MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
multisystem

Re: MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Unread post by multisystem »

Sigismond0 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:51 pm Very cool to see a MiSTer build that's focused on looking and feeling more line a console. The "cube" look that most current cases has certainly is an aesthetic of its own, but this will look much better in an entertainment center next to other consoles.

An all in one USB hub, IO board, CEC isolator, RAM module, SCART output, and even power switch is also very nice. Looks like it's very much intended to be a plug-and-play solution.

The only things that stands out as "sort of missing" things are a place to tuck in a 3.5" hard disk, and composite/s-video. And from what I've read on the forums, just converting MiSTer's RGB out into composite/s-video can never be perfect, so no dings there. With CD consoles becoming more and more common, a lot of people are keeping a HDD permanently connected to their MiSTer. Another optional "cartridge" that houses a loose 3.5" disk and a small form factor USB-SATA adaptor could probably fit in the top front semicircle.
I'm looking into mass storage options, ideally SSD HD and/or m2 SATA as an embedded storage - the USB headers can also be used internally so it can all be nicely integrated or modular as desired - I will do some options for enclosures that fit mass storage and have them easily swappable.

Composite and s-video can be done as a module on the expansion port if enough people want it. Full JAMMA will also be done this way as an expansion module.
multisystem

jfceklosky wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:58 pm Very Nice!

Any ETA's on when and where we can get one?
If you follow @RMCRetro over on Twitter you will see regular updates and details about availability for pre-orders etc.
multisystem

Elegor wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:54 am Looks great. I can't see a secondary SD-Card slot though. I know not many cores use it, but it is required for the ZX Spectrum Next and (I believe) the Sharp X68000.
It's tucked away, but yes it has the second SD CARD slot -
MiSTer_Second_SD_card_slot_fitted_Multisystem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
multisystem

Please keep on asking questions and I'll post more about the hardware development of this MiSTer motherboard and the expansion options possible.

MiSTer Multisystem key points (short summary) -

• Designed and manufactured in the UK by Heber Ltd. – A company with 35 years of experience in the design and manufacture of gaming / arcade / amusement and industrial electronics.
    We have designed in only the best components, no corner cutting here. They are also all manufactured and tested in the UK before worldwide shipping. - All really high quality connectors from JST, Molex, Harting, AMP, Amphenol, Wurth, TE, Toby.
    High quality gold plated 4 layer PCB.

• All in one MiSTer I/O, USB and expansion connection motherboard for your DE10-nano in a low-profile Mini-ITX form factor (170mm x 170mm).
    • Compatible with existing MiSTer project cores, I/O and peripherals. (SNAC adaptors for example)

• Integrated powered 7 port USB 2.0 Hub
    • Integrated 128MB SRDAM

• Integrated Power switch / 4A power distribution / over voltage protection / over current protection and PTC thermal trip protection.
    • Integrated SNAC support with onboard level-shifters for classic game pad’s and peripherals.

• RGB Euro SCART Output for SCART based CRT monitor support.
    o Auto 4:3 / 16:9 selection on SCART output
    o Integrated RGB Scart sync – for example no need to enable c-sync in MiSTer INI files.
    o Both audio and RGB video output over a standard 21pin SCART-to-SCART cable.

• Optical TOSlink audio out. 3.5mm Audio Out and 3.5mm Audio in.
    • Onboard fan connections (both 5v and 3.3v)

• Card edge expansion slot for modular upgrades and community enhancements. Examples -
    o JAMMA expansion
    o MT32Pi
    o Daemonbite adaptors
    o Mass storage / SSD
    o Expanded USB – Hubs etc.
    o Other integrated USB and custom I/O boards
    o Future upgrades and enhancements / modules

• Integrated HDMI Isolation bank switches (CEC / I2C / Hot Plug / Power etc.)
    • 3D printed all-in-one enclosure ‘reference design’ available for further customisation / personalisation
    o Example ‘cartridge’ module designs and demo projects for further community expansion.
    o Easy access to the MiSTer micro SD card (and it's also the correct way around).

• Overall a lot less cables / dongles and ‘modules’ sticking out of the MiSTer system!
    • Supported and tested by RMC Retro
    • Designed with the community – for the community.
    • No ‘Kickstarter’ - It’s already designed and will be available ~Q4 2021 from RMC Retro.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Really cool looking design!

RTC module support would be good. What kind of cartridges are planned? I would like Commodore/Atari compatible DB-9 combined with Audio In (ADC). The cartridge shape also looks like it could support a display.
multisystem

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:02 pm Really cool looking design!

