MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Flashback

Re: MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Unread post by Flashback »

Has the first batch started shipping out yet? I'm in the USA if it matters.
alessiman

Unread post by alessiman »

Flashback wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:02 pm Has the first batch started shipping out yet? I'm in the USA if it matters.
Started shipping on the 26th. You should have received notice and a tracking number the day it shipped
Flashback

alessiman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:11 am
Flashback wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:02 pm Has the first batch started shipping out yet? I'm in the USA if it matters.
Started shipping on the 26th. You should have received notice and a tracking number the day it shipped
Hmmm never received an email. Order said expected to ship end of November. I'll shoot them an email to see if there is a status thanks.
multisystem

Unread post by multisystem »

Flashback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:26 am
Hmmm never received an email. Order said expected to ship end of November. I'll shoot them an email to see if there is a status thanks.
Do check with The Retro Group. They are shipping as fast as possible, all the board only shipments went out in just a few days. If you ordered a cased system or deluxe kit it will most probably depend slightly on the choice of case / colour (color) you selected - the 3D prints were being made in batches of colour / style in weekly batch change-overs. Trying to keep everyone happy, but making the most efficient use of the 3D printers.
Flashback

Do check with The Retro Group. They are shipping as fast as possible, all the board only shipments went out in just a few days. If you ordered a cased system or deluxe kit it will most probably depend slightly on the choice of case / colour (color) you selected - the 3D prints were being made in batches of colour / style in weekly batch change-overs. Trying to keep everyone happy, but making the most efficient use of the 3D printers.
I sent a message through the website last night. I did order a case as well so that would make sense. Not trying to seem impatient... just checking since I hadn't heard anything. Thanks
german_user

Unread post by german_user »

About 60% of the first Batch is shipped now wrote Neil on "Discord" today
Armas

Unread post by Armas »

Multisystem arrived to Finland today, and I'm very pleased with it. Assembly was quite straightforward and fun. Thank you!
PXL_20211211_180915968.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
multisystem

Armas wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:55 pm Multisystem arrived to Finland today, and I'm very pleased with it. Assembly was quite straightforward and fun. Thank you!

PXL_20211211_180915968.jpg

Fantastic! - great to hear it all went well. That's a really clean setup you have there, compact screen and wired controllers, good choice.

Cheers,

Richard.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

An underrated retro hardware 'tuber gives you an in-depth look at how the multisystem is built and putting it together. Only a brief glimpse of software at the end, but if you wanted a close look at the hardware itself, here you go.

EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

I got mine yesterday and I have to agree with everyone else's reviews. The new board is very well designed and the quality of the 3D printed case is high. The fully assembled MMS feels dense and very solid. The only thing I would change right now is how the expansion cover is secured as it is very easy to remove or drop while moving the unit.
This being my second MiSTer takes away some of the magic of building and using one for the first time, but I really like the consolized form factor as it allows for easy management of cables, dongles and external SSD and it looks good on the AV cabinet next to other consoles.

I'm looking forward to what both Richard and the community come up with for the expansion port in 2022. A custom Mt32-pi with a Zero 2 and custom daemonbyte controller plates are more than likely to happen and would be quite cool to see.
multisystem

EvilRyu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:12 am I got mine yesterday and I have to agree with everyone else's reviews. The new board is very well designed and the quality of the 3D printed case is high. The fully assembled MMS feels dense and very solid. The only thing I would change right now is how the expansion cover is secured as it is very easy to remove or drop while moving the unit.
This being my second MiSTer takes away some of the magic of building and using one for the first time, but I really like the consolized form factor as it allows for easy management of cables, dongles and external SSD and it looks good on the AV cabinet next to other consoles.

I'm looking forward to what both Richard and the community come up with for the expansion port in 2022. A custom Mt32-pi with a Zero 2 and custom daemonbyte controller plates are more than likely to happen and would be quite cool to see.
Thanks for the feedback, and I'm really happy you feel it's a good system. We are listening to what the community wants in 2022 and beyond, all and any feedback is very much welcome, encouraged and needed.

On the expansion port cover, (dust cover) this was originally a click-in fitting part, but some of the early testing indicated this was frustrating for people. It's good to get feedback on this as the dust cover port drops down, the base of the case also has side rails to allow a slot-in dust cover or front mounted expansion port. The idea being that if the USB 7 or SNAC/USER port is used then the 'module' can slot in from the front. Alternatively if the 46way expansion connector is used then the 'module' can push down (like the existing dust cover) - obviously that will lock in place because of the card edge slot.

I will take another look at the dust cover design, and also consider this with any of the expansion modules designed. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Richard.
EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

multisystem wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:22 am Thanks for the feedback, and I'm really happy you feel it's a good system. We are listening to what the community wants in 2022 and beyond, all and any feedback is very much welcome, encouraged and needed.

