Show Us Your MiSTers

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
muthuxmut

Re: Show Us Your MiSTers

Unread post by muthuxmut »

cathode wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:16 pm I'm sure some MiST owners won't be happy but I see it as a tribute. Some might see it as a scene from Alien! :o
definately a tribute to a fallen solider.
looks very smooth :)
Galaga Tragic :)
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Ei3MxFCXsAsil0J.jpg
I got this little perspex case off etsy.. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
HMPoweredMan

Unread post by HMPoweredMan »

Got the classic PC setup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
allyourbasekris

Unread post by allyourbasekris »

DSC_0084.JPG
Just a basic stock case with an added heatsink and fan. To makeup for the lack of anything particularly exciting I took the picture at a dramatic angle!
Mikeosoft

Unread post by Mikeosoft »

Hey all, thanks to this community I have a MiSTer. What an awesome system!
This is still a WIP, so I printed the Mister 5.2 case on thingiverse for a test, and here's where my system stands as of today:

FjzSkGj.jpg

I have a 128MB SDRAM expansion, Analog IO board, RTC Clock, and am waiting to receive a USB Addon board. For now I am using one of my Micro-USB B to female USB A adaptors I have from my various Raspberry PI zero kits. I am not sure what my long term case goal is for this, but I might try to make something from wood, or design something out of an old hard drive shell.

Here's a shot of the print in progress on my old Anet A8 that I still use today:

8TD5YrG.jpg
Geords

Unread post by Geords »

HMPoweredMan wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:12 pm Got the classic PC setup
Mine's rocking a pc style setup too and and I've got similar logi speakers, but with white trim. Are yours shielded? If they are I might try and get black ones like yours. Mine have to be situated 'just so' to keep my hp7540 monitor happy.

I have a few cheap circular MiSTer stickers going free if you ever feel the need to cover over that logi logo. They're not the highest quality, mind... :-)
20201010_095043.jpg
HMPoweredMan

Unread post by HMPoweredMan »

Geords wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:56 pm
HMPoweredMan wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:12 pm Got the classic PC setup
Mine's rocking a pc style setup too and and I've got similar logi speakers, but with white trim. Are yours shielded? If they are I might try and get black ones like yours. Mine have to be situated 'just so' to keep my hp7540 monitor happy.

I have a few cheap circular MiSTer stickers going free if you ever feel the need to cover over that logi logo. They're not the highest quality, mind... :-)
Shielded magnets? I don't know. I haven't had any issue with them sitting right next to the monitor.

I think the trade-off is you won't have USB audio or bass cobtrils but you get Bluetooth.
jedimatt42

Unread post by jedimatt42 »

My 3D printed and now painted case:
IMG_20201010_120709018_HDR.png
IMG_20200918_201751017.png
I prefer to have all the ports in the back, except controllers. And I am mostly setup on my other 80s era retro systems for Sega 6 button controllers. So I went with this custom build-out...

a Zero4U pi usb hub, 2 MonsterJoysticks 9pin adapters, and lots of panel mount adapters... so HDMI, power, ethernet, and 2 powered USB ports in the back. 2 9pin joystick/controller ports in the front, a fan is mounted on the inside left wall.

Red, yellow, and green LEDs on the face to the right, and OSD and User buttons on the face to the left. Power switch on the back.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4602046
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Finished one as a Christmas present on the right and my personal one to the left.
birdybro~
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Thanks when are you sending it :mrgreen:
Geords

Unread post by Geords »

Nice. Where did you buy your fan from?
allyourbasekris wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:47 pm
Just a basic stock case with an added heatsink and fan. To makeup for the lack of anything particularly exciting I took the picture at a dramatic angle!
allyourbasekris

Geords wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:26 am Nice. Where did you buy your fan from?
It's this one https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... -heatsink/
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Hi@all,
inspired from the very first post of this thread (I really love this case) and an picture of an special USB-Hub Version
with Pin Headers instead of USB Connectors I built my version with an spare USB PCB.

The four front USB Ports are from an 10 years old PC USB Slot Plate i found at the bottom of my old computer parts box.
The USB Hub connection cable was bought from AliExpress.
I just had to modify the connector shells a bit.

At Amazon I found an 90° USB 3.0 Adapter and the needed breakout cable for an external SNAC Port but this function is still untested.

No CNC, all handmade as you can see 8-)

It's not completly finished (need to polish the plates again) but usable.

IMG_6095.jpg
IMG_6096.jpg
IMG_6102.jpg

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

terminator2k2

Unread post by terminator2k2 »

@Venice - Nice job.....which colour did you get?

thats 3 in total i know of now with this case.... :)
Geords

Unread post by Geords »

Ha! I buy all my stuff from Nat, too. Must have missed that on his site.

Never underestimate the power of a good dramatic angle...

allyourbasekris wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:34 pm
allyourbasekris

Geords wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:36 pm Ha! I buy all my stuff from Nat, too. Must have missed that on his site.

Never underestimate the power of a good dramatic angle...

allyourbasekris wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:34 pm

Agreed!
DSC_0089.JPG
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

terminator2k2 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 pm @Venice - Nice job.....which colour did you get?
Thx, i choose the black one.
Btw. die LED Buttons looking great 8-)

Black.jpg

0xdeadbeef

Unread post by 0xdeadbeef »

Laser-cut case based on MiSTer Laser Case v1.0 by Mike Stimpson. Converted to DXF and changed/optimized for IO Board v6.1, USB Hub v2.1 and RTC Board v1.3 plus some other cosmetic changes. Archive with the DXF drawings and 3D model for the knobs can be found here.

