MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
neogeo81

Re: MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Unread post by neogeo81 »

jca wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:16 pm 4 pin is for regular USB, 5 pin allows OTG.
So for just hooking up the SSD drive 4pins are enough?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I don't know much about the multisystem but I suppose that the USB hub is OTG, so yes 4 pin is enough.
multisystem

Unread post by multisystem »

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:33 pm
jca wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:16 pm 4 pin is for regular USB, 5 pin allows OTG.
So for just hooking up the SSD drive 4pins are enough?
No, The 5th Pin is the USB shield (connected to ground).

If you have a cable with only 4 Single in-line pins they may not be shielded or they have put both the shield and GND into the same crimp pin connection.

Ideally use the 5 pin connections / adaptors for all USB 2.0 ports.
multisystem

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:10 pm
multisystem wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:11 pm
neogeo81 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:13 am

Thanks. Do you have USB pinout to USB adapters you can recommend?
We used exactly the same standard 5 pin configuration as a PC motherboard for internal USB headers - sometimes they are dual (10 pin) but any standard internal 5 pin Single in-line USB cable should work, just check that one end has a ground and shield (ground) wires and the other end has the 5v RED wire. Image below -
I see here 2 different images. one with 5 pin and one with 4 pin. Which one should i search for?
Sorry - That was my mistake - the 4 pin adaptor does not use a shielded cable - not good. ideally don't use that for USB2.0 ports

Use a 5 pin one where the shield and ground are both connected to the 5 pin single-in-line connector.
neogeo81

multisystem wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:46 pm
neogeo81 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:10 pm
multisystem wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:11 pm

We used exactly the same standard 5 pin configuration as a PC motherboard for internal USB headers - sometimes they are dual (10 pin) but any standard internal 5 pin Single in-line USB cable should work, just check that one end has a ground and shield (ground) wires and the other end has the 5v RED wire. Image below -
I see here 2 different images. one with 5 pin and one with 4 pin. Which one should i search for?
Sorry - That was my mistake - the 4 pin adaptor does not use a shielded cable - not good. ideally don't use that for USB2.0 ports

Use a 5 pin one where the shield and ground are both connected to the 5 pin single-in-line connector.
Ok.
It is really hard to find a 5pin to female short cable.... any suggestions from your side which one to buy online, as you are from UK
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

multisystem wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:43 pm No, The 5th Pin is the USB shield (connected to ground).
Good to know and sorry for the confusion due to the fact that on a micro USB plug that pin is used for OTG by connecting it via a resistor to the ground pin and the shield is connected to the metal part of the plug. For an extension cable it makes sense to connect the shield this way as there is no other way to do it.
One learns every day.

Edit:
Just for OTG a simple jumper is sufficient, the resistor allows charging a device besides providing OTG.
Norfolk. & Chance

Unread post by Norfolk. & Chance »

We could get the guy who presents DIY perks to build a brass case for the Mister RMC device which would look way cool
Anyone who’s ever seen that channel knows the kids a genius who is obsessed with brass. :D
EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:47 pm Ok.
It is really hard to find a 5pin to female short cable.... any suggestions from your side which one to buy online, as you are from UK
I am also trying to find one (in the UK) but so far no luck... I am now thinking of passing the usb cable through the scart hole and connecting it to the back usb ports as a workaround but not sure if that would work.

Edit: Would this one work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002O1W7FY
neogeo81

EvilRyu wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:23 pm
neogeo81 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:47 pm Ok.
I am also trying to find one (in the UK) but so far no luck... I am now thinking of passing the usb cable through the scart hole and connecting it to the back usb ports as a workaround but not sure if that would work.

Edit: Would this one work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002O1W7FY
I just received this one and it looks good:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr3V8xG
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

I’m curious about Sorgelig’s opinion on this thing. Has he said anything?
ChloeIsFab

Unread post by ChloeIsFab »

Arrghh, realise it is not mini itx spaced. Seems a strange design choice not to stick to a standard. Has anyone received theirs yet and been able to fit it in a mini itx case? I ordered quickly out of fear of losing out, now it looks like I might be trying to reclaim my money back from selling it on on ebay.
multisystem

C-R-T wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:04 pm I’m curious about Sorgelig’s opinion on this thing. Has he said anything?
What are you actually curious about?

