tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

zinjin21 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:05 amthank you verymuch.
but… something wrong.
text out was good but menu and xmb has crrupt
To get a "feeling" about your environment, it's best to have a look at our mini FAQ at viewtopic.php?p=25890#p25890
Please read and check this carefully, then post your results. Maybe we are getting a better comprehension about your setup and problems then. Most of the time, specially when "it works but has hickups", the culprits are cabling (bad USB cable, solder points, connections ...).

venice wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:08 pmWe have no experience with an CH340 NodeMCU v3, so we need to test.
Which Arduino version do you run. USB or SD?
NoNo, Bro'! ;) You're missing that this NodeMCU v3 is the lil' ESP8266 based brother of the ESP32 ones I'm using primarily at my site (Remeber, "yield" is the answer!) 8-)
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
zinjin21

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by zinjin21 »

RealLarry wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:54 am
zinjin21 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:05 amthank you verymuch.
but… something wrong.
text out was good but menu and xmb has crrupt
To get a "feeling" about your environment, it's best to have a look at our mini FAQ at viewtopic.php?p=25890#p25890
Please read and check this carefully, then post your results. Maybe we are getting a better comprehension about your setup and problems then. Most of the time, specially when "it works but has hickups", the culprits are cabling (bad USB cable, solder points, connections ...).
Thank you~

I tested several things.
Tested yesterday and the results are
1. Not OLED Problem - It worked fine on NodeMCU CP2102.
2. Not PCB Problem - It was the same symptom when connected by line as in the case of NodeMCU CP2102.

I tested several times under the same conditions as NodeMCU CP2102.
just different NodeMCU Version. CP2102 is Good work.

I will try to connect another NodeMCU V3 tonight around 11pm (KST). Thanks!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

zinjin21 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:48 amI tested several times under the same conditions as NodeMCU CP2102.
just different NudeMCU Version. CP2102 is Good work.
Interesting. We (Venice and I) had a similar weired issue with two ESP32 DevKits - uploading a sketch worked, but very strange results when sending gfx to the device. Swapped to new ones and problems were gone.
Awaiting your report.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

If someone uses it, the actual "Testing" content has moved to https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... ee/testing

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

RealLarry wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:54 am NoNo, Bro'! ;) You're missing that this NodeMCU v3 is the lil' ESP8266 based brother of the ESP32 ones I'm using primarily at my site (Remeber, "yield" is the answer!) 8-)
//Edit
V3 = ESP8266, V4 = ESP32, noted :mrgreen:

RealLarry
Top Contributor

venice wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:48 am
RealLarry wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:54 am NoNo, Bro'! ;) You're missing that this NodeMCU v3 is the lil' ESP8266 based brother of the ESP32 ones I'm using primarily at my site (Remeber, "yield" is the answer!) 8-)
V3 = ESP8266, V4 = ESP32, noted :mrgreen:
Erm, no :) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/NodeMCU
What you have in mind might be the DevKit_C V4. I know, there so many misleading (brand) names and numbering schemes out there that I stumble across them often enough myself :roll:
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Moondandy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:21 pm Could software run on Linux like ScummVM get an image?
Here we go ;)

Photo-2021-07-08-10-35-06_7100.jpg
Photo-2021-07-08-10-34-42_7099.jpg

The next release, currently in testing, will include an control script which you can use to show/send pics or you use the "raw commands".
See https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... control.sh
and "new command mode" https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... mmand-mode

Or use RealLarry's easy Method

Code: Select all

echo "scummvm" > /tmp/CORENAME

The two attached pics are currently not in the XBM Repo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Many thanks for clarifying and explaining how to do these for software like ScummVM, that seems like something that would be good to add to the wiki explaining editing the script. That Scumm image looks ace btw!

I have updated the sheet I made with image names, and can make a start on arcade images.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... NAnj0a4RCU
With arcades being split out between images and "text-based", are the text ones considered placeholder until someone does an image, then the text one will be updated?

Does the official update script or update_all run the tty2oled update script or are people running it separate?
zinjin21

RealLarry wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:15 am
zinjin21 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:48 amI tested several times under the same conditions as NodeMCU CP2102.
just different NudeMCU Version. CP2102 is Good work.
Interesting. We (Venice and I) had a similar weired issue with two ESP32 DevKits - uploading a sketch worked, but very strange results when sending gfx to the device. Swapped to new ones and problems were gone.
Awaiting your report.
I came home to test with another new NodeMCU V3.
The symptoms are the same.
I tried 9600 baudrate, but it still comes out weird.

sad…
EA466919-5844-469B-9707-F2BD24B65A0B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

zinjin21 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:05 pmI came home to test with another new NodeMCU V3.
The symptoms are the same.
I tried 9600 baudrate, but it still comes out weird.
Weird...sad to hear. But don't give up! I can't remember of anybody we couldn't help.
And please, as I said before, follow our lil' FAQ and report the details: viewtopic.php?p=25890#p25890
It's very difficult for us to handle a device we cannot take into our own hands. Korea is really too far away to come around for a personally "hello" ;)
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

zinjin21 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:05 pm I tried 9600 baudrate, but it still comes out weird.
The Text "MiSTer FPGA by Sorgelig" is written by the MCU directly to the Display at Power On.
Means this has nothing to do with the MiSTer or the USB Data connection.

