Connecting a Fan Without an IO Board

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
elJonnyRage

Connecting a Fan Without an IO Board

Unread post by elJonnyRage »

I have a 4 pin Noctua 40x10mm 5V fan that I purchased (they no longer had the 3 pin model in stock). What are the proper GPIO pins to connect this to the DE-10 Nano without an IO board? I have Dupont cables/jumpers if that helps.

Update: It looks like you would connect it to GPIO_1[11] and GPIO_1[12] based on the attached diagram from the instruction manual. The only issue is how to convert the 4 pin to 2 pin with the Dupont cables.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nat

Re: Connecting a Fan Without an IO Board

Unread post by Nat »

If you have a Noctua 40x10 PMW fan with the 4 wires (green, blue, black, yellow) black is GND and Yellow is 5V
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
elJonnyRage

Unread post by elJonnyRage »

Nat wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:14 pm If you have a Noctua 40x10 PMW fan with the 4 wires (green, blue, black, yellow) black is GND and Yellow is 5V
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Any one else who want's to buy a fan. Do yourself a favor and save the money for the Noctua fan. Yes it is a little bit less noise as a cheap 5V fan, or the stock fan that comes with the I/O board but still anything else but silent. Normally I'm a big Noctua fan, but the 40x40mm one is not as silent as you maybe used to from the big PC fans or CPU coolers they sell.

Buy a cheap 40 * 40 * 10mm 12V fan like they sell for 3D printers. Connect it as said bevor to GPIO1 11/12. The fan will rotate slower so you won't hear it, but has enough air flow for cooling.
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
Epyc

Unread post by Epyc »

Use the Arduino pins to pull Vcc5 and GND. I used the Vcc9 to pull 9v for my 12v Noctua fan. viewtopic.php?p=3462#p3462
Epyc

Unread post by Epyc »

See pinout below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Locutus73
Core Developer

Unread post by Locutus73 »

8A8433DD-42BF-479E-B1EE-1D4076A12DF0.jpeg
I used Arduino GND and VCC3P3 in order to make my 5V fan spin slowler and quieter.

Regards.

Locutus73