Show Us Your MiSTers

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Epyc

Re: Show Us Your MiSTers

Unread post by Epyc »

Just built my 2nd MiSTer setup. I made a “case” out of the Noctua packaging with a pair scissors. Running the 12v fan @9v. Near silent acoustics. Not bad for free. The setup will live inside my Taito Vewlix a Arcade cab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hewhoisred

Unread post by hewhoisred »

Reposting this by request, from the old forums:

YES, it is possible to RGB your MiSTer!

MiSTer_Overview1.JPG

I decided to put my MiSTer into a steel and aluminum instrument case, made by a company called Hammond. It's a bit expensive and overkill, but my device is now VERY protected.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf2/9C-1458.pdf
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/248067

I chose the 8"x8"x3" variation. I picked that size because I wanted a roomy case and it's fairly close to a "traditional" console in size. The NA NES for comparison is 10" wide by 8" long by 3.5" high.

The aluminum front and rear panels were milled using a manual (non-CNC) milling machine. My uncle is an accomplished metal worker and helped me with that. If anyone else wants the (rather complex) measurements needed to precisely cut out all of the holes for the front and especially the rear panels, let me know, as I think I can still get his notes.

Here is the back view, without the connectors. The DE10 and IO board are flush with the rear panel. The 3-hole aluminum piece was designed so that I can route new expansion cords in the future should I wish to do so. It separates into two halves and is held together internally with a strong rubber o-ring. Currently I have one power cord (shown) coming out that powers the marquee LEDs, which are driven by a 5v Arduino Nano (clone) which is inside the case.

MiSTer_back.jpg

Here is a back view with all of the cabling in place.
The network port is made by routing an extension cable internally to the DE10.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX86YD4

MiSTer_back_cabling.jpg

The front panel has three external buttons that also function as indicator lamps (LEDs). They plug into the external connectors on the IO board. I liked that I could consolidate the button and LEDs into one compact unit, streamlining things a bit.

I purchased them from Adafruit:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1439

The 4 usb ports on the front panel are made using 2 extension cables running inside and connecting to a 4-port unpowered hub (https://www.amazon.com/MakerSpot-Access ... B01JL837X8) which is connected to the MiSTer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FS4UB4M

MiSTer_Overview3.JPG

Internally things are a bit of a rat's nest. Cabling takes up space surprisingly fast. The DE10, which is cooled well via a 5v Noctua 40mm fan and good case venting, is covered up by the large acrylic marquee MiSTer logo that I designed. It is was made by spray painting the back side of a carefully measured rectangular piece of "plex" with black spray paint. After drying, a CNC laser was used to etch away the vector based logo. The laser was set to "frost" the logo so you can't sharply see the 8x6 LED matrix that lives underneath it. Even with the frosted effect, at first you could still clearly see each individual LED, so I built a little stage for the plex to sit on that moved the LEDs about 1/3" away from them. By defocusing the LEDs this way I was able to diffuse their light and achieve the smooth rainbow effect that I wanted. As for the LED strips themselves, they are WS2812B's:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LSF4QDM
I cut six 8 LED strips and pasted them down above and below each other to create a matrix. After wiring them, they can be driven with a cheap microcontroller. I used an Arduino Nano for this task:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q9YBO88
It was easy to find code online to drive the rainbow effect I wanted. I had to modify it a bit, but it's not hard to do cool things with these LEDs.
The marquee itself has a 1/4" lip which is pushed up tightly into a corner-rounded rectangular hole which was cut in the steel top "clamshell" of the instrument case.

Note: The LEDs are not powered by the DE10 itself. These LEDs can draw a lot of current, and although I certainly could power them that way, I did not want to overtax the DE10's circuitry, so I opted to take an old wall wort PSU I had and power them externally.

MiSTer_Inside.jpg

Please forgive this video that I made, but as a demonstration it works well enough I think. The audio is public domain and I had some fun playing around with effects--so feel free to mute. It was fun to make, but I know the footage ain't that great and I'm still a beginner.

Link to MiSTer Case Video---> https://youtu.be/hSAArUm49Aw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hewhoisred

Unread post by hewhoisred »

Supplemental notes for cutting out holes:

Ok, here are the notes. My uncle's milling machine, and thus his notes are set in inches, so metric folks will have to do some conversion.

