Show Us Your MiSTers

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Show Us Your MiSTers

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I've added an RGB fan to my MiSTer. It works really well in combination with the existing LEDs. It changes colors smoothly with some nice looking color gradients. I shortened the lead and added a new connector to it. More info in the description.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

17418.jpg
17432.jpg
17420.jpg
17427.jpg
17426.jpg
New version of case with 2.5" removable enclosure upgrade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Sorgelig wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:04 pm New version of case with 2.5" removable enclosure upgrade.
Looking excellent, that is an impressive large volume print for a resin printer!
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

I also love the NES cart slot.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
NinjaWarrior

Unread post by NinjaWarrior »

Here is my TheVic20 implementation. The specs:

Terasic DE10 Nano - IO Board - 128 MB SDRAM - I2S mod - 500GB SDD - MT32Pi OLED - 10 USB
Vic20Supercharged1.jpg
Vic20Supercharged3.jpg
Vic20Supercharged2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Xbytez wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:09 pm
Sorgelig wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:04 pm New version of case with 2.5" removable enclosure upgrade.
Looking excellent, that is an impressive large volume print for a resin printer!
My printer is Phrozen Sonic Mighty 4K. Not very large. Case has several parts which i glue by same resin manually and then use sanding paper. This gives monolithic look of the case.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Sorgelig wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:30 pm Case has several parts which i glue by same resin manually and then use sanding paper. This gives monolithic look of the case.
Isn't Ricardo working on an injection molded enclosure after that design?

I'm wondering of the costs involved to make this available to the end user (and of course of the retail price) :o

In any case (pun intended), I hope it'll accommodate the official add-ons as they are, and not require some new fancy 'motherboard', such as the ones which seem to be springing up lately left and right.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

lamarax wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:50 pm Isn't Ricardo working on an injection molded enclosure after that design?

I'm wondering of the costs involved to make this available to the end user (and of course of the retail price) :o

In any case (pun intended), I hope it'll accommodate the official add-ons as they are, and not require some new fancy 'motherboard', such as the ones which seem to be springing up lately left and right.
I'm not sure about Ricardo's plans for moulded cases. It definitely needs quite large investment. But he is going to sell at least printed cases. As you see my case uses standard boards. Also modular design is more flexible than AIO.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

I built a "custom" arcade cabinet/kiosk out of an old industrial washer control panel from work. I took it apart and threw away all the old useless electronics from it, but then it sat in my garage for a couple years.
IMG_20190202_192745.jpg
I wasn't even sure how I'd turn the control panel into something new at first. I was thinking about maybe turning it into something RetroPie-powered, but I'd been following the MiSTer project and thought it was interesting. When srg320 announced he was working on a Saturn core, I knew it was time to get a DE10-nano. It's a good thing too, because that was just before the first time the price went up.
20210606_203758.jpg
Now it's a permanent retro station in the living room, and while the kids don't give it a lot of attention my wife and I have fun with it on a regular basis. If I had realized how often I'd be using the computer cores I probably would have given myself more room for a mouse.
20211129_225311.jpg
alessiman

Unread post by alessiman »

Hi all,

I am looking forward to getting my hands on the RMC Multisystem but in the meantime have setup another MiSTer inside a checkmate 1500 mini running dual monitors

AmunRE

Unread post by AmunRE »

Hey all,
i build a case around the 9.7 inch ipad screen and put the mister inside.
I also used a rpi zero 2 for the mt32pi and attached it on the inside .
Makes a great portable gaming machine :D
1.jpg
2.jpg
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

woah.. very very nice.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

What I rebuilt my Mister as back in September/October time frame
And I only now took pics

I don't know the make or model of the case, I found it used on eBay for cheap.
Discovered afterwards the part of the front panel is transparent, and I poped out the original Blue LED case Light for a LED trio that happen to come in the right colors.

It uses a MiSTX board for IO and USB, but it's also plugged into a Side mounted USB hub to get more active USB ports.
Going against advice, I went with a Pico PSU. The 12 volt rail is powering a side mounted 60mm case fan.

Inside Case Pic. Its a Checkmate MiSTX Board in a decidedly non-Checkmate case as this one much smaller.
I want a more of a Console than a Computer case, and None of the other ITX MiSTer boards haven't been announced at the time.

Front IO from inside the case, used a Laser bear SD card extender as otherwise the ATX plug on the MiSTX gets in the way
Made a custom piece out of some prototype board to mount the SD card extender too.

