Terasic released a smaller and modular DE-10 Nano

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
artfakt

Terasic released a smaller and modular DE-10 Nano

Unread post by artfakt »

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 05&No=1211

It's 30$ more than a DE-10, but we could design a custom board with all the I/O in the back and an integrated usb hub in the front that could connect to a DDR4 edge.

In the last page they also talk about a discount volume price:
https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 1&PartNo=6
ExCyber

Re: Terasic released a smaller and modular DE-10 Nano

Unread post by ExCyber »

Can anyone tell if it's potentially MiSTer-compatible? It seems like the actual FPGA/SoC chip is the same, but I'm not sure what issues to look for in I/O or HPS differences. By "MiSTer-compatible" I mean that support for it could be added to mainline MiSTer releases while retaining compatibility with the existing hardware, at worst just treating the baseboard as a different variant of SDRAM board + I/O board and any changes on the Linux side gracefully detect the difference.

If MiSTer compatibility isn't feasible, I doubt that a distinct platform with specs so similar to MiSTer would be worth the effort of supporting.
dano

Unread post by dano »

uhhh I still haven't bought a mister yet...should I wait??
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

Wait for what? To pay a higher price for a smaller board which might not be supported by the main project since it will lead to dev overheads? Get the MiSTer now ;)
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

dano wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:46 pm uhhh I still haven't bought a mister yet...should I wait??
No. There's no guarantee that this will lead to anything, and even if it does, it will be more expensive than a regular MiSTer setup while only adding small improvements.
saucier

Unread post by saucier »

This could be a great for a MiSTer handheld, something along the lines of the Circuit Sword.
Gymcrash

Unread post by Gymcrash »

It looks like it's missing the second set of GPIO pins - given that the SDRAM module takes one set up, you'll be very limited about what additional extensions can be added. Probably only good for the non-SDRAM cores.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Actually i tired to explain why this board is not compatible with MiSTer functionality. But every month there is some one "discovering" this "new" (actually more than 1.5 year ago) board and rushing to write the "news"
This board has not enough GPIOs to implement all MiSTer functions such as SDRAM. Also this board has missing many connectors so it absolutely requires its main docking board. Making MiSTer specific docking board will be very expensive as it will include many chips and multi-layer PCB. Overall it will be much more expensive system which at the end will miss SDRAM => useless.
Gymcrash

Unread post by Gymcrash »

Thanks for giving the final word Sorgelig. Useless board for MiSTer setups.