The scans are from classic yellow pad paper, but I cleaned them up some:

These first 2 will probably be the most useful for those looking to do a flush to the panel style case:

Panel-Measurements-Notes_1.jpg
Panel-Measurements-Notes_2.jpg

These will be less useful, unless you get the same extension cabling that I purchased, which are linked in my first post.
Panel-Measurements-Notes_3.jpg
Panel-Measurements-Notes_4.jpg
Panel-Measurements-Notes_5.jpg
goosewerks

Unread post by goosewerks »

NEC PC-FX MiSTer project:

My goal was to rehome the MiSTer inside a PC-FX shell without modifying the shell. I also wanted to load full EverDrive libraries onto it for every core that interested me, so that meant I needed a lot of storage and a micro SD wasn't going to cut it. Using a single power supply, a 1TB HDD and a USB hub, I was able to design and print a somewhat modular internal structure that would fit into the PC-FX shell and allow the MiSTer to be held securely and be 100% removable.

It's almost finished! Need to wire the Power & Disk LED and create a new mounting bracket for them. Debated doing something with the original Power switch but I just made it sprung and it's for decoration. The plunger is almost 1" and bumps into my internal enclosures, not worth the headache (for now).

MiSTer FPGA
-1TB WD Blue HDD
-USB Hub
--2X front USB
--1X EdiMax WiFi adapter
--1X HDD Adapter
-Noctua Fan
-Mean Well 12v 5v PSU
-Fused PSU Connector
-HDMI Extender
-USB Extenders

Spent ~20 hours designing from scratch to be a completely drop in solution to rehome the MiSTer. The NEC PC-FX shell has ZERO modifications done; I have the original internals that function fine if I ever want to swap them back in for some weird dating sims.
JUNKER Seed

Unread post by JUNKER Seed »

That’s beautiful. My goodness, the perfect case.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

Finally, a use for a PC-FX (that isn't something to do with school girls and tentacles :lol:)
goosewerks

Thanks! Yes this system sadly cannot fulfill the basement dwelling weeaboo hentai dating sims right now.

Here's a shot of the nearly finished internals. I thought I had taken more photos but it seems I haven't.

PSU bracket had a few interactions and the HDD / de10 holder went through a few as well. It all slides together and used the original screw posts to attach to the PC-FX.

The noctua was too tall and needed to be moved to the side at an angle; might see about a blower type fan for the heatsink as it might not be getting enough air as-is.
goosewerks

Full render of the assembly in Inventor
Gymcrash

Unread post by Gymcrash »

These are very impressive fits! I was looking into picking up a neo Geo X dock and putting the de10 board in there, but from what I've seen it's hard enough to get the raspberry pi in there, so not sure if the de10 would fit.
goosewerks

Gymcrash wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:05 am These are very impressive fits! I was looking into picking up a neo Geo X dock and putting the de10 board in there, but from what I've seen it's hard enough to get the raspberry pi in there, so not sure if the de10 would fit.
Without an IO board and the standoffs removed, maybe? I guess I need to look at those NGX docks again; I remember people putting the Pi3 into them with full sized USB cords and hubs etc.
hyp36rmax

Unread post by hyp36rmax »

goosewerks wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm NEC PC-FX MiSTer project:

My goal was to rehome the MiSTer inside a PC-FX shell without modifying the shell. I also wanted to load full EverDrive libraries onto it for every core that interested me, so that meant I needed a lot of storage and a micro SD wasn't going to cut it. Using a single power supply, a 1TB HDD and a USB hub, I was able to design and print a somewhat modular internal structure that would fit into the PC-FX shell and allow the MiSTer to be held securely and be 100% removable.

It's almost finished! Need to wire the Power & Disk LED and create a new mounting bracket for them. Debated doing something with the original Power switch but I just made it sprung and it's for decoration. The plunger is almost 1" and bumps into my internal enclosures, not worth the headache (for now).

MiSTer FPGA
-1TB WD Blue HDD
-USB Hub
--2X front USB
--1X EdiMax WiFi adapter
--1X HDD Adapter
-Noctua Fan
-Mean Well 12v 5v PSU
-Fused PSU Connector
-HDMI Extender
-USB Extenders

Spent ~20 hours designing from scratch to be a completely drop in solution to rehome the MiSTer. The NEC PC-FX shell has ZERO modifications done; I have the original internals that function fine if I ever want to swap them back in for some weird dating sims.
IMPRESSIVE!
darksakul

Re: Show Us Your MiSTer

Unread post by darksakul »

terminator2k2 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:09 pm cheers all for the comments...

usb : https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/type-a-u ... s/8621567/
So i did find a US supplier for those USB connectors
https://www.newark.com/cliff-electronic ... dp/75Y0457

I did order them as I am inspired to make my own case.
I try to remember to post photos when I am done.

Well I build a case, but I don't like the cheap aluminum it was made from so I going to redo it with another case.

