My Custom MiSTer FPGA Case (with Beer)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
callanabrown

My Custom MiSTer FPGA Case (with Beer)

Unread post by callanabrown »

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I made a video about my MiSTer case, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKMlr-ZOZ6M

This is a one-off for myself featuring the things I wanted in a case and a few dumb features for fun. I made a bunch of SD cards that each have one console (or computer or arcade game) only, so booting up the system I want is quick and has the settings I want. An mt32-pi is integrated and the display is up on top. It also has a RAM cartridge and beer holder just for fun.

The result is a sleek machine measuring only about 12x13x3" plus the RAM cartridge that I think looks pretty spiffy sitting on my desk.
Hackshed_Carl

Re: My Custom MiSTer FPGA Case (with Beer)

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

I really like it!!

I love the all-in-one aspect which captures the feel of the older computers.
I thought the large printed SD cards and RAM cart were a nice little touch, not particularly useful but a nice aesthetic regardless.

This is the beauty of the platform, you can customize it for exactly your needs. Some people will disagree with some of your choices but that's fine, they can do their own thing :)

The one thing I'd mention (and maybe you've fixed it since) is that the FPGA chip really should have at least a heatsink as a minimum and preferably a fan too.

Other than that, great work. Really nice case
callanabrown

Unread post by callanabrown »

Thanks! Yes I knew somebody would eventually mention cooling. I have heatsinks on the way from AliExpress and I admit I was just too lazy to mod the top case for fan supports. It does have a vent just waiting for it. I will definitely add cooling next time I print that rear housing.
zorrobandito

Unread post by zorrobandito »

That looks great! I hadn't seen an Apple IIC before but the small form factor works really well as the inspiration for your case.