Neo Geo MVSX

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Xzarian

Neo Geo MVSX

Unread post by Xzarian »

I recently picked up one of these with the riser

It's basically the same size as a standard arcade1up.

I did a tear down and pictures are here

I have a spare de-10 nano I'm going to use with this build.

Does anyone know if the power can be wired to a power bar to place inside the cab? Or should I just get one of these? There is a power switch and usb port on the pcb so it would be great if I could use it, I just don't know much about wiring a powersupply.

I'd also like to somehow make use of the volume knob, but might not be possible. It looks like there is a 2pin connector going from the knob to the control deck board.

There are also two lcd displays on the control deck like the original mvs and I'm guessing not much I can do with those. It's used right now to display game selected. ie, 01 out of 99

I do have the hylostick x hack installed which is great but the team was shutdown recently by unico.
"MiSTer is not a garbage can with random functions used by 1-2 people."
-Sorgelig
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Neo Geo MVSX

Unread post by Newsdee »

I recently got the Arcade1up for Street Fighter 2, and while I'm not in a rush to mod it for MiSTer, it is definitely something I will do down the line... especially after the CPS2 core drops.

It looks like the MVSX is extremely similar, maybe a little higher end with stereo speakers and those extra lcds.

Is that USB port on the power supply PCB wired to power, or is it just a passthrough? If it is powered, you would need to check how many amps it could provide, although probably enough to power at least a DE10.

But if it is a simple passthrough, then you could plug it to a separate 5V USB power supply.

Personally I want to avoid changing the arcade1up control panel, and reuse the power and volume switches. For power, I found a relay that could allow me to cut the 12V power if the 5V is off, so I could have the MiSTer and screen turn on at the same time from a single switch.

I don't have yet found how to handle the sound. Perhaps a simple on/off switch is enough, but would be nice to have a 1/2 volume option like the stock A1up. Not sure how much can be done about that with discrete components, though.

Last piece of the puzzle would be how to rewire the controls. If I want the mod to be reversible, I'd have to use a breakout board for the 40 pin connector. A custom PCB would be nice (wiring to arduinos as USB adapters or maybe just DB15 neogeo style connecttors). But each Arcade1up is different so that would mean a custom PCB for each model.
fluxrez

Unread post by fluxrez »

Hi Xzarian,

Did you end up putting the MisTer in your MVSX? I would love to do the same and am wondering if you could share your solutions. What LCD controller did you use? How did you manage power. How did you hookup sound? How did you hookup the controls. Did you run into any issues? Or need to buy anything else for a clean solution? Thank you.
Maskman

Unread post by Maskman »

Hi,

This is a very interesting project.
Any news about it ?

:)
theanalogkid

Unread post by theanalogkid »

Hey Xzarian, thanks for all of the detailed teardown photos of your MVSX. Did you ever attempt to mod your cabinet with a MiSTer? Ideally, I would like to see someone create a 19" monitor bezel for the MVSX so that I could upgrade the screen while at the same time installing a MiSTer, audio amp, small subwoofer solution, volume attenuator knob, Suzo Happ coin door, and headphone jack with bypass. Did you attempt any further modifications that you wouldn't mind sharing?