And as RealLarry wrote, we need more Infos!

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Moondandy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:46 pm I have updated the sheet I made with image names, and can make a start on arcade images.
With arcades being split out between images and "text-based", are the text ones considered placeholder until someone does an image, then the text one will be updated?
Yes, the text based Pics are just placeholder and will be removed if an GFX Picture is added.
Moondandy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:46 pm Does the official update script or update_all run the tty2oled update script or are people running it separate?
Actually the tty2oled update needs to be started separatly.

zinjin21

RealLarry wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:24 pm Korea is really too far away to come around for a personally "hello" ;)
I'm glad to know you guys, venice and RealLarry.
It may take a long time, but I'll keep looking for the cause of this problem.
Thank you so much for helping me!
zinjin21

venice wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:07 pm
zinjin21 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:05 pm I tried 9600 baudrate, but it still comes out weird.
The Text "MiSTer FPGA by Sorgelig" is written by the MCU directly to the Display at Power On.
Means this has nothing to do with the MiSTer or the USB Data connection.

And as RealLarry wrote, we need more Infos!
My explanation was lacking.
The situation is an animation situation in which MENU is called after Mister FPGA is powered on.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

zinjin21 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:03 am
My explanation was lacking.
The situation is an animation situation in which MENU is called after Mister FPGA is powered on.
I was wondering as your „bye“ test was working.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

zinjin21 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:33 pm ...
Is that yours?
I found this one at the bottom of my MCU Box.
IMG_7118.jpg
IMG_7116.jpg
If yes, I got it running at my end with the Arduino setting NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module)
but not stable, pictures are shown with artefacts and the systems reboots automatically or blackout the screen.
I will do some tests as well. But It's looks to me it's not the baudrate.

zinjin21

venice wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:35 am
zinjin21 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:33 pm ...
Is that yours?
I found this one at the bottom of my MCU Box.
IMG_7118.jpg
IMG_7116.jpg

If yes, I got it running at my end with the Arduino setting NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module)
but not stable, pictures are shown with artefacts and the systems reboots automatically or blackout the screen.
I will do some tests as well. But It's looks to me it's not the baudrate.
yes same thing.

see my video. so weird.

https://youtu.be/Qo0NiD3kfV4

I excuted "screen /dev/ttyUSB0" to see "Serial.print()".
If you excute "screen /dev/ttyUSB0" first before usb connection, it becomes normal.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hey guys, I have updated the sheet to include a tab for all the arcade cores and if there are images of text. I've also included JT's cores and any other WIP or unofficial ones I am aware of, as well as some that people (mostly JT) have announced they are working on. Hopefully of use to people who are into making up images, or even to know which don't even have a text one yet. I might try my hand at some myself soon, although my graphics skills are very rusty.

Some fun ones and big hitters in there that haven't been done yet. Let me know if anyone sees anything wrong, or some other formatting or fields would make it more useful. Again, if anyone wants edit access please just let me know - more than happy for this to be a community doc, or the basis of one, if it is useful.

Venice - would it be technically possible to have your update script run as part of the update_all script (probably auto set to off so people who don't want them don't get them all downloaded)? I assume since it downloads game logos there could be copyright issues having it in the official update script, but maybe that is not an issue.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Moondandy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:28 pm Hey guys, I have updated the sheet to include a tab for all the arcade cores and if there are images of text.
Have requested access via PM.
Moondandy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:28 pm ...I assume since it downloads game logos there could be copyright issues having it in the official update script...
Maybe someone has more experience with copyright.

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Done!

I can dig into the copyright issue and see what thoughts are, ideally if it was run from the main updater script that would be best, but if not the unofficial update_all is still a great place to have it run from.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

zinjin21 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:40 pm ...
see my video. so weird.
If you excute "screen /dev/ttyUSB0" first before usb connection, it becomes normal.
Yes, weird.

What you see in "screen" are debug responses from the ESP enabled by uncommenting

//#define XDEBUG
in the Arduino Code.