I contacted Alexey (Sorgelig) directly before we completed the initial prototypes. We always openly discuss the design here and anywhere anyone asks questions, we want to support and produce more for the MiSTer FPGA community, long-term plans are part of the overall community feedback as we appreciate anyone that wants to help or take part in more development for MiSTer, both on the hardware and software/core side.

'this thing' is intended as a compatible alternative design to the MiSTer stack, you can use it if you like, or carry on using the MiSTer stack design, so what's the question? Or curiosity? - happy to answer if I know.
multisystem

ChloeIsFab wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:43 pm Arrghh, realise it is not mini itx spaced. Seems a strange design choice not to stick to a standard. Has anyone received theirs yet and been able to fit it in a mini itx case? I ordered quickly out of fear of losing out, now it looks like I might be trying to reclaim my money back from selling it on on ebay.
The PCB mounting holes could not be MiniITX spaced as that would limit the space on the back panel and also put a hole right in power portion of the PCB design. It's a very simple task to jiggle the board into a position that works both for MiniITX and also lots of other existing enclosures / custom designs.

If you need a refund, just ask, we made it very clear in the video's that for general MiniITX cases you may require an adaptor plate.
Multisystem_MiniITX_adaptor_plate_Back_view.jpg
Here is a photo of the Checkmate Mini case (intended to look like an Amiga style machine) this is MiniITX and with a simple 3D printed adaptor it fits perfectly and also allows the full use of the back plate width (if the Multisystem used MiniITX mounting hole spacing it would not allow that many connectors at the back, so you would have lost something like Ethernet or USB or Optical jack etc).
Multisystem_MiniITX_adaptor_plate.jpg
Multisystem_MiniITX_adaptor_plate_Board_fitted.jpg

I hope that helps, we are just trying to make it as universal as possible but still with a console form-factor.

Cheers,

Richard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChloeIsFab

Unread post by ChloeIsFab »

multisystem wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:51 am
ChloeIsFab wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:43 pm Arrghh, realise it is not mini itx spaced. Seems a strange design choice not to stick to a standard. Has anyone received theirs yet and been able to fit it in a mini itx case? I ordered quickly out of fear of losing out, now it looks like I might be trying to reclaim my money back from selling it on on ebay.
The PCB mounting holes could not be MiniITX spaced as that would limit the space on the back panel and also put a hole right in power portion of the PCB design. It's a very simple task to jiggle the board into a position that works both for MiniITX and also lots of other existing enclosures / custom designs.

If you need a refund, just ask, we made it very clear in the video's that for general MiniITX cases you may require an adaptor plate.

Here is a photo of the Checkmate Mini case (intended to look like an Amiga style machine) this is MiniITX and with a simple 3D printed adaptor it fits perfectly and also allows the full use of the back plate width (if the Multisystem used MiniITX mounting hole spacing it would not allow that many connectors at the back, so you would have lost something like Ethernet or USB or Optical jack etc).

I hope that helps, we are just trying to make it as universal as possible but still with a console form-factor.

Cheers,

Richard.
Thanks, Richard, I will give it a go to create an mounting adapter. Though I might need my friend to help me out by 3d printing for me as I currently don't have the room for 3d printer until my new house is built hopefully around Easter. Is there a 3d pattern available for the mounting plate convertor or is it something I will have to design myself, can I ask? I did a similar tray mount to attach my mister stack into my aluminium mini itx case so it is not beyond skills but not having a 3d printer myself and relying on a friend kindly printing out the design sending it through the post to me and the process of snagging the design and tweaking measurements proved quite laborious last time. I also felt it put upon my friend a little though he insisted he didn't mind. My only worry is clearance issues though I know until I have the board and can try it out. Here is hoping :)
multisystem

ChloeIsFab wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:40 am
multisystem wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:51 am

Multisystem_MiniITX_adaptor_plate_Back_view.jpg

Multisystem_MiniITX_adaptor_plate.jpg

Multisystem_MiniITX_adaptor_plate_Board_fitted.jpg

Cheers,

Richard.
Thanks, Richard, I will give it a go to create an mounting adapter. Though I might need my friend to help me out by 3d printing for me as I currently don't have the room for 3d printer until my new house is built hopefully around Easter. Is there a 3d pattern available for the mounting plate convertor or is it something I will have to design myself, can I ask? I did a similar tray mount to attach my mister stack into my aluminium mini itx case so it is not beyond skills but not having a 3d printer myself and relying on a friend kindly printing out the design sending it through the post to me and the process of snagging the design and tweaking measurements proved quite laborious last time. I also felt it put upon my friend a little though he insisted he didn't mind. My only worry is clearance issues though I know until I have the board and can try it out. Here is hoping :)
Hi, We will make the designs for adaptor plates available for anyone to 3D print and also have them in the RMCRetro shop if you just want to buy one ready printed. But first we need to focus on shipping lots of Multisystem orders, otherwise we will have lots of people asking why we are not doing that first. so if you can wait a little bit, we will have them available as soon as possible, we also need to check more MiniITX cases and show more fitted so people can see if it may work for them etc.
EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

