tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
venice
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by venice »

Yes, you need to update your ESP.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

jawler

Re: tty2oled Software Add-On with USB/SD Support (Show Text/Pictures based on loaded Core on Display)

Unread post by jawler »

That's it! i updated my ESP and all works like charm!
Thank you.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

I figured out what was going on with me getting the message that I had to delete my .ini file when running the update script. It was because I wasn't connected to the internet. For some reason (maybe related to the linux updates, may be something my end) in the last week my Mister is being slower to connect over my wired internet connection that is was previously. So if I boot up and go run a script straight away then it is generally failing to connect the first time.

I am not sure if it is possible to have an "unable to connect" message instead in this scenario, as being told to delete the .ini file is a weird message to get in this situation.
stefer09

Unread post by stefer09 »

Ok so since the linux update from the other day, i did have to re-run the tty2oled update script to get the service running again (it happened once before after a big update so no big deal...) but I noticed that the service doesn't start by itself anymore, I have to run the update script everytime or else it doesn't start...
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

stefer09 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:21 am Ok so since the linux update from the other day, i did have to re-run the tty2oled update script to get the service running again (it happened once before after a big update so no big deal...) but I noticed that the service doesn't start by itself anymore, I have to run the update script everytime or else it doesn't start...
This is caused by the new Kernel and Linux setup: The Kernel/System is now initialising the Init scripts faster before the corresponding USB device is setup.
Please be patient. This is fixed in our testing branch and will be released "the next days".
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

RealLarry wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:20 am This is caused by the new Kernel and Linux setup: The Kernel/System is now initialising the Init scripts faster before the corresponding USB device is setup.
Please be patient. This is fixed in our testing branch and will be released "the next days".
It's released :D

With the next run of your tty2oled Updater you get new Scripts and a new Version of the INI-File with more active defaults.
Make sure you set

Code: Select all

SCRIPT_UPDATE="yes" 
in your INI file before you run the Updater.

The only Requirement is that you need to run the MiSter Release 2021-08-31 or newer (if available).

We updated the startup procedure to make it more resistant against MiSTer Updates.
We use now the new MiSTer-User-Autostart-Script-Mechanism by linking our startup script to

/media/fat/linux/user-startup.sh
instead of using our own init file which was deleted by each MiSTer Update.

We also moved all tty2oled related files on the MiSTer (Scripts/Pictures/INI), except the Update Script, together into the folder

/media/fat/tty2oled/
Here is an list of all used files and folders: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... Repository

warham

Unread post by warham »

is there anyone in the US selling these? i would like to buy one and integrate into a case
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Build your own. It‘s not hard to do.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Hi tty2oled User‘s,
I am interested to know how many unknown builds are running.

Please drop a picture if you like.
And if you are able to help other users to build an tty2oled leave a note of your location with your posting.

Many Thanks 8-)

Moondandy
Top Contributor

With the new Sega System E games being played as part of the Master System core (which now has System E support) does this mean they won't be able to have individual pictures and will display Master System instead?
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Yes, I think so.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:39 pm With the new Sega System E games being played as part of the Master System core (which now has System E support) does this mean they won't be able to have individual pictures and will display Master System instead?
As venice already stated, I'm sure too, that the display will be staying at Master System. The problem hereby is that when you start the core, the MiSTer system informs us that core X has been started. As long as you don't start another MiSTer core - ie NeoGeo - no internal system message inform us about what you're playin' in detail.
This is changeable indeed, but that falls within Sorgelig's scope. Maybe you want to open an issue about your "wish" at his github page.
mrchrister

Unread post by mrchrister »

Hey guys,

I need some help since I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Originally I ordered a SSD1322 and a Scheme Devkit V4. FIrst thing I did was create the solder bridge for 4SPI.
I never got the display to show anything, it always stayed dark. After hours of rechecking my solder joint and checking Arduino, I gave up. I assumed I had a faulty Devkit v4 or dsiplay.
I ordered a new display - same problem
I ordered a Lolin32 and tried it with the new display - same problem

I'm pretty frustrated and really not sure what I'm doing wrong. At this point I wish I would have seen at least a flicker on the display. Instructions are pretty straight forward. I traced all wires and they connect. For both I used WEMOS LOLIN32 in Arduino
What else can I try at this point?

(Sorry for the crappy photos)

IMG-20210914-191816.jpg
IMG-20210914-204554.jpg
IMG-20210914-204632.jpg
IMG-20210914-204646.jpg
IMG-20210914-204713.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

mrchrister wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:14 amI'm pretty frustrated and really not sure what I'm doing wrong. At this point I wish I would have seen at least a flicker on the display. Instructions are pretty straight forward. I traced all wires and they connect. For both I used WEMOS LOLIN32 in Arduino
What else can I try at this point?
Your connection scheme looks correct. Are the jumper cables soldered on Wemos side or just "sticked"? What's that ugly blob of tin-solder on displays side? Looks like a connection of stanniol to GND. Beg for pardon for my harsh answer, but clean up that mess first and retry. I'm sure that you know that only one micro mistake in electronics may break the complete circuit.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

mrchrister wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:14 am Hey guys,
I need some help since I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Is the ESP Working? Did you tried some Examples?
I agree with RealLarry.
Maybe an PCB will be the best for you.