Material is 3mm "Acrylic GS" (double sided frosted Stone Grey [S2 9T21]). Buttons are 3D printed,
MiSTer Side 2.JPG
MiSTer Full.JPG
Keyboard is a "DREVO Tyrfing 88 Key V2" with UK layout.
KneeTie

Unread post by KneeTie »

Awesome case!
0xdeadbeef

Unread post by 0xdeadbeef »

If you meant mine: actually the material is awesome. Bit more expensive than normal acrylic but it looks (and feels) just so much better.
KneeTie

Unread post by KneeTie »

0xdeadbeef wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:05 pm If you meant mine: actually the material is awesome. Bit more expensive than normal acrylic but it looks (and feels) just so much better.
Sure did. The finishing does look premium.
Derick2k

Unread post by Derick2k »

After seeing so many great cases I decided to jump in and put one together. All off the shelf parts with some acrylic mounting plates I cut. I didn't want to solder much/remove headers, etc..just wanted to do it quickly, if I would have gone with a custom wire job I could have put it in a much smaller case, a bit more neatly. Went a large 120mm fan, very quiet while moving massive air, didn't make sense to pay almost the same price for the smaller 40mm fan from Noctua. Now to actually turn it on, hopefully, it doesn't go up in smoke :lol:
IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1873.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg
IMG_1876.jpg
IMG_1883.jpg
IMG_1881.jpg
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Derick2k wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:54 am After seeing so many great cases I decided to jump in and put one together. All off the shelf parts with some acrylic mounting plates I cut. I didn't want to solder much/remove headers, etc..just wanted to do it quickly, if I would have gone with a custom wire job I could have put it in a much smaller case, a bit more neatly. Went a large 120mm fan, very quiet while moving massive air, didn't make sense to pay almost the same price for the smaller 40mm fan from Noctua. Now to actually turn it on, hopefully, it doesn't go up in smoke :lol:
Very nice work i was thinking of something along those lines as well, but with a few tweaks to it.
That relay you're using is it a momentary or normal switched relay?
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Here is my setup, a MiSTer with acrylic case + Daemonbite Arcade stick with working coin mech

EoVESPj.jpeg
7ycaEdk.jpeg
LaopzYv.jpeg

https://imgur.com/a/CGtjrGJ
Fear is the mind killer!
Derick2k

MostroW wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:49 pm
Derick2k wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:54 am After seeing so many great cases I decided to jump in and put one together. All off the shelf parts with some acrylic mounting plates I cut. I didn't want to solder much/remove headers, etc..just wanted to do it quickly, if I would have gone with a custom wire job I could have put it in a much smaller case, a bit more neatly. Went a large 120mm fan, very quiet while moving massive air, didn't make sense to pay almost the same price for the smaller 40mm fan from Noctua. Now to actually turn it on, hopefully, it doesn't go up in smoke :lol:
Very nice work i was thinking of something along those lines as well, but with a few tweaks to it.
That relay you're using is it a momentary or normal switched relay?
I still have to tweak some things, as this was the 1st attempt just wanted things to be plug and play. Also have a dust filter incoming, and will replace the 120mm with a 140mm and slow it down to around 900rpm to quiet it dont even further.

Does the fan need to be connected to the IO board/Does the Mister register if there is fan connected?

Im also using a mean well 5v 5a medical grade psu, I love the feel of this psu over the stock one.

Important - You have to get a latching relay, the power button on the case is momentary as it's in almost all modern pc cases so regular relay modules won't work. If you have a regular switch then a regular relay should work.

I will probably do another build once I learn all the details on how the mister works, what inputs, etc. I want to use, devices, etc... need to figure out the wireless lan, possibly a better usb hub? Once I figure out what works, I will probably build a custom high-end aluminum case with nice front/rear panels.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Derick2k wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:54 am After seeing so many great cases I decided to jump in and put one together.
Very nice built.
Just a question about the SD Breakout as I am thinking about to use such an adpater as well.

Is the SD working normal?
I read about reduced speed or general sd card detection problems if you use such an SD breakout adapter.

Cheers

Derick2k

venice wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:35 am
Derick2k wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:54 am After seeing so many great cases I decided to jump in and put one together.
Very nice built.
Just a question about the SD Breakout as I am thinking about to use such an adpater as well.

I read about reduced speed or general sd card detection problems if you use such an SD breakout adapter.

Cheers
It's a micro sd to sd extender, so I haven't noticed any differences in its use/speed? You could use a micro sd to micros sd extender, but I like the full sd card size.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Derick2k wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:17 pm
venice wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:35 am
Very nice built.

Cheers
It's a micro sd to sd extender, so I haven't noticed any differences in its use/speed? You could use a micro sd to micros sd extender, but I like the full sd card size.
To expand on this, there could be a noticeable reduction in bandwidth as a result of there being lower capabilities of the cable AND a reduction in latency using such a cable, but it's highly unlikely that this impacts the performance of the MiSTer as the files you are loading and interacting with are much smaller than something like 8k resolution raw images.
birdybro~
mike4t5

Unread post by mike4t5 »

Hi all, I recently got myself a 3d printer so I thought it would be a good opportunity to make my own case for the mister. I didn't want to go for the tried and tested 3d printed cases as I wanted a power button and for it to feel a bit more finished. I came up with this design. Hope you like it.
20201109_231558.jpg
20201109_231637.jpg
20201109_231751.jpg
ARCADEAGES

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

mike4t5 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 pm Hi all, I recently got myself a 3d printer so I thought it would be a good opportunity to make my own case for the mister. I didn't want to go for the tried and tested 3d printed cases as I wanted a power button and for it to feel a bit more finished. I came up with this design. Hope you like it.
Two fans?