C-R-T wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:04 pm I’m curious about Sorgelig’s opinion on this thing. Has he said anything?
He did recently post this in the Facebook MiSTer group:
"Played with 3D printing. Used Juri Fossaroli 3D model. Adopted to Keychron K3 keyboard and all connectors on the back. Used resin printer (Phrozen Mighty 4K). Originally i wanted to integrate MiSTer into Amiga A1200 case, but i think this one looks better and more compact.
Basically this is how MiSTer should look like. Not console look."

So he doesn't like the console form factor :D good thing it is not up to him to decide!
neogeo81

For me i think the Mister should look how the user/owner wants it to look like. I prefer also the console look because the Mister for me is pure bliss for playing the retro consoles and the amazing CPS arcade cores. The computer cores are fun, specially the Amiga one because i had one when i was a little kid, but are to bothersome to use. i like it on a big TV with Controllers. But everyone should use it as they prefer.
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

In retro gaming the line between computers and consoles is a bit blurry at best. Some consoles had keyboards, some computers took cartridges.. let's just have fun with all the awesomeness MiSTer brings us.
neogeo81

Bas wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:37 pm In retro gaming the line between computers and consoles is a bit blurry at best. Some consoles had keyboards, some computers took cartridges.. let's just have fun with all the awesomeness MiSTer brings us.

Yes but a computer taking cartridge doesn't blurr it to be part console. That is just the medium.

Which consoles had keyboards on the base unit?
FelixNZ

Unread post by FelixNZ »

The Creativision for one, and the Atari XEGS was probably the most blurred line home computer/console I can think of off the top of my head. 8-bit era had a few experimental consoles were kind of inbetweens designed to take keyboard and even tape loading modules out of the box
multisystem

Bas wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:37 pm In retro gaming the line between computers and consoles is a bit blurry at best. Some consoles had keyboards, some computers took cartridges.. let's just have fun with all the awesomeness MiSTer brings us.
Even the Commodore 64 had a cartridge port and also a 'console' version that had no keyboard.

MiSTer can handle everything, so regardless if you use the stack configuration, wedge case, miniITX, or the Multisystem 'console' it's all good news for MiSTer, that's all that matters.

Diversity!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

neogeo81 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:37 pm Yes but a computer taking cartridge doesn't blurr it to be part console. That is just the medium.

The Magnavox Odyssey² is one such example:
800px-Magnavox-Odyssey-2-Console-Set.png
The Philips Videopac+ G7400 is another example:
Philips_Videopac_G7400.jpg
But yeah, these are definitely the exception to the rule.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
birdybro~
alessiman

Unread post by alessiman »

For those that have received these (mine is still in transit to oz), whats it like?
allyourbasekris

Unread post by allyourbasekris »

alessiman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:38 pm For those that have received these (mine is still in transit to oz), whats it like?
Ask me again tomorrow!
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

neogeo81 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:37 pm
The Bally Astrocade has a Calculator keypad in the console, you also expected to use program on Basic with it

bally-astrocade-right-1.jpg
0066-02.jpg
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
allyourbasekris

DSC_0131.JPG
Right. Mines here and assembled. Case feels nice and solid and both sides mate really well. Assembly is simple but can be fiddly when routing cables but it's very neat when put together. All in all I'm very happy with it.
allyourbasekris

Assembly video here

https://youtu.be/E69eDlNBpZo
multisystem

allyourbasekris wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:57 pm DSC_0131.JPG
Right. Mines here and assembled. Case feels nice and solid and both sides mate really well. Assembly is simple but can be fiddly when routing cables but it's very neat when put together. All in all I'm very happy with it.
Looking Good. MiSTer is so awesome.

I really hope you enjoy using the Multisystem.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

A good positive review...

alessiman

Unread post by alessiman »

Hetzen wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:12 pm A good positive review...
Great Review. Now I want mine even more now. Hurry up Royal Post and get this to me!!