Considerations for a custom case?? Where to buy??

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
hitm4n

Considerations for a custom case?? Where to buy??

Unread post by hitm4n »

Lets start with the case. I'm considering a case like this one... Cheap and moddable. 248 x 209 x 81 mm - Looks pretty enough and i think the right size?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002584251622.html

I will probably spray the coloured half orange and might replace the front plate with a 3d printed one (definately will if i butcher the original one :) )

I've seen so many neat cases and projects, lots of custom parts are used to wire it all up internally. But i've seen little about where to get all these parts from, or what are the must have (required) parts to do this. As i have very little electronics experience, and my soldering skills are limited too (i can do a bit), i need this to be as plug and play as possible.

First, where are you guys finding these nifty 3 coloured buttons for the IO board, and are they simple to connect up? ref: download/file.php?id=2552

How much is involved in one of the TTY2OLED displays, does anyone sell pre-made plug and play versions i can connect and mount. What sizes of display are possible, what colours? Or are they all mono (which is fine). Mounting it and setting it up shouldn't be a problem, but if i have to wire up a board and solder components in, its probably not for me.

I have an official 8 port USB board at the bottom of the stack currently. Ultimately i would like a wireless mouse and keyboard (still trying to find the perfect ones), my 8bitdo controller dongle and a wifi dongle plugged in. I do have a wireless keyboard with trackpad built in, which uses a third dongle, but i need to replace this, the trackpad is no mouse substitute, especially in games. If i can find a mouse and keyboard that use a single dongle, then thats still only 3 ports needed. So i guess i would wire 4 into the front of the box. What USB extensions are regarded as good, and easy to fit...?

Can the SD Card ports be extended to the front of the case? I'm not sure i've seen this done.

Should i mount the mister board into the lid to allow some vertical fan venting? Or is the space inside and the vents either side plenty? I have a heatsink and fan currently, the cheaper ones, not Noctua.

I think i would like to mount the PSU inside, and have a power switch on the front. Even a pluggable power supply wire, the figure 8 type maybe. The only wires i have coming off my Mister are the power in and HDMI out. Again, where is a nice lightup aluminium looking power switch that can just be retro fitted into a case? Maybe one that matches the 3 smaller ones referenced above.

Lots of questions, and maybe more will rise as i continue to think about this case and how to put it all together.

I basically have the MiSter, i need to get me that OLED, its a must have item, and i want as much as possible accessible on the front panel.
So, you guys who have been through the pain already of sourcing the parts and figuring out all the bits you needed (even those you didn't know you needed till you started building). Impart your wisdom :) Cheers.
hitm4n

Re: Considerations for a custom case?? Where to buy??

Unread post by hitm4n »

Theres this case too... The metal one is much prettier...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012518778.html
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

hitm4n wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:10 pm First, where are you guys finding these nifty 3 coloured buttons for the IO board, and are they simple to connect up? ref: download/file.php?id=2552
Hey that's my case ! :)

On a note for your case - do you have the tools to cut - the right tools for the job are key in making custom devices look ok.

With regards to the buttons. The seller on eBay is gone, but the description for the ones I brought was in my buying history.

3V 5V 9V 12V 24V 110V 220V Push Metal Button Switch Momentary/Latching 12mm LED.

You want the 3V Momentary ones.

If you can do basic soldering these are easy to setup.

I literally copied what I saw here for the wiring.
Buttons.jpeg
This is the setup for the TTY2OLED.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1887

The best advice I can say, is take your time, don't rush it and if you have access to a 3D printer for custom parts that is also a good solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Great stuff. I've ordered these, i'm not messing about :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203207597907

Got Red, Green, Blue, and White coming. 4 for price of 2, so all in at £9.24. Even if i don't use the 4th one, its a decent deal i think.
I don't have good tools, but i am prepared to buy a dremel, i have drills. I have other planned projects coming up, and i have a mate with a 3d printer i can go to if i need to customise some supports or panels.

So... It begins. I've committed myself now by buying the switches :) Ok, i'm going to buy the case i listed above, the metal one, from Ali, just want everything to be as compact as possible, so need to figure out the best size to get.

Also, will order a 12" nework port mountable link today, thats an easy part to get.
I think i'll try to mockup the design i'm gonna go for...

Recommendations on the power switch next, that matches the 3 lights/switches i've just got, with the power logo on it and light up. Something a bit bigger than these 3. Whats the power rating i need for it? And obviously NOT momentary for this one, a proper switch...
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

BTW Reg, thankyou for quick response. Your setup is actually very close to my vision i think, i'm wondering if i should sit the boards side by side or leave them stacked...
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

The power switch here is a momentum one in my build. I brought this...

