AIYIMA DAC-A2 + MiSTer FPGA, How to play sound?

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
pbsk8

AIYIMA DAC-A2 + MiSTer FPGA, How to play sound?

Unread post by pbsk8 »

So, I just got a AIYIMA DAC-A2 and it doesn't play sound from mister fpga at all.

I connected the red and white cables on this dac and the 3.5mm jack on mister IO board, but no sound.

If I connect the headphone directly on mister io board I have sound. So the mister io board is fine.

So what am I missing to make this dac to work with it after all?

On pc it works only if I connect the pc-usb cable, if I use my essenger red and white cable on sound output, it doesn't work.

And yes, the cable is working because I connected it directly from mister io board and on my 32'' tv rear panel on red and white slots.
zakk4223

Re: AIYIMA DAC-A2 + MiSTer FPGA, How to play sound?

Unread post by zakk4223 »

I'm a bit confused by your post, are you connecting the red/white jacks to the dac, and the other end of that cable is connected to the mister?
KSzy

Unread post by KSzy »

The R/W jacks on the DAC seem to be for output only, so the only way to get audio from the mister would be mini-tolink to toslink if you have an I/O board for you DE-10, then it would put audio through the DAC.

[Toslink to Mini-Toslink cable]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8HWUVS/

This is the DAC I'm currently using myself connected to 2 speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L61JPQW/
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

zakk4223 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:10 pm I'm a bit confused by your post, are you connecting the red/white jacks to the dac, and the other end of that cable is connected to the mister?
Exactly! The 3.5mm into the mister io board and the red/white essager cable to the dac

Isn't this the correct way?
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

pbsk8 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:37 am
zakk4223 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:10 pm I'm a bit confused by your post, are you connecting the red/white jacks to the dac, and the other end of that cable is connected to the mister?
Exactly! The 3.5mm into the mister io board and the red/white essager cable to the dac

The red/white plugs on the DAC are _outputs_. The DAC is supposed to take digital audio (from either the coax, optical or pc-usb inputs) and output it either via the red/white jacks or the headphone jack on the front. If you want to use the mister with that DAC you need to use a mini-toslink to toslink audio cable and go from the mister's 3.5mm port to the optical in port on the DAC.
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

And forgot to say the headphone is connected to the dac (the plugin front of the device), and then I realize there is no audio.

So in my case I really have to buy this mini-toslink cable to connect it to the mister io board and then to the optical in the rear part of the dac?
pbsk8

Re: AIYIMA DAC-A2 + mister fpga, how to play sound???

Unread post by pbsk8 »

zakk4223 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 am
pbsk8 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:37 am

The red/white plugs on the DAC are _outputs_. The DAC is supposed to take digital audio (from either the coax, optical or pc-usb inputs) and output it either via the red/white jacks or the headphone jack on the front. If you want to use the mister with that DAC you need to use a mini-toslink to toslink audio cable and go from the mister's 3.5mm port to the optical in port on the DAC.
I see. I didn't know about that part. I thought the red/white connect directly to mister would work.

in this case, what brand of this mini-toslink to toslink audio cable do you recommend? I am gonna search on ali express.
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

Amazon.de has one for less than 2€ shipped (with prime). I use it with a 3€ DAC from aliexpress.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07TJJ57NB/

I am sure you can find similar cheap cables locally on ebay or amazon.