Avoid this POS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B886KYI/
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
bluescrn

Unread post by bluescrn »

This was my first 3D-printed attempt - no IO board, but a USB hub and 8Bitdo reciever inside, and most connections rerouted to the rear.

That was was my first attempt at designing anything using Fusion 360, so it's a bit crude, but it served it's purpose until I recently upgraded to a 128MB memory board, which is slightly taller and doesn't quite fit. So now I'm trying to design a completely new case rather than just tweaking+reprinting the old one...
muthuxmut

Unread post by muthuxmut »

thats a great first go.
i love the way you've built up a partition for the usb hub that holds the 8bitdo reciever in place. clever :)
Galaga Tragic :)
bluescrn

Unread post by bluescrn »

My second attempt at case is done. Was inspired by the first post in this thread, and tried to make something in a similar style to terminator2k2's case, but 3D printed.

Quite happy with how the exterior came out. Maybe not the best colour choice, but I had the sparkly purple and grey filaments in, and they give a nicer finish than regular PLA. About 20hrs of print time in total on a Prusa i3 MK3s. Only a couple of minor rough spots where it 'blobbed' a bit.

Interior could still be improved though. I removed the case from the USB hub to mount it at the rear, which worked OK (only 3 of 4 ports are accessible though). Still got the 8bitdo dongle inside, also minus it's case, but that's a bit of a bodge, soldered connections inaccessible port ont the USB hub and hot-glued down.

Fan/vent positioning is poor though. And the microSD has become a pain to access. It'll do for now, until the next upgrade that doesn't fit...
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Nice. I like the style of your case.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

Would it be considered off-topic to show off one's overall retro setup in this thread? My actual MiSTer is kinda pedestrian (so far), but it is part of a fairly elaborate retro console gaming environment I've built up over the years.
muthuxmut

antibolo wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:56 pm Would it be considered off-topic to show off one's overall retro setup in this thread? My actual MiSTer is kinda pedestrian (so far), but it is part of a fairly elaborate retro console gaming environment I've built up over the years.
i wouldnt consider it OT
MiSTer does not work by itself
lets see it :)
coyo5050

Unread post by coyo5050 »

Awesome case design @bluescrn! Nice to see something other than the generic rectangles. Do you think you will ever share the files?
terminator2k2

Unread post by terminator2k2 »

@bluescrn very nice and different from the usual 3d printed tower of power type case......its turned out really nice
Mmsiphone

Unread post by Mmsiphone »

https://imgur.com/gallery/OW99vtP

Here is my Astro City/PVM/LG OLED setup!
muthuxmut

Mmsiphone wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:02 pm https://imgur.com/gallery/OW99vtP

Here is my Astro City/PVM/LG OLED setup!
great setup Mmsiphone
love it
p60091

Unread post by p60091 »

Here's my stealthish MiSTer Famicom. Bought a broken Famicom a few years ago from Japan and originally wanted to throw a pi in there, but this is much better imho. I love the fact that the 8bitdo fc30 controllers fit directly in the side slots. It integrates a 4A psu, a 3 port usb hub and 2 controller dongles.
20200717_110425.jpg
20200717_111211.jpg
20200717_110728.jpg
The one thing I wanted though was add a hardware reset switch without the IO board, but I don't understand electronics well enough to read the schematics. If anybody here knows of a way, please let me know.
Gymcrash

That's amazing! Well done on such a clean retrofit too!
rafael

Unread post by rafael »

My humble setup
IMG_20200723_191002.jpg
IMG_20200723_190833.jpg
IMG_20200723_190752.jpg
IMG_20200723_190742.jpg
IMG_20200723_190731.jpg
Veto

Unread post by Veto »

Nice work!
goosewerks

p60091 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:13 pm Here's my stealthish MiSTer Famicom. Bought a broken Famicom a few years ago from Japan and originally wanted to throw a pi in there, but this is much better imho. I love the fact that the 8bitdo fc30 controllers fit directly in the side slots. It integrates a 4A psu, a 3 port usb hub and 2 controller dongles.

The one thing I wanted though was add a hardware reset switch without the IO board, but I don't understand electronics well enough to read the schematics. If anybody here knows of a way, please let me know.
This is fantastic!
Juri

Unread post by Juri »

here are my mister actual setup :)

m1.jpg
m2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg

the printable case is freely available here :) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4343777
JF
Gymcrash

That's awesome, love it for a computer form factor.
Lapulid2

Unread post by Lapulid2 »

Juri wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:43 am here are my mister actual setup :)

the printable case is freely available here :) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4343777
Spectacular!