POLOLU-2809 Robot.access: electronic power switch Colour: green 4A 4.5-40V POLOL

...from eBay.
IMG_E9223.JPG
That little board is between the PSU and the MiSTer. I split the out + and - cables to the MiSTer and the case power LED, one in - two out.

With the case power switch attached, the momentum button simply turns it on or off.

The two pins that are cut are because I soldered it onto the wrong side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

I assume you needed that board because it was a momentum switch and you needed something in between acting as an actual switch? I see other solutions where the psu is wired via a normal switchy switch and then to the power socket on de10 (and usb board via splitter). A proper switch doesn't need that extra board then i think? I reckon this must be a simpler and more elegant solution and should save me a tenner.

Why did you go the route of using that board? (i am not questioning your decision per se, just want to understand why and understand if theres good reason or benefit to it.)

Ta.
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Very rough mockup. A neat layout, utilising that 4th switch (no idea how - lol).
Back panel would have HDMI, Network, Power in and possibly 1 more pair of USBs, or just the one USB3.0 port from the IO board. I do not use VGA.
DIYMockup.png
Scales are probably way off...
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

That was the way I went as teh case had that type of power switch so used what was already there ( top right of case as you look at the picture you linked ).
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

tty2oled is generally not limited to any Display size or type.

But the Arduino Program, the Pictures and the Scripts build by us are currently made for an Single-Color SSD1322 Display with 256x64 Pixel available in white, green, yellow and blue.
The tty2oled device needs an powered USB Port.

The i2c2oled Bash Add-On without an Arduino uses an SSD1306 128x64 Pixel Oled Display and is directly connected to the Nano Board via an breakout board.

I don‘t know about Ready-To-Use tty2oled Devices but you can ask for help.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Cheers venice. I've been reading through the tty2oled thread a bit deeper, i know you built and added one to your case fairly recently. Doesn't seem so tricky to set up. An ESP32 + screen, plenty of links for the right parts i've seen. Glad to see you here btw, it was your "show us your misters" thread that got me started on this path, seeing so many great homebrew cases. I aspire to create something close to yours as you can tell by the mockup above. And little did i know when i settled on this case, that it was the same one you used in the very first post here. Maybe subconsciously it was in my brain somewhere :)

There are 3 sizes available, did you buy the largest, and considering my mockup, do you think it'll all fit?
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I wish retroscaler would have the case for the v6.0

they only have the one with only one power plug, mine has two.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

hitm4n wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:08 pm Cheers venice. I've been reading through the tty2oled thread a bit deeper, i know you built and added one to your case fairly recently. Doesn't seem so tricky to set up. An ESP32 + screen, plenty of links for the right parts i've seen. Glad to see you here btw, it was your "show us your misters" thread that got me started on this path, seeing so many great homebrew cases. I aspire to create something close to yours as you can tell by the mockup above. And little did i know when i settled on this case, that it was the same one you used in the very first post here. Maybe subconsciously it was in my brain somewhere :)
terminator2k2 was the first user showing this case with an MiSTer Board here viewtopic.php?p=243#p243
and give some more infos there viewtopic.php?p=364#p364
hitm4n wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:08 pm ...
There are 3 sizes available, did you buy the largest, and considering my mockup, do you think it'll all fit?
My case is about 210x190x90, means one size smaller than yours.
For an full build I would recommend now the size you have chosen
as mine is really full, see viewtopic.php?p=11953#p11953.

Everything depends on what parts you like to build or modify by hand.
See here viewtopic.php?p=19168#p19168 for a very clean build.
I think terminator2k2 has built nearly each cable connection by hand.

I added the parts to my case step by step but some sort of display what planned from the beginning
means everything else was build around this display.

Get all the parts and then see how they could be arranged.

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Thanks. Yours and terminators are so similar, both neat looking builds in what i think is the perfect case. The recommendation to get the larger case is great, i think i shall order that today now, I do like to plan ahead and buy once and buy right.

I did get yours and terminators mixed up, both of you have continued to post and make updates. Terminator added the MT32 and mini display, you added the larger display, and yours is closest to what i want to achieve. Oh, i see now the TTY2OLED iss your project! Neat.

I have no interest in the MT32, also none in using VGA output or SNAC adapters. I'm quite happy with a one size fits all controller in the 8bitdo SN30 Pro. I might even buy another, the new variant, to go with my other Emulation PC (does Gamecube, PS2, Dos, PSP, Sega32x etc). At the moment i keep having to pull the dongle from one to put in the other. I don't like that.

Can you think of a use for the 4th white led button? I think its going to end up as a spare :)

I don't want to make cables, i don't mind case modding and a teeny bit of soldering, but as plug and play as possible is good.