RTC module support would be good. What kind of cartridges are planned? I would like Commodore/Atari compatible DB-9 combined with Audio In (ADC). The cartridge shape also looks like it could support a display.
Thank you.

You can fit the official MiSTer RTC module - that was one of the only modules that was not worth adding to the mainboard as it has it's own connector anyway on the DE10-nano.

Audio In is on the front section so you can use the ATARI SNAC and connect the 3.5mm jack directly into the analogue port - alternativly dual DE9 connectors and the analogue could be done as a 'cartridge module'

You could also have analogue joysticks / spinners and other Arcade controls as dedicated cartridge expansion options.

And yes, the port supports display expansion - JAMMA and other output like composite video or s-video could be done as an expansion module.

Cheers,

Rich.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

multisystem wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:20 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:02 pm Really cool looking design!

Thank you.

You can fit the official MiSTer RTC module - that was one of the only modules that was not worth adding to the mainboard as it has it's own connector anyway on the DE10-nano.

Audio In is on the front section so you can use the ATARI SNAC and connect the 3.5mm jack directly into the analogue port - alternativly dual DE9 connectors and the analogue could be done as a 'cartridge module'

You could also have analogue joysticks / spinners and other Arcade controls as dedicated cartridge expansion options.

And yes, the port supports display expansion - JAMMA and other output like composite video or s-video could be done as an expansion module.

Cheers,

Rich.
Great to hear that all of that is possible. Really awesome project.
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

Looks amazing. I know lots of people use Twitter, but if you could also provide a method on which to be kept in the loop without Twitter... that would be great.

I've been trying to convince myself on buying another MiSTer setup for a BVM I'm currently working on. So, this is definitely something of interest. The design lends itself more to being "carried" around. So, I like that aspect. I'm the only one in my social circle that has one and I think this will probably get more people into it. I can only spread the gospel of the MiSTer so hard.

Anyway, thank you for this and I'm definitely interested in acquiring one when available.
retro

Unread post by retro »

Looking forward to this!
Apostrophe

Unread post by Apostrophe »

Fantastic board! When will it be available and at what price approximately?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

d909 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:40 pm So close to perfect.
But I sure do wish it had composite and/or svideo. Us Americans never had RGB back in the day, and all our old CRT tvs use composite.
adding composite and SVideo to the board would have required adding an AD724 chip and extra circuitry. There is limited space on the mini-ITX standard. I think they looked at the market for this device and realized hdmi, scart, vga was all that was needed in general to appeal to the widest base.
birdybro~
jfceklosky

Unread post by jfceklosky »

For AV and SVideo, one could still use this dongle device plugged into the VGA port:

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

multisystem wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:47 am Please keep on asking questions and I'll post more about the hardware development of this MiSTer motherboard and the expansion options possible.

• Integrated SNAC support with onboard level-shifters for classic game pad’s and peripherals.
SNAC is one of the most variable areas; is this set up with a USB3-shaped connector, or a HDMI connector ?
Also, the on-board level-shifters will be useful for 5V peripherals, but will 3.3V peripherals also be supportable (say, via a switch) ? Some systems like Gameboy Advanced would require 3.3V connections.
multisystem

aberu wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:39 pm
d909 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:40 pm So close to perfect.
But I sure do wish it had composite and/or svideo. Us Americans never had RGB back in the day, and all our old CRT tvs use composite.
adding composite and SVideo to the board would have required adding an AD724 chip and extra circuitry. There is limited space on the mini-ITX standard. I think they looked at the market for this device and realized hdmi, scart, vga was all that was needed in general to appeal to the widest base.
I intend to do a composite and s-video expansion module along with also a JAMMA expansion - both may have a limited number of users, but I fully understand that it's good to have options especially for regions where RGB/SCART is not common - even here in the UK we often had composite or RF as standard and didn't upgrade to RGB cables for years after the consoles were released.
multisystem

dshadoff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:53 pm
multisystem wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:47 am Please keep on asking questions and I'll post more about the hardware development of this MiSTer motherboard and the expansion options possible.

SNAC is one of the most variable areas; is this set up with a USB3-shaped connector, or a HDMI connector ?
Also, the on-board level-shifters will be useful for 5V peripherals, but will 3.3V peripherals also be supportable (say, via a switch) ? Some systems like Gameboy Advanced would require 3.3V connections.
Yes. This is the USB3.0 port for 5v tolerant SNAC adaptors - and you can also use the serial user port in 3.3v mode for something like the MT32pi connecting directly to the raspberry Pi for example - and it has enough power to supply the Pi correctly - not trying to squeeze high current via the USB3 connector.
multisystem

twonunpackmule wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:38 pm Looks amazing. I know lots of people use Twitter, but if you could also provide a method on which to be kept in the loop without Twitter... that would be great.