I made some changes and got it working with the ESP8266 (with CH340) so far.
Try "MiSTer_SSD1322_USB_Testing" from https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... ee/testing with all your boards please.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:28 pmVenice - would it be technically possible to have your update script run as part of the update_all script (probably auto set to off so people who don't want them don't get them all downloaded)? I assume since it downloads game logos there could be copyright issues having it in the official update script, but maybe that is not an issue.
I'm answering as I'm one of Venice's contributors... Technically yes for sure. Our (my) intention is to knock at @theypsilon 's door when we think that most of the work at tty2oled is done/finished/stable. In principle very soon.
It would be interesting to know how many setups of tty2oled are running so far...
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Great stuff, that's good to know!

It's such a great wee project that I don't think too many MiSTer users are even fully aware of, I wasn't until recently. It definitely deserves some more exposure.

Also, give me a shout if you want edit access to the sheet I knocked up.
zinjin21

venice wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:29 pm
zinjin21 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:40 pm ...
see my video. so weird.
Yes, weird.

What you see in "screen" are debug responses from the ESP enabled by uncommenting

//#define XDEBUG
in the Arduino Code.

I made some changes and got it working with the ESP8266 (with CH340) so far.
Try "MiSTer_SSD1322_USB_Testing" from https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... ee/testing with all your boards please.
Oh!!!!! I fix it!!!!

I do not know why.
Serial is receiving strange data. so i called Serial.flush() once and it fixed it!
화면 캡처 2021-07-10 112448.jpg
AC140A01-9591-468E-B1EA-573BA041A941.jpeg
RealLarry
Top Contributor

zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:27 amOh!!!!! I fix it!!!!
I do not know why.
Serial is receiving strange data. so i called Serial.flush() once and it fixed it!
Good boy! Glad that you got it woeking now.
But damned, I inserted this line of code in march '21 and removed it again after I've fixed my graphics problems by resoldering a bad solder joint at displays header :roll:
Could your please try to set Serial.flush() a few lines earlier? ie from line #227

// Init Serial
  //Serial.begin(57600);                       // 57600 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  Serial.begin(115200);                      // 115200 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  //Serial.begin(921600);                     // 921600 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  Serial.flush();
and retest your setup? If all goes well we'll commit this to the codebase.
zinjin21

RealLarry wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:37 am
I do not know why.
But damned, I inserted this line of code in march '21 and removed it again after I've fixed my graphics problems by resoldering a bad solder joint at displays header :roll:
Could your please try to set Serial.flush() a few lines earlier? ie from line #227

// Init Serial
  //Serial.begin(57600);                       // 57600 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  Serial.begin(115200);                      // 115200 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  //Serial.begin(921600);                     // 921600 for MiSTer ttyUSBx Device CP2102 Chip on ESP32
  Serial.flush();
Good. It's still good work. Thank you.
I tested on NodeMCU V3 and NodeMCU CP2102.

My guess is that the driver sends something to Serial when it is connected via USB.
It's just a guess.
화면 캡처 2021-07-10 135219.jpg
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:02 pmIt's such a great wee project that I don't think too many MiSTer users are even fully aware of, I wasn't until recently. It definitely deserves some more exposure.
Same to me. Found this project in january? february? and thought "Nice, but why?". While playing with Arduino/ESPs in march I gave it a try just for fun, was very pleased and fixed a bug in his code. This marked the beginning of a great collaboration.
And if you want to give Venice a big thank you, just send him a postcard: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... i/Cardware

Also, give me a shout if you want edit access to the sheet I knocked up.
Will do this the next minutes as I've commited some pics for Jotego's cores...
RealLarry
Top Contributor

zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:52 am
RealLarry wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:37 am
I do not know why.

// Init Serial
  Serial.flush();
Good. It's still good work. Thank you.
Aah, great! Thanks for reporting this! We'll fix this today. Keep having fun with it! And stay tuned, because there will be more and beautiful things to discover soon ;)
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

zinjin21 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:27 am ..
Oh!!!!! I fix it!!!!
Great :)
Did you use "testing" or the "normal" USB-Version?

Could you try a longer run using MiSTer_SAM if you like to see how stable it works?
SAM = https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_SAM
Don't enable the tty support in SAM, just run it.

I will add your fix to my actual "testing" and run a few tests.
The SD Version got the new line as well.

Cheers :mrgreen:

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Moondandy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:29 pm ..
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Might be of use to people into making the images to see what is currently missing. I need to finish reading through all the wikis for the project and get my head around how it works for arcade cores, but can add those to the list later on.

If this is useful and anyone wants edit access to the file just let me know.
Can I link to your list from the tty2oled Wiki?
If yes I get rid of my excel sheet ;) and the translation list.

Btw, in Arcade, some entries in the Name and XBM column need to be swapped.
Many Thx

..a nice weekend @all