I suppose i need to understand what use the 2nd SD slot is via the IO board and decide whether i need 2 SD card slots on the front of the unit? I haven't used that 2nd slot so far. Is it required for anything? (I also don't want to limit myself down the road... what do you think?)

I would like the front panel ports to be screwless wherever possible too, so i hope to source usb sockets that fit from behind, same for the sdslot passthrough ports, all in much the same way the buttons bolt in with ring nuts. And all in silver if possible. And in UK... :) Don't want any sneaky custom fees and 4 week delivery times...

Considering the height of your case (assuming mine will be exactly same height), Do you think you could have placed the 3 buttons above or below your display? If not i will have to reconsider my layout. I'm all for balance and symmetry and i want this to look perfect so i can show it off :)
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Eeek, nearly £40 for the case!

Where did you buy yours? AliExpress?
ali1.jpg
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

hitm4n wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:54 am ...
Can you think of a use for the 4th white led button? I think its going to end up as a spare :)

I suppose i need to understand what use the 2nd SD slot is via the IO board and decide whether i need 2 SD card slots on the front of the unit? I haven't used that 2nd slot so far. Is it required for anything? (I also don't want to limit myself down the road... what do you think?)

Considering the height of your case (assuming mine will be exactly same height), Do you think you could have placed the 3 buttons above or below your display? If not i will have to reconsider my layout. I'm all for balance and symmetry and i want this to look perfect so i can show it off :)
A white lightning Button? I wouldn't add it but that's my Opinion.
I still have no power button and switch the MiSTer on and off via the Power Supply.

For the 2nd SD Slot look here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ry-SD-card
I placed my SD Breakout Slot on the back side as you normally don't need to access it.

The 3.12" Display has a mounting height of around 34mm, the 2.8" about 32mm.
The Case has rounded edges, you need to look if there is enough space for the buttons on top of the Display but I think it is.
I personally would place the buttons below the Display.

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

This is great info, thanks.

I do emulate the ZX Next on mine, i use a VHD for that and have gotten used to mouting it on PC, amending the contents and recopying back to mister over winscp, and the other cores that use it currently, not an issue. So i will only mount one sd slot... :) Good to know. I've not quite decided if front or back yet. If it fills a gap and balances things on the front, then maybe the front. If not, you are absolutely right, i don't remember the last time i needed to take the card out and it might go on the back.

The above or below question for the 3 buttons really stemmed from the connectivity of the oled, whether it has wires coming out the top or bottom. I guess it could hinder the placement. Looking at the case specs again it is actually taller than yours, so i do have more vertical space to play with. Screen on top would be my preferred placement... (may re-do my mockup today).

And more questions aorund the display... The TTGO T8 ESP32 i need, there are 30 pin ones and 38 pin ones? There are also 4mb ones and 8mb ones (and 16mb). And some cheaper lower revision boards (v1.1, v1.7). Must it be a v1.7.1, and if so, why? Is 4mb all thats needed, is there any reason to spend a little more and get an 8mb one? And considering the leaps forward in how it works, do i really need one with an SD card slot on it? (i can use WinSCP over WIFI to copy files to the standard boot sd card, so i assume i don't need it).

I found this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304395 ... web201603_

I'm going to try to get a bit of a bulk order in today on Ali

Case (in gold as its the lightest colour, then i can spray it) Going to mask off a Mister logo on top i think to leave a gold logo behind
ESP32 + OLED
1 SD Card extension
4 USB port extensions (or 2 pairs or 1 line of 4, see what i can find)
HDMI extension
Cat5e extension
Power Switch with LED

And one final question, you just created this one by mentioning 2 different oled sizes... 3.12 and 2.8. Same resolutions, but bigger pixels? Or pixels further apart? Which one looks best (i'm thinking i just need to get the biggest one).

Thanks again, hope you don't get sick of my questions :)
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Orderring TTGO's at Ali is sometimes like playing lottery as you may get different devices on what you see, what you order and what you get.
The TTGO T8 v1.7.1 is the one I recommended in the past because of the SD Slot. But I never saw 38Pin versions, only 30 Pins.
With the USB-Version of the Arduino Program there is no need for an SD Slot or 8/16MB Flash size. 4MB is more than enough.
If you are an Arduino User you can use any ESP32 (except the Devkitc V4 which doesn't work correctly) you prefer.
I have two ESP32's working, the TTGO T8 v1.7.1 (with SD) and the WEMOS LOLIN32 v1.0 (without SD).
I can recommend both for the USB-Version of the Arduino Program. And RealLarry created Easy-To-Use PCB's for both ESP's.

