Cannot boot core with this PSU ?

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Atohmdiy

Cannot boot core with this PSU ?

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

Hello,
Right now i am using a 4A 5V mean well psu with my mister. I want to use this psu for something else, and some times ago i bought this psu :
https://fr.rs-online.com/web/p/alimenta ... au/1242208

It's 5x 5v out with 8A capability. I have other thing connected to it but it's very low poser. Mister is booting, but when i try to load a core nothing is happening. I find it strange, maybe the psu have a maximum output per connector, maybe the 8A / 5 = 1.6A ? I don't see it specified in the datasheet, or maybe the output current is not good enough for the Mister ?
Regards
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Cannot boot core with this PSU ?

Unread post by aberu »

Are you using a USB to barrel jack cable?
birdybro~
Atohmdiy

Yes indeed.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Could very well be that it´s 1.6A per port, or it´s even possible that one or two ports can deliver more and 1/2 or all other port/s less.
So you can try one port at a time.
I would probably try with only the mister connected too.

It can also be that you get to low voltage and the mister is the most sensitive to that.
One other failure point can be the cable and in three ways the barrel jack/usb connector/the cable itself.
As in could be bad connection in the barrel jack/usb and to thin cables in the cable!

If you could open up the "usbcase" and take pictures we can maybe be able to determine if ports are limited or not, but it´s probably a welded case so only a smash/or cutting will open it, but take a look you never know.

And lastly it can off course be overspecced crap too that would never make the 8A claim!

Took a look again before posting and saw that it had one usb-c port.
If so then it´s likely that that port is capable of much more then the rest, maybe buy a usb-c to barrel jack cable and try?
Atohmdiy

Hum i didn't saw but there is marking on the side. It says 2.4A 12V Maximum per ports. The problem come from here i guess.
The usb to jack dc i use is round inside, i try another one, it's exactly the same connector as the mean well supply, but the mister don't want even boot with it. This cable is working i use it to power my gbs 8200.
I try every port with only the mister connected, without more success. I will stick to the mean well.
Enthropy

Unread post by Enthropy »

Do you have a switch between the PSU and MiSTer? Crappy switch can ruin your day, because it's internal wiring can have high resistance when you push high current through it.
I had the same problem. I am using a single PSU, cable and switch for MiSTer and a powered USB hub full of nonsense (2 external harddrives (not SSDs), wifi, bluetooth, arcade stick and keyboard/mouse dongle). With a generic cheap switch, it didn't bother to boot. After changing the switch for a chunky one (10A rated Marquardt fit for a cement mixer), it works without any issues.
When it comes to switches and power cords, overkill is the best solution.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Atohmdiy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:43 pmYes indeed.
Yeah, I wouldn't use a usb to barrel jack adapter like that. Those kinds of multi-usb power chargers often have issues charging evenly. I'm somewhat familiar with them because so many people had issues getting them to work with their Pi4's when those came out. I'd advise using the barrel jack with a regular power supply. The voltage regulation, the safety, the consistency of the power delivery is going to be a lot better with a standard adapter, typically.
birdybro~
Atohmdiy

Enthropy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:37 pm Do you have a switch between the PSU and MiSTer? Crappy switch can ruin your day, because it's internal wiring can have high resistance when you push high current through it.
I had the same problem. I am using a single PSU, cable and switch for MiSTer and a powered USB hub full of nonsense (2 external harddrives (not SSDs), wifi, bluetooth, arcade stick and keyboard/mouse dongle). With a generic cheap switch, it didn't bother to boot. After changing the switch for a chunky one (10A rated Marquardt fit for a cement mixer), it works without any issues.
When it comes to switches and power cords, overkill is the best solution.
My mister is in a 1U case, there is a jack dc connector that go through the blister board. I have a switch (high quality shurter one) that go through the blister two pin connector for switch. So i don't think this is the problem.
aberu wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:27 pm
Atohmdiy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:43 pmYes indeed.
Yeah, I wouldn't use a usb to barrel jack adapter like that. Those kinds of multi-usb power chargers often have issues charging evenly. I'm somewhat familiar with them because so many people had issues getting them to work with their Pi4's when those came out. I'd advise using the barrel jack with a regular power supply. The voltage regulation, the safety, the consistency of the power delivery is going to be a lot better with a standard adapter, typically.
Rs insist on the fact it's high quality, i guess it's just another chinese crap. I will keep using the mean well.

Thank you both for your answers.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Atohmdiy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 am Rs insist on the fact it's high quality, i guess it's just another chinese crap. I will keep using the mean well.

Thank you both for your answers.
I think it may be high quality for charging phones and maybe even for running Raspberry Pi's, but the DE10-nano should really have at least 2A supplied to it, but if you use add-on hardware you will want more than 2A most of the time. :)
birdybro~