What amp fuse in the plug should I use?

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Fuzzball

What amp fuse in the plug should I use?

Unread post by Fuzzball »

This is probably the most stupid question asked in these forums ;) Please bear with me. I've never built a device before. I'm still waiting for my DE10 to arrive but have all the other parts. I even bought a Mean Well 5V 4A power supply even though I know the DE10 comes with one as I'll be using a MT32-Pi hat and an external usb drive so wanted a few extra amps for peace of mind and also a uk plug rather than having to use an adapter.

I didn't realize the power supply doesn't come with a plug lead. I went for the 2 pin one. I have a few of those cables lying around but here is the silly question. What amp fuse should be in the plug?

I know nothing about electronics and you can probably tell I'm probably biting off more than I can chew building a Mister ;)
wodmarach

Re: What amp fuse in the plug should I use?

Unread post by wodmarach »

Technically a 5A but who actually bothers with less than a 13A in a plug these days? Your breaker board probably out reacts the fuse, unless ofc you plan on dropping it in water?
Fuzzball

Unread post by Fuzzball »

So I can use any fuse? Sorry you lost me at the breaker board bit lol. I don't know why I've never bothered understanding all this stuff over the years. I guess I've just been lazy and always used the plug that came with every device in my house. I did once blow up my boiler when I was renting many moons ago when I changed the fuse in the plug and must have done something wrong.
yxkalle

Unread post by yxkalle »

It's 20W (4A x 5V).
20W / 240V + 10% = ~0.092 Amperes.

The ideal fuse would be a 1 amp one, but 3A will work too, in a pinch.
Blitzwing

Unread post by Blitzwing »

Fuzzball wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:24 pm So I can use any fuse? Sorry you lost me at the breaker board bit lol. I don't know why I've never bothered understanding all this stuff over the years. I guess I've just been lazy and always used the plug that came with every device in my house. I did once blow up my boiler when I was renting many moons ago when I changed the fuse in the plug and must have done something wrong.
Yea see if you can get a one amp one, use that.

The problem with just sticking in a 13amp is that in a dead short scenario you'd have to be pulling way more than 3kw to blow it which will never happen with a MiSTer setup so it'd just sit there happily frying the De10-nano or the power supply etc long before it would ever blow the fuse.

The distribution board (the one with all the switches that trip when something goes wrong in your house/flat) are normally 32A rated on the ring mains for the plug sockets so that is even less likely to trip... Yea 1A for the plug ;)