I've been trying to convince myself on buying another MiSTer setup for a BVM I'm currently working on. So, this is definitely something of interest. The design lends itself more to being "carried" around. So, I like that aspect. I'm the only one in my social circle that has one and I think this will probably get more people into it. I can only spread the gospel of the MiSTer so hard.

Anyway, thank you for this and I'm definitely interested in acquiring one when available.
I understand - I will be here on this Forum as much as possible. Neil over at RMCRetro is handling the beta testing stage, and sales of the multisystem.
I will make sure we keep up to date on here. Twitter will have regular updates and other social media / websites etc.

I hope a few people will pick up on the project and talk about it, all interest is good and frankly if we can make sales it brings down the unit price for everyone.

The goal is to get it out to people who want it, not to get rich. We are looking long-term support and development in the community on this and more, building trust, community support and a good brand.

MiSTer does what Next-Gen don't ;)
mattsoft

Unread post by mattsoft »

This looks really cool, very nice work! Sort of similar to the MiSTix ITX board being made by Edu Arana, but more of a focus on making it a "console" instead of a "computer". Definitely looking forward to this going on sale.
Narenek

Unread post by Narenek »

This looks awesome. I know Neil loves the MiSTeR so good to see him involved... just another reason to stay subscribed to his channel :)
retro

Unread post by retro »

Any chance of an early release for the members of this forum? :D
multisystem

Hi Everyone,

A quick update on the MiSTer Multisystem price and availability -

Neil posted some further details up on Twitter about the price and availability of the MiSTer Multisystem - (Available Oct 2021) - https://twitter.com/RMCRetro/status/1425840941936566272
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
multisystem

And also an update on the development side -

The tweaks, fixes and production changes for manufacturing are all going well. We plan to have another batch built to the final production design during August after feedback from testers.

We also started sending out to beta test units to people in the UK, USA and Canada (* sorry no European / Japan testers quite yet)...
multisystem

And one more update on the 3D printed cases as a lot of people have been asking -

Just doing a few minor tweaks to the 3D printed enclosure design so it's both easier to print and stronger, then we plan to release the files so people can print / test and evolve the 'reference design'

The reset button, user buttons light pipe for the 3 LED's are all 3D printed.
Light_pipes_for_Multisystem.jpg
The 'Light pipes' are just semi translucent 3D printing filament, but even if you don't fit the filament light transmission is very good up to the top case.
Light_pipes_for_Multisystem_fitted.jpg
Also any feedback on the enclosure colours / options would be greatly appreciated. I'm liking the grey 'NES look' case, but the bright white is also a great finish and looks more like the PC Engine :)
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

If you want a french tester 😜😂🇫🇷
CPC-Power Staff
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

throAU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 am so long as this is compatible with 2x memory boards for the upcoming cores that may need that, I'll be all over this.
There is no cores announced that would use two Memory boards.
But if and when it does happen, you have to abandon Analog video output. As there not enough GPIO Pins.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

dot-bob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:33 pm

Use USB C 5V or USB C power delivery instead of a barrel connector. With USB C you don't have to worry about someone using the wrong power adapter with the board plus it makes the design feel more modern and refined.
I completely disagree with this. Not all phone chargers are made the same, and some barely puts out 2 amps.
Barrel connectors are designed for power delivery. USB C got roped in as power delivery by stupid marketing execs and forced Engineers to a "square peg in a round hole" solution with no clear documentation or standard.

The Nintendo Switch is a horrible example by the way, as there nothing there that follows USB C PD power delivery specs, as the USB C PD specs were still being discussed when Nintendo decided to use USB C for something it wasn't intended to at the time.

It's not that hard to find a decent Wall Wart.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Knowing how thorough Neil is, I suspect, there will be some game-changing add-on's in the pipeline too.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

loving the colour options, Reminds me of a konix or pc engine !
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

Wish they had gone for a flat top. That two semi-circle cut out is just nasty!
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

darksakul wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:34 pm
throAU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 am so long as this is compatible with 2x memory boards for the upcoming cores that may need that, I'll be all over this.
There is no cores announced that would use two Memory boards.
But if and when it does happen, you have to abandon Analog video output. As there not enough GPIO Pins.
No, but pretty sure I saw something here by sorgelig about possibly using the second GPIO for another memory board for better memory bandwidth for future cores that require it.

And yes, you'd give up analog IO as it stands.
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

Hello there, have you tried the fuzzy skin setting in one of the latest Cura updates ? I think It gives a more premium looking result...

Let me know if you need testers in EU, I have two different full setups already so don't need to keep the hardware once done.

Cheers