The C64 Maxi as a MiSTer Keyboard

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
retango

The C64 Maxi as a MiSTer Keyboard

Unread post by retango »

Hi all,

First, thanks a lot to all for the amazing MiSTer and for this most amazing C64 Core. I share a mod I made to my "The C64 Maxi" (retrogames.biz/thec64) that allows me to use it as a MiSTer USB keyboard, connecting it via the existing micro-USB connector (no case drillling, nor permanently attached cable). The mod still allows me to connect The C64 Maxi to a usb power source using this same connector, and use it normally.

The mod is simple, though hard to implement since you have to solder directly to the Micro USB board connector pads, which are tiny. So only try this mod if you have:
  • Good magnifying glasses
  • A thin soldering tip
  • Good, thin tweezers
  • Kynar wire wrap wire 30 awg
  • Stable pulse
The mod:
You need to connect pads 2 & 3 of the micro-USB connector (the 2nd and 3rd pads of the micro-usb away from the HDMI) to the back side of the 2 middle pins of the keyboard connector, all in the main board - the cables don't cross, run parallel. Thats it. The tricky part is soldering the wire to the micro-usb port. I recommend first to tin the wrap wire with solder, then, using a good curved tweezer, to place the wire exactly on top of the pad, and then apply the soldering iron. It takes more time to prepare everything and find a comfortable way of placing the wire exactly on top of the pad, that the actual soldering, which takes only 1 second. I attach 2 pictures, hope they are helpful..

To use The C64 Maxi on Mister, you will need to remap the keyboard in the C64 Core. I did this manually, and I needed to use another complete keyboard (you'll need F9, F10, F11, see below, and also swap some keys: * @ ; : ). There's a keyboard map for the C64 Maxi on another post on this forum viewtopic.php?p=28246#p28246, though I don't know how to install it and link, but maybe you can do it.

Hope this is helpful.. nothing beats using the C64 Core with a real C64 keyboard.. Only missing the disk drive noises now ha!

Mod3.jpg
Mod1.jpg

C64 Core Keyboard:
  • F9 - arrow-up key
  • F10 - = key
  • F11 - restore key. Also special key in AR/FC carts.
  • Alt,Tab - C= key.
  • PgUp - Tape play/pause
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.