On the expansion port cover, (dust cover) this was originally a click-in fitting part, but some of the early testing indicated this was frustrating for people. It's good to get feedback on this as the dust cover port drops down, the base of the case also has side rails to allow a slot-in dust cover or front mounted expansion port. The idea being that if the USB 7 or SNAC/USER port is used then the 'module' can slot in from the front. Alternatively if the 46way expansion connector is used then the 'module' can push down (like the existing dust cover) - obviously that will lock in place because of the card edge slot.

I will take another look at the dust cover design, and also consider this with any of the expansion modules designed. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Richard.
All of this comes from having two toddlers that love touching and grabbing absolutely everything they see :) Under normal circumstances it would not really be a problem. Maybe I just need to use a bit of transparent sellotape to hold it in place :D

The rails are definitely a good design feature for the dust cover as it prevents it from moving horizontally and I suppose in the future having the cover attached to an expansion board and plugged into the expansion connector should provide a much stronger fit. Not sure if that is possible when using the USB/SNAC ports though, as you would be combining a board that plugs in from the front to the case with a cover that slides down from the top? But I guess at that point you can also design a new cover to work around it if needed.
multisystem

EvilRyu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:40 pm
multisystem wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:22 am Thanks for the feedback, and I'm really happy you feel it's a good system. We are listening to what the community wants in 2022 and beyond, all and any feedback is very much welcome, encouraged and needed.

Cheers,

Richard.

All of this comes from having two toddlers that love touching and grabbing absolutely everything they see :) Under normal circumstances it would not really be a problem. Maybe I just need to use a bit of transparent sellotape to hold it in place :D

The rails are definitely a good design feature for the dust cover as it prevents it from moving horizontally and I suppose in the future having the cover attached to an expansion board and plugged into the expansion connector should provide a much stronger fit.
Not sure if that is possible when using the USB/SNAC ports though, as you would be combining a board that plugs in from the front to the case with a cover that slides down from the top? But I guess at that point you can also design a new cover to work around it if needed.
The lower half of the case base has both guides for front slide fitting and top down slide fitting - so a board with USB/SNAC connectors could also have a cover that slides in from the front - that was the original idea for SNAC modules, but I was concerned that anyone pulling on the controller cables may also pull out the 'module'. So that was the reason for also being able to do it on the expansion port as a module from the top.
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

multisystem wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:10 pm
kconger wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:52 pm
Tapper wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:03 am Hello everyone. I'm new here. I don't own a MiSTer yet but am very interested. I'm especially fascinated to see how the Sega Saturn core turns out.

If/when I do get one, I will definitely want this multisystem console setup. It looks amazing.

Either style is good IMO, but I think I prefer B.

Also, I like the white case. Add a red logo and you have a very nice PC Engine looking design! :D
I went with this look with an eInk module I created. Just patiently waiting for my Multisystem to ship :)
That's looking very nice indeed. I will have to try out the secondary display system for MiSTer, that's going to look great in the Multisystem case. Would you consider sharing the modified 3D model files for this?
MMS-MiSTer_tty2epaper.jpg

Received my MMS board this week and was able to test everything. I've posted the model and everything else here:https://github.com/kconger/MiSTer_tty2epaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alessiman

Update: Dave from the RMC Store has contacted me (original email went to SPAM). So all good!

Okie Dokie,

I received my MiSTer Multisystem today in Australia and with Xmas and Covid the shipping time was reasonable (I am just glad i got it before xmas)

p3967646720-4.jpg
p3967646707-4.jpg

The little thank you card was a welcome touch

However there are 3 big issues with my shipment

1.) I only received 3 of the 4 standoffs

As you can see on the attached picture, only 3 of the white standoffs shipped with my order. While i am able to get away with 3 of them its not ideal.

p3967646722-4.jpg

2.) There was no back plate included either!

I am pretty sure one was meant to have been shipped with the order

p3967646686-4.jpg

3.) One of the brass screw mounts of Top Cover was faulty

Obviously bad luck must run in threes for me as the third issue was that the top right (looking down) screw post was filled with 3D print filament making it impossible for me to mount the last screw. I only picked this up when the brass mount fell out when i disassembled it for troubleshooting

p3967646464-4.jpg

It's currently in the middle of an update all but i'll test out one of the cores before bed time.

p3967678078-4.jpg

Overall, i am happy i have received it but the quality control with parts and case have left a sour taste in my mouth considering the price i paid for it. Right now i feel i am paying to be a beta tester for the unit rather than buying a finished product

As a comparison my other MiSTer Case (A Checkmate 1500 Mini) from Stephen Jones was a seamless experience.