8bF20Gi.jpg

With the SSD Drive hotswap, I used a Slim OOD Drive bay adapter with a 2TB SSD. And yes I made cuts to fit the fan and the SD Ram.
I can easily pull the drive without disassembly if I need to swap files too large for FTP.

6FWcXDu.jpg

Front of case

cNYf4TQ.jpg

Front of case with IO LEDs lit

tT7J1hp.jpg

Hidden USB and SD card in the front panel

5Hy51mx.jpg
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Psyko_2000

Unread post by Psyko_2000 »

20220204_180310.jpg
20220204_180357.jpg
20220204_180342.jpg
20220204_180327.jpg
CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

Another Lee Smith wedge case! 🤘

This time printed in navy / gray matte PLA. I made a couple of small mistakes with supports on this one and... Well they were small enough that I don't want to start the entire thing over again. Keyboard is an Akko Horizon TKL.
20220203_145328.jpg
20220202_121551.jpg
20220203_145400.jpg
currymetaloxide

Unread post by currymetaloxide »

Here's my almost final design. I just need to create clear lights and some buttons in the holes on the front top side.

And the Power button design is supper jank at the moment :¬)
case.JPG
DSC_0239.JPG
DSC_0240.JPG
DSC_0238.JPG
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

Some very awesome builds here. 8-)
daveo

Unread post by daveo »

63FB735C-8BB3-4116-A426-6FA46F677C82.jpeg
I just put mine in the cardboard mailbox it arrived in.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Ghetto MiSTer? :D
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

Multisystem with 1TB SSD
iPad3 Screen in VESA mounted laserbear case

Accessories shown:
8BitDo SN30 Pro
8BitDo Arcade Stick V2
SEGA Astro City Mini Arcade Stick
Junkfood SNACKBOX Micro
NEWMEN GM610 60% Gaming-BT-Keyboard
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

This is my Amiga 1200 MiSTer build I did back in early 2019.

It is pretty much unchanged 3 years later except I have upgraded the SD card several times now :)
Amiga 1200 MiSTer 1001.JPG
Amiga 1200 MiSTer 1003.JPG
Amiga 1200 MiSTer 1002.JPG
Amiga 1200 MiSTer 1004.JPG
Amiga 1200 MiSTer 1005.JPG
Amiga 1200 MiSTer 1006.JPG
Amiga 1200 MiSTer 1007.JPG
Amiga 1200 MiSTer 1008.jpg
kconger

Unread post by kconger »

Here is my MiSTer build.

My Retro Computer MyVic20 Mini-ITX Case https://myretrocomputer.com/product-category/cases/
MiSTer Mini-ITX Ironclad Plus https://www.d3fmod.com/product/mini-itx_ironclad_plus/
picoPSU-90 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085JYJW9C/
2x USB 2.0 Type A Female to Dupont 5 Pin Female Header https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5KZC9W/
2x MiSTerAddons 128MB SDRAM https://misteraddons.com/products/sdram-xsd-2-9-128mb
Internal Sandisk 32GB SD Card
Retroflag Cartridge Enclosure with Sandisk 4TB SSD https://retroflag.com/Hard-Drive-Enclosure.html
Internal USB Wifi/BT https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0886DXQBX/
Mt32-pi PRO Internal Hat https://www.d3fmod.com/mt32-pi-pro-hat/
8bitdo USB Adapters for all controllershttps://www.8bitdo.com/wireless-usb-adapter-2/
Wireless LED marquee https://github.com/kconger/MiSTer_web2rgbmatrix
Custom-built slim-line cartridge slot and custom-designed cartridge label.

outside.jpg
inside.jpg
cart-side.jpg
Side.jpeg
cart.jpg
Controllers.jpeg
matrix-on.jpg
wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by wizzo »

This is my MiSTer build. I take it to people's houses and move it a lot between my PC and TV, so my goal was to pack in as many features as I could while keeping it portable, protected and working well offline. It's not the most interesting looking thing but it's very functional.

I'm using a heavily mangled version of viperman3's case on Thingiverse that I've added some extra space to and covered up all the ports I don't use.

It has most of the standard stuff: digital IO, USB board, dual ram, noctua fan, RTC board, wifi, bluetooth, and 2.4ghz dongles.

