Wiring up a Mister FPGA

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Sartis

Wiring up a Mister FPGA

Unread post by Sartis »

Hello, I'm about to wire up my mister. I have attached a sketch (its bad I know) of how I think the wiring would work but I want some verification that it is correct. I'm just learning electronics wiring so please bear with me. Does this look correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MostroW

Re: Wiring up a Mister FPGA

Unread post by MostroW »

you've hooked up the black terminal of the switch to v- on the psu and then hooked up the red terminal of the switch to the red line of the barrel connector.

you also hooked up the v- of the psu to the black wire of the barrel connector, this way you have two negative lines running to that barrel connector.

you might want to connect v+ to your black power switch connector, this way power flows to the barrel connector.

assuming this is a latching power switch, else you have a switch that only let's power flow whilst you keep that connector pressed down.
also is this connector rated for the (possible) current draw?
Sartis

Unread post by Sartis »

Its a momentary switch but I can get a latching version if needed. so should I not have 2 lines running to v-?
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

well you need a + and a - to get the current flowing, so redirect that black terminal wire from the switch to the v+ on the PSU.

and if you got a momentary switch then the only time it makes contact is the moment you press it, when it's latching it is making contact the moment you press it down once and stops making contact when you press it again.

there's also some extra circuitry like The Polulu where you can wire up a momentary contact and the power wire to this pcb to make it a latching on / off circuit.
read up on their website if you're interested, it might offer the funcionality you are seeking.
Sartis

Unread post by Sartis »

ok, thanks for the info.