Adding hardware electronics to the official MiSTer Project

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
multisystem

Adding hardware electronics to the official MiSTer Project

Unread post by multisystem »

First post - long-time lurking and using MiSTer FPGA. Any advice to my questions below are most appreciated, thank you.

What would be the best way to propose some new electronics for the MiSTer FPGA Project? I could not find many discussions on this aspect. Plenty on core or software development.

I see the official I/O board, memory and Hub etc. designed by Alexey and also 'unofficial' products like the SNAC adaptors, MT32Pi, MiSTix etc. Also great I/O variants like the MiSTercade and I'm wondering what release procedure has the most chance of being adopted/accepted as alternative hardware and/or officially recognised in the community / project.

Of course I appreciate it may be that only electronics designed, tested and approved by Alexey are allowed. That's completely fine, I just wanted to know before designing and releasing something 'unofficially' associated with MiSTer.

If there is no best procedure, I'm quite happy to design and release something, see if anyone likes, wants or needs it, then it could be adopted officially if that's actually an option.

I have specifically not asked about the Open Source Hardware aspect as I get that's obviously part of any 'official release' requirements.

Thanks.
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Adding hardware electronics to the official MiSTer Project

Unread post by aberu »

multisystem wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:28 pm What would be the best way to propose some new electronics for the MiSTer FPGA Project? I could not find many discussions on this aspect. Plenty on core or software development.
The development forum is fine for this --> viewforum.php?f=28 - and if it's your personal project maybe the hardware setups forum is more appropriate --> viewforum.php?f=9
multisystem wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:28 pmI see the official I/O board, memory and Hub etc. designed by Alexey and also 'unofficial' products like the SNAC adaptors, MT32Pi, MiSTix etc. Also great I/O variants like the MiSTercade and I'm wondering what release procedure has the most chance of being adopted/accepted as alternative hardware and/or officially recognised in the community / project.
From what I've seen, having a mostly finished product launched that doesn't need much hardware redesign goes over the best. Teasing it out over too long a period of time makes people think it's vaporware and stop following it. So if I were as talented at this as you indicate you are, I would work on it and have it mostly completed with some fine tuning needed, and get the production timeline. Once you have the production timeline, start teasing it a month or two in advance.

However, if it's something you want user feedback on, then a month or two before the production timeline is established instead, would be better.
multisystem wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:28 pmOf course I appreciate it may be that only electronics designed, tested and approved by Alexey are allowed. That's completely fine, I just wanted to know before designing and releasing something 'unofficially' associated with MiSTer.
sorgelig usually is open-minded to new hardware boards if he thinks there is a good reason for it, a need for it, and that it would work. Sometimes he may respond in a "grumpy" fashion to something, but don't let that get to you, he's just like that sometimes, and there is a language barrier and there are cultural differences often.
multisystem wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:28 pmIf there is no best procedure, I'm quite happy to design and release something, see if anyone likes, wants or needs it, then it could be adopted officially if that's actually an option.
Message sorgelig on here if you want specifics I think. The licensing might matter, he may have some preferences, etc...
birdybro~
multisystem

aberu wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:47 pm The development forum is fine for this --> viewforum.php?f=28 - and if it's your personal project maybe the hardware setups forum is more appropriate --> viewforum.php?f=9
I will post in the development forum when I have something worth showing.
aberu wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:47 pm From what I've seen, having a mostly finished product launched that doesn't need much hardware redesign goes over the best. Teasing it out over too long a period of time makes people think it's vaporware and stop following it. So if I were as talented at this as you indicate you are, I would work on it and have it mostly completed with some fine tuning needed, and get the production timeline. Once you have the production timeline, start teasing it a month or two in advance.

However, if it's something you want user feedback on, then a month or two before the production timeline is established instead, would be better.
I will work with some beta testers for user verification and then post when it's getting close to a stable release.
aberu wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:47 pm sorgelig usually is open-minded to new hardware boards if he thinks there is a good reason for it, a need for it, and that it would work. Sometimes he may respond in a "grumpy" fashion to something, but don't let that get to you, he's just like that sometimes, and there is a language barrier and there are cultural differences often.
I will contact Alexey (sorgelig) and check the general licensing etc. I didn't want to bother him until I had something interesting to talk about.

Thanks for the reply aberu, I really appreciate it.
multisystem

Hello everyone,

The MiSTer Multisystem prototype board is designed and working -
MiSTer_Multisystem_prototype_front.jpg
MiSTer_Multisystem_prototype_front.jpg (179.02 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
I will add more images and some further details in development forum and hardware setups rather in this thread - I just wanted to show that something was finished (prototype).

Cheers,

Richard.
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

very good !!!

and how many do you want do you think to sell it ?
CPC-Power Staff
multisystem

breiztiger wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:11 pm very good !!!

and how many do you want do you think to sell it ?
Thank you.

Yes, it is being designed to sell if people are interested, more details soon, but aiming to be available in October 2021.
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

Count me for buy one if it’s cheap 😜
CPC-Power Staff