Extras I've added: 2tb M.2 drive (what a waste over USB2), internal mt32-pi, 2 oled screens for the mt32 and i2c2oled, and USB C power supply (3A).

mister_front.JPEG
mister_back.JPEG
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

bbond007 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:20 pm This is my Amiga 1200 MiSTer build I did back in early 2019.
It is pretty much unchanged 3 years later except I have upgraded the SD card several times now :)
lovely conversion.. just needs a little mister badge where the a1200 badge was..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Juri

Unread post by Juri »

wizzo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:28 am This is my MiSTer build. I take it to people's houses and move it a lot between my PC and TV, so my goal was to pack in as many features as I could while keeping it portable, protected and working well offline. It's not the most interesting looking thing but it's very functional.

I'm using a heavily mangled version of viperman3's case on Thingiverse that I've added some extra space to and covered up all the ports I don't use.

It has most of the standard stuff: digital IO, USB board, dual ram, noctua fan, RTC board, wifi, bluetooth, and 2.4ghz dongles.

Extras I've added: 2tb M.2 drive (what a waste over USB2), internal mt32-pi, 2 oled screens for the mt32 and i2c2oled, and USB C power supply (3A).
where can i find the left display?
JF
wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by wizzo »

Juri wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:08 pm where can i find the left display?
I get these things from random sellers on eBay and AliExpress. Search for “white oled ssd1306 128x64”. They’re meant to be the same model but the left one has a smooth finish on the screen and the right is matte, just what I had lying around. They both look the same irl when they’re on

If you mean what’s on the screen it’s the i2c2oled project
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

I thought to revisit this thread and see the latest setups. I'm still a 'stack' but with Blisster instead of the USB board but that's nothing to send photos yet. I'm loving the wedge cases and am revisiting my A1200 attempt. I've also had some crazy ideas I'll share here in case others want to try a build...

1. A spare Apple IIGS 3.5 inch disk drive case. (I'm not particularly nostalgic for this though).
2. Movie tie-ins came to mind [rectangular brick props], and with all the flashy LEDs the MiSTer offers, I think a Ghostbusters trap-themed case should be a thing!
3. The MiSTer Fusion script project put me in 'Back to the Future' thinking, and I thought similar for a Doc Brown's Plutonium case. I wouldn't destroy a 4k Box set special edition box to do it (plus not a good 'box' material for a case). This might look tenuously reated to Resident Evil/Biohazard styles.
4. I looked at the Mr. Fusion coffee grinder prop but ultimately was just surprised I'd ever utter the sentence "A Mister Fusion prop replica is not the form factor I'm looking for in my Mister retro gaming setup." Still, others may like it.
5. An interesting possibility would be to cut holes in my special edition Yahtzee game that came in a flux-capacitor box replica (with working lights!). I'd rather store the dice and game pieces elsewhere and use the case for a MiSTer or Pi build. I prefer electronics to plastic tinkering which has probably held me back.

One idea I tried was my new A1200 case and Kipper keyboard (FANTASIC BTW!!). I was actually able to fit a Pi3 in as well. I found myself needing access too often and the cable management wasn't sleek enough. Now with external HDD options, I may revisit this if someone has backplate designs? The coolest would be a 'laser bear ODE'-like SD adapter for the A1200 case's 3.5 floppy drive for easy access (and putting micro-Sd into standard size adapter).
lufeig

Unread post by lufeig »

Just another stock MiSTer kit from AliExpress with a blue & yellow OLED display (i2c2oled) + a Raspberry Pi 3B in a Geekworm slim metal case with a MT32-pi hat, customized with another blue & yellow OLED display
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

wizzo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:28 am This is my MiSTer build. I take it to people's houses and move it a lot between my PC and TV, so my goal was to pack in as many features as I could while keeping it portable, protected and working well offline. It's not the most interesting looking thing but it's very functional.

I kinda like it, did you post the remix on Thingiverse?
birdybro~
wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by wizzo »

aberu wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:54 am I kinda like it, did you post the remix on Thingiverse?
I'd be happy to upload it on dropbox or something if you're interested but imo it's not really in a state for other people to use. The size increase is pretty finely tuned to the specific bluetooth and wifi dongles I had and somewhat the m.2 to usb board I pulled out of a random enclosure. I'm also using custom usb cables including one I made from scratch for the m.2 drive

There's soldering involved for the mt32-pi and USB C power. Hot glue for the front screens. Some kapton tape for keeping the pi and m.2 in place and not touching the case. It all works great and is very secure but it's kind of a mess in there lol

Here's an example of the mt32-pi. It's not an insane amount of work and somewhat flexible but it is a bit of a weekend project not print and drop in
mister_mt32pi.JPG