Most of the SSD1322 Display have their 16 PIN Header on the side (recommended) and the 3.12 has 2mm (~10%) more Display in height.
I have to use the 2.8" because of available space.

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

I've never bought or done anything "arduino" and its all a bit confusing, theres so many variants.
I found this, description says "WeMos Mini D1 LOLIN32 ESP32 ESP-32 CP2104 Wireless WiFi Bluetooth Development Board Micro USB Dual Core CPU 4 MB Flash Module"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300917 ... web201603_
And only £2

I will get the 3.12 screen, seems much easier choosing that part, its in the basket already. ESP32, not in basket yet :)

This screen.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302020 ... W3qCl&mp=1
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Thats the wrong Lolin32.
The following WEMOS LOLIN32 is correct (Lolin32 1.0.0 printed on the PCB): https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10050024 ... web201603_

And the board must looks like:
WemosLolin32_small.jpg
hitm4n wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:39 am This screen.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302020 ... W3qCl&mp=1
Display looks good, which color do you choose?
Take a look here: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... ki/Gallery

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

I like all the colours, and was hard to choose, my daughter said get white, but what does she know :) For retro-ness, i went "green screen" style. I'm hoping for someone to make the matrix rain in future :)

Thank you so much for the info on the correct LOLIN32 board, i almost bought the wrong one! I'm working with a mentally imposed budget of £100 for this, would rather not waste any money getting wrong parts.

Just added some nifty usb ports to the cart 4xUSB2.0 and 1xUSB3.0. Round, silver. They do have 2 corner screws on each one, but lined up along the bottom i think they'll look great, and they have LEDs on them too. I'll update the mockup and post the shopping list shortly.
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

So another question, i'm looking at the main power switch now. I hate the inline switch i have currently and don't want to have to turn off at wall, or pull a plug, so it must have a switch on the front. I'm looking at the large 30mm ones with the power symbol on and a ring light. White for this one.

But they can have different voltages. Assuming the power supply gives me a 5volt output, does the switch have to support 5v? They go right up to 220v (although its 240 in UK). I intend to have the psu inside the box if i have room and a mains socket on back possibly. May just go with the barrel socket and leave the psu outside, but i like the idea of it all being self contained.

So.. 5v switch?
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

OK, i'm completely committed now. All in...

These are ordered...

Case - Gold, Large - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002584251622.html
Main power switch - White, with power logo - 22mm - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001291695467.html
HDMI Extender - 50cm - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000343433500.html
WeMos Mini D1 LOLIN32 ESP32 CP2104 4mb - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002412550877.html
OLED Display - Green - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33020209506.html
4 x Silver USB2.0 Ports + 1 x Silver USB3.0 port - With LEDs - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001031049731.html
Cat5E Network port Extender - 30cm Straight - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000386127136.html
Micro SD Extender - 25cm - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000405842609.html

Hope i didn't screw it up :)
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

DIYMockup2.png
And the latest mockup, certainly not final design, still playing with ideas.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

The 3 Buttons under the Display, SD Slot vertically left beside the Display.

The SD Extender can be too long with 25cm.
My Dealer‘s recommendation for an Raspberry PI was max.14cm.

Since I bought my one he got new versions (german website)
https://www.ribu.at/MicroSD-Einbaubuchsen

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

DIYMockup3.png
I had the same idea and starting moving things aorund. Ended up with mockup3.
Much better i think.

I've ordered the sd card thing now, i could always shorten it i guess. The one you ordered was out of stick when i first checked, struggled to find something similar elsewhere, i think he's making that custom and 3d printing the case mount part?

Everything else looks alright though eh... :)
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

DIYMockup4.png
And another, i'm totally wasting my whole bank holiday Monday... (but i like it).
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Final pic for now, i really must use my day off for something other than MiSTer shenanigans all day...
I like number 3 layout best (so far) and want to achieve it without any screws on the front (don't care on back).
I know screwless versions of some of the sockets exist, price would have shot up, i was tempted by some chromed dual port USB mounts.
I have a glue gun and access to a mates 3d printer so i should be okay...
DIYMockup3noscrews.png
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

A593BA45-DB2F-4DD7-9669-ECB54A82B6A6.png

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

venice wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:14 pm The 3 Buttons under the Display, SD Slot vertically left beside the Display.

The SD Extender can be too long with 25cm.
My Dealer‘s recommendation for an Raspberry PI was max.14cm.

Since I bought my one he got new versions (german website)
https://www.ribu.at/MicroSD-Einbaubuchsen
I've used his contact form, i'm uk english, i can't find that he posts to UK so i've sent a begging letter. He has a silver barrel type one now, 22mm, absolutely perfect for this and my design. Struggling to find it anywhere else.