And I sent you an PM.

stefer09

Unread post by stefer09 »

venice wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:21 pm

It's released :D

With the next run of your tty2oled Updater you get new Scripts and a new Version of the INI-File with more active defaults.
Make sure you set

SCRIPT_UPDATE="yes" 
in your INI file before you run the Updater.

The only Requirement is that you need to run the MiSter Release 2021-08-31 or newer (if available).

EDIT : ok good! I didn't get antything on my display but a cold reboot fixed it and now it looks like it's working good! Thanks!
GromRGB

Unread post by GromRGB »

Hi,

I have too a problem with 2.8''OLED version 1.0. It works only if pins 7-13 are not at ground.
I have 0.15A with a black screen when pins 7-13 are connected to ground (0.1A when it works).

After some other tests:
The pin 10 to ground makes the display silly.
The pin 13 to ground makes screen black (with over consumption).

Where I can find the datasheet of this board (not only the screen) ? Thanks

Regards
RealLarry
Top Contributor

GromRGB wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:12 pmI have too a problem with 2.8''OLED version 1.0. [...]
Where I can find the datasheet of this board (not only the screen) ?
We're not the manufacturer nor the vendor of your display, so unfortunately we don't know either. And without any further information - ie. photos, part numbers etc - we can't help in any way. It's like "I have a car with four wheels and a strange sound is coming out of the car. What can it be?".

Start with asking your vendor. Continue with asking a search engine and compare the results with your display. If the display isn't coming from another galaxy I'm very sure that there's an existing datasheet.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

I have a datasheet from the ssd1322 controller but nothing about the complete display.
Does this help?

And yes, some photos will be helpful.

d.ti

Unread post by d.ti »

@GromRGB:

As RealLarry and venice already said please post some pictures.

Additionally please find the schematic for the 3.12" Display (2.8" should be the same / designators can vary) below:

OLED-31-SPI-33-V-WHI-006.jpg

Are you sure the display is configured for 4-SPI mode? :

Connection_Scheme_TTGO-SSD1322.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Find my projects on Github: https://github.com/dtimber/
GromRGB

Unread post by GromRGB »

Thanks,

I have this one :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33012440 ... 6c37WtB8sI

I found that pins 7-13 are for data (for the other modes).
I probably have a defective product (pins 10 and 13) but it works in 4spi mode with pins 7-13 not connected.

Regards
RealLarry
Top Contributor

GromRGB wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:12 pmI have too a problem with 2.8''OLED version 1.0. It works only if pins 7-13 are not at ground.
From the look of the 2.8" pcb I'd say that it's the same as for 3.12" verision, but I haven't found any specific documentation (for the 2.8") yet.
aitexm.jpg

You're saying that the display works when not grounding pins 7-13. That's okay and what I had figured out at the beginning. According to the doc (of the 3.12") grounding pins 7-13 is a recommedation but not a must. I'd advice you just to continue with your project without any further doubt.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Just a note...

I have a few 2.8" and 3.12" SSD1322 based OLED Display's and all of them working with "grounded" Pin's in 4SPI Mode.
mcu.png

terminator2k2

Unread post by terminator2k2 »

such a nice project this, going to see if i have room for the 2.8" display on my case
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Or use an external Set-Top Display :)
See https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... ki/Gallery

Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Has anybody put any thought into adapting the TTY2OLED into the RMC AOI board's front card slot? I've got one on preorder and should probably actually start building a TTY2OLED. It would look super good in the front expansion bay there.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Does the AIO has an free internal USB Port available for connecting the tty2oled?

Maybe better to use an external tty2oled to keep the card slot free for other add-ons.

Moondandy
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:36 pm
Moondandy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:39 pm With the new Sega System E games being played as part of the Master System core (which now has System E support) does this mean they won't be able to have individual pictures and will display Master System instead?
As venice already stated, I'm sure too, that the display will be staying at Master System. The problem hereby is that when you start the core, the MiSTer system informs us that core X has been started. As long as you don't start another MiSTer core - ie NeoGeo - no internal system message inform us about what you're playin' in detail.
This is changeable indeed, but that falls within Sorgelig's scope. Maybe you want to open an issue about your "wish" at his github page.
Hi guys, been busy moving recently so wasn't able to do this before, but have raised an issue so Sorg is aware of it. Does what I have written make sense?
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/469

It might be worth making up some images for the Sega System E games so that they are there to test if Sorg does want to add this feature in.

I noticed on the sheet there are now rows for "mono" and "grey" images, can anyone explain what this means in practice?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:41 pmHi guys, been busy moving recently so wasn't able to do this before, but have raised an issue so Sorg is aware of it. Does what I have written make sense?
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/469

It might be worth making up some images for the Sega System E games so that they are there to test if Sorg does want to add this feature in.
Well done. We'll see Sorgelig decision...

I noticed on the sheet there are now rows for "mono" and "grey" images, can anyone explain what this means in practice?
That row was inserted by me. Well care taken. But no, I'm not going to explain anything at this time. Lips are sealed. Please be patient for a few more days - there's something greatful coming up!!
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hah, nice one! Looking forward to hearing about this.

I added some counters to the bottom of each table which may be useful to you guys to see what you have all done, what is outstanding. If there are any other counter or anything that would be helpful let me know and I can add (or obviously anyone who has edit access can add what they would like).