Power DE10 and usb hub with one wire?

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
8bitAndy

Power DE10 and usb hub with one wire?

Unread post by 8bitAndy »

Hi, I'm making a mister case and want to include a powered USB hub, for instance one that can power a portable LCD monitor, or maybe a portable hard drive.
I'd like it to work with just one cable instead of a cable for the DE10 and a seperate one for the hub.
Has anyone created a setup like this?
Enthropy

Re: Power DE10 and usb hub with one wire?

Unread post by Enthropy »

I have tried something like that (5V DC (female jack on the case) into power switch and then one cable into the DE10 and one into the hub) and I was not satisfied. Powered hubs that work witch 5V input (available in my area) are not capable of delivering enough power for my setup (harddrive, wifi, bluetooth, keyboard/mouse dongle, arcade stick). Switching to 12V powered hub solved all problems.

If you want one power cable for your case, try using something like Meanwell MPD-65A (dual voltage power supply) and a beefy 12V hub.
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

USB doesn't deliver 12V to regular devices. It tops out at 5V. Higher voltages are for fast charging of batteries. To power more devices you're going to need more current (amps) rather than voltage.
Enthropy

Unread post by Enthropy »

Bas wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:04 am USB doesn't deliver 12V to regular devices. It tops out at 5V. Higher voltages are for fast charging of batteries. To power more devices you're going to need more current (amps) rather than voltage.
Hubs capable of delivering more power (high current) tend to have 12V input, because with 5V, their input current would reach stupid values. No sane manufacturer wants to pair their hub with a 5V 10A brick of a power supply and with a cable as thick as my finger.

This is the one I am using: https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-network ... ifications
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Ah right, input voltage does make sense. There was a topic here some time ago where someone fed 12V into their DE10. Less than stellar results.