESP8266 (NodeMCU v3/AZ Delivery) <=190mA
  • ESP32 (DevKitC v4/AZ Delivery) <=240mA
Measured with active display (naturally). Values are depending on Arduino's device settings (here: full throttle) and used transistion effect (here: random). So we can exclude an overdrawn current for the ESP devices generally. Good to know :)

EDIT: Used device is an "AT35" by Hangzhou Ruideng Technology Co., Ltd. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07THZFDGH
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

Can I just check on the picture count please with somebody ?

I thought we were over 300 done and I have just checked my tty2oledpics directory and only have 239, plus a folder caller PRI ?

Looks like I am missing a chunk of them or there are plenty of things I've not got installed !
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Reg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:09 am Can I just check on the picture count please with somebody ?

I thought we were over 300 done and I have just checked my tty2oledpics directory and only have 239, plus a folder caller PRI ?

Looks like I am missing a chunk of them or there are plenty of things I've not got installed !
No, you're right in counting. There are 238 "real pictures" + 1 checksum file and 84+1 "text pictures". You can use/download them by setting USE_TEXT_PICTURE="yes" in /media/fat(scripts/tty2oled.ini
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Update USB-Version
After many testings the new USB-Version is available

Updated Components:

tty2oled INI File
  • USB Mode is the new default Mode
ESP/Arduino Program
  • Bugfixes
  • Support of the new Display Rotation Option
  • Better Support of ESP8266
  • Support of the old "att" Command Mode which will be removed in a future update
tty2oled Daemon
  • Bugfixes
  • Using new Command Mode
    => Important, you need to Update your ESP <=
  • Support of the new Display Rotation Option
  • New Picture Subfolder /media/fat/tty2oledpics/pri
    This is your Private Picture Folder. If you like to add your personal MENU picture, add it here.
  • SD-Version is still supported

Note!
Get the New INI File and set you Options.
Now update your ESP.
Then use the updater with Option SCRIPT_UPDATE=„yes“ to get the new tty2oled Daemon Script.
After this you can set SCRIPT_UPDATE to „no“ if you like.

Report Problems here.

Reg

Unread post by Reg »

Reporting in that this worked like a dream - used the OTA update as I'd put the beta one on earlier.
Update.png
Like the little version control date... :) ...ideal to know we're on the latest and greatest.

.INI file updated manually.

As ever venice, thank you for all your hard work on this.
Mellified

Unread post by Mellified »

venice wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:11 pm ESP/Arduino Program
  • Bugfixes
I'll take a look at this and hopefully update MiSTer SAM this week.
jawler

Unread post by jawler »

A recently finished my new Mister Case and i had to rotate the oled screen. In arduino i uploaded the sketch with rotated option R2 and it worked perfect with Venice's help.

IMG_20210711_205020.jpg
IMG_20210711_110752.jpg
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Reg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:21 pm Reporting in that this worked like a dream - used the OTA update as I'd put the beta one on earlier.

.INI file updated manually.
Great.
Did you update the Daemon Script aus well?
Without the Daemon Update you use the "Old Command Mode" which will be removed in a future update.
jawler wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:49 am A recently finished my new Mister Case and i had to rotate the oled screen. In arduino i uploaded the sketch with rotated option R2 and it worked perfect with Venice's help.
Nice build.
It looks like a bigger Version of my Case. Can I use the Pictures for the Gallery?
With the new Version (new ESP Program & new Daemon) you have two possibilties to Rotate your Screen.
Use the new INI Option "ROTATE" and set is to "yes" or you modify the Display Parameter U8G2_R2 to U8G2_R0 in the ESP/Arduino Program.
The second Option shows everything rotated from start, the first one initializes the Display "normal" and the Daemon send the Command to rotate.
Using the INI Option you need to use the new INI File and the new Daemon Script.