Hopefully i can get the missing parts and a replacement top case. Will contact the RMCStore in the morning
german_user

Oh, that's a shame, of course, but it can happen. We humans make mistakes. But I am very sure that the complaint will be processed to your complete satisfaction.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

alessiman wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:53 am As a comparison my other MiSTer Case (A Checkmate 1500 Mini) from Stephen Jones was a seamless experience.
not sure they can really be compared to each other. they've got different markets, price points, fulfilling different needs.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
alessiman

TL:DR - original post was about getting a SNAC adapter working on the multisystem. Found the answer a couple of hours after posting but couldn't delete this post.

My 3 issues with my received multisystem remain
Cyber Akuma

Unread post by Cyber Akuma »

Is it still possible to connect a MT32-Pi Hat to the Multisystem? I am not familiar if it needs a specific port or any USB port will work. Or if it would be possible to somehow make it fit on that front removable expansion slot area.
alessiman

Cyber Akuma wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:15 pm Is it still possible to connect a MT32-Pi Hat to the Multisystem? I am not familiar if it needs a specific port or any USB port will work. Or if it would be possible to somehow make it fit on that front removable expansion slot area.
Yes, the SNAC port is located on the front of the multisystem
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

alessiman wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:29 pm Nevermind - It was user error on my part!
All of them?
As in.
1, you can´t count higher then 3 (even worse then american people who can only count to 12, instead of 24)
2, You forgot to order one or did not look in the package enough.
3, You screwed up the screw :mrgreen:
(sorry :? not meant to be mean, more a bit funny :o )
alessiman

grizzly wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:09 am
alessiman wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:29 pm Nevermind - It was user error on my part!
All of them?
As in.
1, you can´t count higher then 3 (even worse then american people who can only count to 12, instead of 24)
2, You forgot to order one or did not look in the package enough.
3, You screwed up the screw :mrgreen:
(sorry :? not meant to be mean, more a bit funny :o )
opps sorry. i should edit that post.

it was a seperate post about SNAC adapters which i finally got working on the multisystem. So when i got it working i deleted the body of that post and replaced it with that comment. i realise now how what could be read the wrong way
Ripper61

Unread post by Ripper61 »

It seems that my Multisystem has been shipped. Unfortunately the FedEx van that was supposed to deliver it today didn't seem to have it on board. Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow.

P.S. I was not impressed with how the driver treated some of the packages on board or how he sped off in a hurry.
Cyber Akuma

Unread post by Cyber Akuma »

alessiman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:10 am
Cyber Akuma wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:15 pm Is it still possible to connect a MT32-Pi Hat to the Multisystem? I am not familiar if it needs a specific port or any USB port will work. Or if it would be possible to somehow make it fit on that front removable expansion slot area.
Yes, the SNAC port is located on the front of the multisystem
Wait, it goes through the SNAC port? I thought it was supposed to go through standard USB.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Ripper61 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:02 pm I was not impressed with how the driver treated some of the packages on board or how he sped off in a hurry.
Try doing this job, especially in December, and you'll understand the reasons very quickly ;)
alessiman

multisystem wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:10 am
Flashback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:26 am

Hi Richard,

I received my mulitsystem on Monday (Sunday UK Time) and have documented a number of issues with it

I've reported these with RMC Support the same day i received my package and haven't even had an acknowledgement of receipt. Appreciate its coming up to Xmas you are are all no doubt busy with to a deserved shutdown, but it's not a great experience i have to say.

Update 1: Well i have joined the RMC Patreon and now on Discord so it looks like Neils on holidays. Which might explain the lack of response

Update 2: Looks like like original email went to Junk but Dave from the RMC Store has contacted me now so all good!
leejsmith

Unread post by leejsmith »

HI All, I just uploaded my new wedge case to be used with the multisystem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEKKvxdV0tk

some pictures with my 1084s
PXL_20211211_150716196.jpg
PXL_20211220_134332655.jpg
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Cyber Akuma wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:43 pm Wait, it goes through the SNAC port? I thought it was supposed to go through standard USB.
USER port NOT SNAC port!
Since many other things can use it besides SNAC.

And yes the MT32-Pi have always used the USER port.
You can have/use MIDI sounds from the MiSTer in three ways.
1, Internally but the DE-10´s ARM cpu is to weak and you get slowdowns.
2, MT32-Pi.
3, Over network to a "computer" which can be a raspberry pi.
The problem with this way is you will get normal sound from the DE-10 and MIDI sound from the computer and you have to combine them someway.

MT32-Pi do send the MIDI sound to the DE-10 and all will just work.
german_user

The problem is that many do not realize that the UserPort uses a USB 3 socket as a connection. The USB is only purely mechanical ...
Everything else has only USB 2 sockets, so they can be clearly distinguished by their color.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

leejsmith wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:00 pm HI All, I just uploaded my new wedge case to be used with the multisystem.
I love this case, 1+ from me.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.